The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe by…

The Beautiful Lady: Our Lady of Guadalupe

by Pat Mora

Illustrations are beautiful - really liked them. A short but succinct telling of the miracle of Our Lady Of Guadalupe. A very short read but might be a good intro for further research into this miracle that took place in 1531. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 19, 2013 |
Lovely, simple version of the story of Juan Diego and his vision of the Virgin Mary in Mexico in 1531. Framing the narrative with the grandmother telling the story seems superfluous. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
This is a lovely story, beautifully told and illustrated. It's the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe, who appears to a simple peasant on a hill outside Mexico City. Unlike the typical Madonnas, "Her skin was brown and beautiful." Juan Diego goes to the bishop in the city and requests he build a church, but every time Juan asks, the bishop demands a sign. Finally, Our Lady provides a sign and signifies her favor to Juan Diego.

The story is framed by a grandmother and her daughters making paper roses and rose cookies in a cold December to celebrate Our Lady of Guadalupe. An author's note gives more information about the history of this particular manifestation.

Johnson and Fancher's illustrations are beautiful, as always. Although they don't have the intricate underlying patterns of Ugly Duckling or For the love of music. This is more like It's Milking Time, with the simple warmth and glow of the earth toned art pervading the heartfelt story. I would have liked some instructions on making the paper flowers and cookies, but there are lots of instructions easily available online.

Verdict: This is a lovely story, whether you believe in the religious significance or not. It's short and simple enough to make a good read-aloud and the glowing illustrations will make this a favorite for readers. My only reservation is where to put it - I don't see a lot of people browsing the religious section in the nonfiction, but people don't expect this type of story in the picture books. What do you think?

ISBN: 9780375868382; Published 2012 by Alfred A. Knopf/Random House; Review copy provided by the publisher; Added to the library collection
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 29, 2012 |

Every December, Grandma Lupita tells Rose the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe. As they make paper flowers to put around her statue, Grandma begins: Long ago, on a cold December morning near what is now Mexico City, a man named Juan Diego put on his cloak and started down the road to church. On his way, Juan Diego sees a beautiful Lady at the top of a hill. She tells Juan Diego to go to the Bishop and ask him to build a special church for her. But the Bishop doesn't believe that Juan Diego has seen the Lady; he asks for a sign. Again the Lady sends Juan Diego, and again the Bishop asks for a sign. Until finally, she provides one: her shining image on Juan Diego's cloak for everyone to see.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:55 -0400)

Grandma Lupita tells her granddaughter Rose and Rose's friend Terry the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe, a miracle that occurred near Mexico City in 1531. Includes facts about the event and its influence.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,780,369 books! | Top bar: Always visible