The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley

The Glass Butterfly (edition 2012)

by Louise Marley

Member:aviddiva
Title:The Glass Butterfly
Authors:Louise Marley
Info:Kensington (2012), Edition: 1 Original, Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:Early Reviewers, fantasy

The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley

The Glass Harmonica by Louise Marley (cammykitty)
    cammykitty: Similar format, with music, modern times compared to the past, and Ben Franklin

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this both haunting and enchanting. Haunting because of the unanswered questions raised by Tory's flight from a deranged client. Even if she's isolated and computer-shy, it's hard to see how Tory allows herself to be caught in such a situation. On the other hand, it gives the novel a striking narrative push. Louise Marley's evocation of terror and hope in the journey is both thorough and delicate.
The interwoven dream sequences (or are they?) of Puccini's servant Doria are more earthy; but both are grounded in the operas of Puccini and the titular glass butterfly.
At times, it wasn't clear what this novel was - romance? thriller? urban fantasy? historical fantasy?. I finally decided that part of the author's intent may have been to include elements of the quotidian and fey, a story that doesn't fit in a category but which was an absolute pleasure to read. (Received through early reviewers.) ( )
  KarenIrelandPhillips | Feb 21, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have not yet finished this book. I loved Terrorists of Irustan, but have not been able to become involved this book. So it sits on my bookshelf taunting me and i wonder why that one worked so well for me when this one leaves me cold. Checking other reviews, it looks like I'm not alone in my sentiments.
  gipsieee | Feb 5, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a big fan of Marley's TERRORISTS OF IRUSTAN and CHILD GODDESS, so I was surprised at how disappointed I was in GLASS BUTTERFLY. I found the two stories within it really didn't hang together - it didn't make sense that they should be woven together in such a manner. The contemporary story needed a major brain check at the door as I just couldn't believe Tory's flight from danger and reinvention of herself could happen in that way. The historical bit was more interesting, and I might have enjoyed it more if that was fleshed out into a novel, without the contemporary piece.
On the other hand, her writing is still lovely and I always love a good starting-over tale. I just might stick with her fantasy.
I received my copy through LIbraryThing's Early Reviewer program.
  Ananda | Aug 28, 2013 |
The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley
Name of this book attracted me first, then the story line.
I can't even imagine the planning that went into creating a whole new life for yourself. Not sure how she could leave the people she did.
Love what the glass butterfly stands for and glad she has it with her in times of doubt. It's Murano glass and I love the tales of that island.
This mystery leads us to Oregon area which I love to visit and Tory rebuilds her life. Mystery of things that she had done along the way and why she had done them and the things she brought with her are told in her tale over the course of the book.
Love the Italian phrases and the English translations at the beginning of each chapter. love the house on the shore and the descriptions of the sea around her at Cannon Beach.
There are chapters from her son and a maid at a villa in Italy, as well as herself that kinda help you piece the whole picture together, while it's happening to them.
Another mystery: why is one of his mom's clients breaking into the house, to get her records? She's a deputy police woman.
Tory moves on fixing things at her new place, making a friend of the landlord and getting a part time job to keep busy.
Jack has a plan after the house is broken into and ransacked but he doesn't tell anybody, making up another story to tell them.
He can't conceive that his mom is dead. The fey of it all that she and he both share won't let him give up on her.
Super read! ( )
  jbarr5 | Jul 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have read many of Louise Marley's novels. My favorites are her feminist sci-fi offerings: "The Goddess Child" and "The Terrorists of Irustan," both of which were outstanding. I requested "The Glass Butterfly" because of these prior favorite books and partly because of the promise of a mix of paranormal, romance and suspense. I finished it awhile ago but took this long to review it because I needed to think about it. My initial reaction upon finishing it was mixed: I was both disappointed in and happy with it, and it took me thing long to figure out what made it worth reading. Because I was not unhappy to have read it, just that I did not think it measured up to Ms. Marley's best work. As some reviewers have alluded, the story was uneven. I know the historical sections were exquisite, but they were not as compelling a story as the modern one was. One saw the tragedy in the making, so the denouement was not a big surprise. In the modern story, though, as has also been mentioned, the protagonist could have resolved everything within days, if not hours, but then there would not have been the story. A little more effort could have been put into figuring out a realistic reason for Tory not to have chosen the sensible options. Finally, my biggest disappointment came from the miniscule part that "fey" played in the story. As to the operatic theme, it was fun but not compelling to me as I am apologetically not a fan of opera, though I have enjoyed those I have experienced. Ultimately, I'm not sorry I read it, but I wouldn't want to read it again. ( )
  Storeetllr | Feb 2, 2013 |

The only way therapist Victoria Lake can think to protect her estranged son, Jack, from a case turned deadly is to make a complete break from the past. As painful as it is, it's safer for him if he - and her enemies - think she's dead. Jack never wanted to believe in his mother's psychic abilities. Yet he can't deny his own conviction that she's alive, despite the meticulous police investigation and the somber funeral. To survive, Victoria knows she has to reinvent herself completely. She can't even listen to her beloved Puccini. But without the music in her ears, eerie dreams invade her sleep. Lush with the sounds and sights of 19th-century Tuscany, they're also loaded with a present-day warning she can't afford to ignore...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:31 -0400)

"The only way therapist Victoria Lake can think to protect her estranged son, Jack, from a case turned deadly is to make a complete break from the past. As painful as it is, it's safer for him if he - and her enemies - think she's dead. Jack never wanted to believe in his mother's psychic abilities. Yet he can't deny his own conviction that she's alive, despite the meticulous police investigation and the somber funeral. To survive, Victoria knows she has to reinvent herself completely. She can't even listen to her beloved Puccini. But without the music in her ears, eerie dreams invade her sleep. Lush with the sounds and sights of 19th-century Tuscany, they're also loaded with a present-day warning she can't afford to ignore."-- From Amazon.com.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Glass Butterfly by Louise Marley was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,483,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible