Three Graves Full by Jamie Mason

Three Graves Full

by Jamie Mason

This book sounded great but I just couldn't get into it. I feel it jumped around quite a bit and often things were over explained, as if too much detail was being given. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I gave up on this about 1/2 way through. Like many other reviewer noted, the author has a lot of promise, but this book just isn't very good. A tighter narrative line could have held the multiple points of view together; without that it read like several stories stacked together. The bereaved and the murderers had a sameness to them. They all had secret-ish reasons to be grateful for the deaths, and all of them seemed to be kinda shitty people. The police characters were much more realistic, and the dog was my favorite character, although that latter preference isn't surprising :)

I'd like to see this author grow into what was attempted in this volume. ( )
  hopeevey | May 20, 2018 |
Funny, it never occurred to me that Jamie Mason is female.... maybe because all the Jamies I know are male? Dunno. Not that I claim to define a writer's work by gender... I just blinked & thought "Huh." when I saw the back photo after finishing Three Graves Full.
Fun book. Fun! If they make a movie of it, Tim Curry must be cast. And Neil Patrick Harris....
There was a touch of slow building at first, but the hook was set well with Gary Harris (con man extraordinaire) and the detectives (Bayard & Watts) were likable but not dang perfect.
And Tessa. I have friends who will love this book for Tessa.
Thanks Jamie Mason for a very enjoyable debut - may you have many more to come! ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
I wouldn't have finished it if I weren't reading it for book club. I skimmed through the second half. Didn't like it at all. ( )
  aclaybasket13 | Jul 29, 2016 |
The protagonist, Jason Getty, is plagued with nightmares over a murder that he committed and got away with. He cannot even bear to look in his own backyard, where the body is buried. Some landscapers are working on his yard, and one of them rings the doorbell and asks Jason to come take a look at something. Right away, Jason fears that his dirty little secret is out. Only, it's not! The landscapers have unearthed the remains of a different body that was buried under his bedroom window. When the forensic team comes out, they find another body buried on the other side of the house. Just how long will it be before Jason's secret is uncovered, and what will he do to ensure that it will stay buried forever?

I wanted very much to like this book. I loved the idea of the story...it would make a fantastic movie. The characters had promise but they never reached their full potential. I found the reading..well, awkward for lack of a better word. I don't believe there is an adjective or a verb left in the English language as Ms. Mason used them all in this story. Not just every page, but each and every paragraph. It became annoying by page 10 and unbearable by page 100. I found I had to reread paragraphs to understand what she was trying to describe and then sometimes thought "What the heck is she talking about?" I loved Tessa the dog and the main character Jason was the highlight of the book.

Actually I would have given it 2.5 stars if Shelfari had a star for "OK" . It was her first novel so maybe someone will tell her to cut the fancy prose and write the story. ( )
1 vote Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |

Jamie Masonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boldt, SteveCopy editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sergio, ChristopherCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All places are alike, and every earth is fit for burial.

—Christopher Marlowe
for Art, Julia, and Rianne— always

and

for the finest practitioner of

long-distance brain surgery in all the world,

Graeme Cameron
There is very little peace for a man with a body buried in his backyard.

Pushed into committing a murder that he covers up by burying the body in his backyard, mild-mannered Jason Getty finds his life completely unraveling when a landscaper discovers two other graves on his property.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,093,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible