dismiss

Three Graves Full

by Jamie Mason

More than a year ago, mild-mannered Jason Getty killed a man he wished he'd never met. Then he planted the problem a little too close to home. But just as he's learning to live with the undeniable reality of what he's done, police unearth two bodies on his property - neither of which is the one Jason buried. Jason races to stay ahead of the consequences of his crime, and while chaos reigns on his lawn, his sanity unravels, snagged on the agendas of a colorful cast of strangers.… (more)
Recently added byKristy75, private library, Heather8454, Dianekeenoy, amvs, crystalmoore, neal_, Kristen606

Very enjoyable read. It took a while to grab my interest, but the psychological complexity of the characters and their interactions, particularly between Jason and Gary, soon showed the quality of the writing , which was maintained throughout. Has a slightly film-script feel to it, but this didn't spoil the quality of the characters or the plot. ( )
  neal_ | Apr 10, 2020 |
OMG! The landscaper dug up a dead body in my front shrub bed! Now, he wants to call 911. I can’t let him do that. They’ll find Gary Harris whom I buried in the back yard!

Thus begins the tortured psychological dilemma of Jason Getty as buried bodies begin to be unearthed seemingly right and left in his yard. Three Graves Full binds the fate of four individuals and a dog together in a single eventful night. Grammatically well written, suspenseful, and told with detailed description of police procedures, the author explores the psycho-drama playing out in multiple character’s minds as they deal with the thin red edge of paranoia and obsession.

The book contains multiple well-developed characters. None of them knew each other before the night their lives collided, but each has issues from their past driving their present. Jason, a woefully inadequate man, invites manipulation and victimization until his fear and frustration explode like a carbuncle. Gary Harris is a leech who preys on the weak bleeding them dry. Leah Tamlin is a woman driven by an insatiable demand for truth. The nature of the truth doesn’t matter as long as Leah knows the story. Boyd Montgomery is a man driven by self-righteousness; a self-appointed judge, jury, and executioner, but in his mind, only when others drive him to it. Ford Watts is a detective driven by a need to protect the weak and helpless. Tessa is Ford’s dog, driven a need to help Ford.

The lives of all of these people collide in one big tragic calamity of errors that are as humorous as they are tragic. The dark underlying events defy laughing aloud or even openly smiling at the overwhelming stupidity driving the characters in the story. Suspense reigns as the characters live through their own little psycho-hells.
Having said that, I think the author is extremely talented, but I also think she tries much too hard. The reader is bogged down in description and vocabulary and I found myself very impatient with the author’s writing style and that made this a very long book. The story could have told itself in fewer pages and in much less verbosity. Personally, I prefer verbs to adjectives and adverbs; actions to descriptions.

Lovers of thrillers, especially psycho-thrillers will love this book; but they’ll need to be patient with it.

This book was provided by a library. The above review represents my honest opinion of the book. ( )
  CPolk625 | Oct 12, 2019 |
This book sounded great but I just couldn't get into it. I feel it jumped around quite a bit and often things were over explained, as if too much detail was being given. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I gave up on this about 1/2 way through. Like many other reviewer noted, the author has a lot of promise, but this book just isn't very good. A tighter narrative line could have held the multiple points of view together; without that it read like several stories stacked together. The bereaved and the murderers had a sameness to them. They all had secret-ish reasons to be grateful for the deaths, and all of them seemed to be kinda shitty people. The police characters were much more realistic, and the dog was my favorite character, although that latter preference isn't surprising :)

I'd like to see this author grow into what was attempted in this volume. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Funny, it never occurred to me that Jamie Mason is female.... maybe because all the Jamies I know are male? Dunno. Not that I claim to define a writer's work by gender... I just blinked & thought "Huh." when I saw the back photo after finishing Three Graves Full.
Fun book. Fun! If they make a movie of it, Tim Curry must be cast. And Neil Patrick Harris....
There was a touch of slow building at first, but the hook was set well with Gary Harris (con man extraordinaire) and the detectives (Bayard & Watts) were likable but not dang perfect.
And Tessa. I have friends who will love this book for Tessa.
Thanks Jamie Mason for a very enjoyable debut - may you have many more to come! ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |

Jamie Masonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boldt, SteveCopy editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sergio, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All places are alike, and every earth is fit for burial.

—Christopher Marlowe
for Art, Julia, and Rianne— always

and

for the finest practitioner of

long-distance brain surgery in all the world,

Graeme Cameron
There is very little peace for a man with a body buried in his backyard.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,029,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible