Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian…

Standing in Another Man's Grave (edition 2012)

by Ian Rankin

Member:Amsa1959
Title:Standing in Another Man's Grave
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Orion (2012), Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:2013, crime, Scotland, police

Standing in Another Man's Grave by Ian Rankin

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride (allan.hird)
    allan.hird: Very similar feel and tone with a balnce on the crime and the protaganist's life

English (44)  Dutch (3)  All languages (47)
Rebus is back and Ian Rankin has kept up the standard. The story zips along well and all the relationships are well developed with the added bonus of the evocative Scottish locations. ( )
  stephengoldenberg | Apr 6, 2016 |
I've often enjoyed Inspector Rebus books...he's now retired and working with a cold case unit as a civilian. He misses his official status though and manages to get himself attached to a case that may be related to his cold case. The story was good but frankly, Rebus himself is his own worst enemy and I'm tired of him. ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Rebus is retired but back in a cold case unit. He uses his old techniques and contacts to investigate a case of missing women that stretches out quite a few years.
Complaints is keeping an eye on him as well, suspecting his too casual contact with criminals.
Rebus is still Rebus, even though his age makes his maverick activities a real worry.
Favourite author. Continues to be a good series and great protagonist, even though Rebus finds he's a dinosaur in the modern police force. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Ian Rankin and Rebus are back (ignoring that Rebus went out with memory issues that aren't addressed). But who can complain. Predictable good fun. Glad he's back. Hope they make more BBC TV shows too--probably not, alas. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
I make no bones about it, Ian Rankin is one of my two favourite authors (the other is James Lee Burke) and Rebus is my favourite character. I not Scots, and I have never been a copper, but otherwise I feel we are kindred spirits; particularly in terms of grumpiness, beer, malt whiskey and, especially music. I can safely say I own all of the music referred to in this book.
So, obviously I am pleased Rebus is back and not just for this book! This is not the best Rebus book but it is up there in terms of quality. Writing, plotting and characterisation are all excellent.
It is a pet moan of mine, as a grumbly old man, that genre writers are not afforded the respect they deserve. Why isn't Rankin ever nominated for a non genre prize? The pretentious pomposity of the literatii is my guess. ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |

Ian Rankinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cobelens, GertjanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
RIP Jackie Leven
He'd made sure he wasn't standing too near the open grave.

Two Scottish detectives investigate the disappearance of a hitchhiking teenage girl, their only clue a photo sent from the missing girl's cell phone.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,261,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible