Black Butler, Vol. 12 by Yana Toboso

Black Butler, Vol. 12 (edition 2011)

by Yana Toboso

Info:Yen Press (2013), Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Gothic Fantasy, Graphic Novel

Black Butler, Volume 12 by Yana Toboso

This was another spectacular volume in the Black Butler series. This has remained a consistently very well done manga series that is incredibly entertaining and keeps the reader guessing.

Ciel and Elizabeth (and crew) are aboard a cruiseliner bound for the Americas. Ciel has been charged by the Queen to check out the mysterious Phoenix society. The Phoenix Society seems to have found a way to reanimate the dead without a soul being present. Lots of undead on a cruise ship with a lot of people and a looming iceberg...nope nothing is going to go wrong here…

This volume was spectacularly gory and just absolutely everything you want in a plotline consisting of a crazy zombie infested cruiser. We get some excellent action scenes with Sebastian and find out that the women of Elizabeth’s family (including Elizabeth) have some mad fighting skills of their own and belong to a secret society of their own as well.

Additionally we get to meet a new Reaper who wields...of all things...a lawnmower (oh yes, homage to Dead Alive). There is also some Titanic story woven in here (looming iceberg...huge ship....you see where this is going…).

This was an incredibly fun and entertaining read with a ton of action. I was absolutely riveted to this book. The illustration remains absolutely amazing

Overall just another incredible addition to this absolutely spectacular manga series. I think this has got to be my favorite manga series of all time. Highly recommended to those who enjoy paranormal manga with some demonic action.
  krau0098 | Jan 11, 2016 |
There was so much about this volume that I loved.

Grelle is back! And I love Ronald's long-suffering behavior while he's with him. I can imagine that being assigned to work with Grelle would be...exhausting. To say the least. The Titanic-ish situation they found themselves in gave Grelle a chance to reenact the King of the World scene with Ronald (although Grelle would have preferred Sebastian). Never mind that the movie was filmed long after the time period when this series is supposed to be taking place.

Anyway, the other wonderful thing: Elizabeth. OMG, Elizabeth! I did not know she was so awesome. She's always been Ciel's annoying and naive fiancee, not good for much besides humor and reminding Ciel that life isn't all about dealing with scumbags for the Queen. I wasn't expecting Elizabeth and her entire family to be able to expertly fight off zombie hordes. Now I'm hoping for another season of the anime and for the writers to figure out how to fit sword-fighting Elizabeth in, because that would be amazing.

Inside back cover extra: Black Idol.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Nov 23, 2013 |
The voyage of the Campania takes a dark turn when the reanimation project goes awry and creates zombies--and entire ship full of them. Plus, there's an ICEBERG. Oh, and Lizzie finally gains some depth,
  LibraryGirl11 | Apr 16, 2013 |
This was a very eventful volume! Soul Reapers, fights between Soul Reapers and Sebastian, a Titanic-like plot, hitting icebergs, young love, sword fights, some awesome Sebastian stunts. :) Lizzy really surprised me here. But I have to remember that Toboso always has some twists in her sleeves. There is some strong character development in this volume. And Sebastian being Sebastian. I enjoyed all the previous volumes but this one might top over the last arc. I must like the action over the mystery. And this had plenty of action. I'm looking forward to seeing where this arc is leading. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 16, 2012 |

"The decks of the Campania run red with blood when the corpses brought back to a semblance of life by the Aurora Society's 'absolute salvation' turn on the ship's passengers in a ghoulish farce. With their investigation waylaid by this primitive struggle for survival, Earl Ciel Phantomhive and his exceptional butler, Sebastian, are trapped at the mercy of both the unnatural and Mother Nature herself. For even as dead feet shuffle along the opulent decks of the luxury liner in search of living prey, in the distance there looms before the cursed vessel a massive iceberg that glows and crackles eerily in the gloom of night" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,102,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible