When We Touch (A Whiskey Creek novella) by…

When We Touch (A Whiskey Creek novella) (edition 2012)

by Brenda Novak

Member:arlenadean
Title:When We Touch (A Whiskey Creek novella)
Authors:Brenda Novak
Info:Mira (2012), Kindle Edition, 102 pages
Collections:Finished Reading
Rating:*****
Tags:contemporary romance, chick lit, novella, whiskey creek series

When We Touch by Brenda Novak

Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

When We Touch is the introductory novella for the Whiskey Creek series. As such, it offered a fun glimpse of this small town and the underlying conflicts within it. But more than that, the novella tells a lovely story about overcoming your doubts and giving love a chance.

That summary might seem odd when the base premise is of a sister stealing the main character’s boyfriend by getting pregnant, but it works. The boyfriend, in a weak moment with Olivia away for a year, steps into the pile of mud that characterizes Olivia’s relationship with her sister. This puts in motion a wild set of events that could so easily have been disastrous but instead open Olivia’s eyes.

When We Touch uses a few of my favorite themes, from the long-term unrequited or unrecognized attraction to the importance of being truthful. The attraction between the characters was beautifully described, while the intimacy is on the light end of contemporary romance.

For a novella, it packed in the complexity. Dysfunctional families is the baseline driver for this story, from how Olivia’s sister behaves to how Brandon (the male lead) has felt second best since his mother remarried, a state he encourages by not speaking up to counter false assumptions even now that he’s an adult.

I love the character development in each one who got a “speaking” role, though I found it odd when Kyle, the cheating boyfriend, grabbed center stage.

At the same time, it was a lovely description of Kyle’s internal battles and succeeds in piquing my interest about what’s going to happen to him now. He’s ultimately a good guy who did something stupid but plans to live up to his mistakes, a conviction hard to see from the outside, and opening the potential for more to the story.

I enjoyed how the people in this town look out for each other and influence each other for the better. I did feel the novella ends a bit abruptly, and this is another entry in the blackmailing pregnancy (though a twist in that it succeeds). However, there was a lot of value to overcome both these elements. There are several life-altering “maybe” moments that upped the tension, places where the main characters have to make a choice that will directly affect the whole story.

I had fun in Whiskey Creek. With the, sometimes misguided, efforts to support demonstrated by practically everyone I met in this town, I can see how it provides a fertile ground for the whole series. ( )
  MarFisk | Sep 19, 2016 |
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
When We Touch by Brenda Novak
#.5 Whiskey Creek

Olivia Arnold owns her own wedding planner business out of Sacramento. She's forced back to her hometown after three months in order to plan her sister, Noelle's, wedding--a shotgun wedding with Olivia's own (current) boyfriend, Kyle. She's offered the shoulder of Kyle's stepbrother, Brandon Lucero, an extreme sportsman and professional skier who is home recovering from his last injury. Brandon is considered the black sheep of his family, but Olivia has always known there was more to him than people could see.

It's hard to imagine how forgiving a person would have to be to even speak to her sister and her boyfriend again after such a betrayal. Then add insult to injury by her own parents forcing her to plan the wedding. Horrible people.

Great story packed into a short novella. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Dec 29, 2015 |
When we touch is basically a prequel to the Whiskey Creek series.
Olivia the betrayed sister is forced to plan the wedding for her sister Noelle that stole away her boyfriend Kyle of one year. An outrageous situation but not unrealistic.
I'm sure we've all heard of some girl stealing her best friends boyfriend before, reading about a girl stealing her sisters man isn't too far fetched.
Kyle's brother Brandon - the supposed black sheep of their family is actually the one with the most common sense of the entire story. I didn't really see much black sheep in him, I actually saw more in Kyle than I did in Brandon.
Kyle wants to do right by Noelle by marrying her since she's now pregnant and Brenda tried giving him redeeming qualities and conversations but in my mind what he and Noelle did to Olivia cannot be undone and that kind of betrayal cuts deeper than a simple apology can fix.
Despite the growing affection between Olivia and Brandon I spent more time being angry for the entire situation Olivia was being forced to endure than I was investing in the growing relationship between her and Brandon.
As a novella When We Touch is a quick book to get through and worth the read if you've read her Whiskey Creek series.

krissysbookshelf | Sep 25, 2013 |
*I received a free ARC from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review*

You can find this review in full on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews.

This is a delightful short story that enticed me enough to want to read the whole Whiskey Creek trilogy! Olivia is hurting so bad, and her sister, Noelle, is one of the most self-absorbed people I have ever read about! Kyle will probably have more than enough time to regret straying when Olivia wanted to take a small break!

Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |

You're invited to a wedding in Whiskey Creek, Heart of the Gold Country

Unfortunately, it's the wrong wedding. Olivia Arnold is arranging the festivities—and it's the hardest thing she's ever done. Because she should be marrying Kyle Houseman. They were together for more than a year…. But her jealous sister, Noelle, stole him away—and now she's pregnant.

Olivia's devastated, but surprisingly Brandon—the black sheep of the family--is there to provide comfort and consolation. The intensity between them, both physical and emotional, shows Olivia that maybe Kyle wasn't the right man for her….

But is Brandon?

Unfortunately, it's the wrong wedding. Olivia Arnold is arranging the festivities--and it's the hardest thing she's ever done. Because she should be marrying Kyle Houseman. They were together for more than a year but her jealous sister, Noelle, stole him away--and now she's pregnant. All their friends in Whiskey Creek know as well as Olivia does that Kyle's making a mistake. His stepbrother, Brandon, knows it, too. But Kyle's determined to go through with it, for his child's sake. Olivia's devastated, but surprisingly Brandon--the black sheep of the family--is there to provide comfort and consolation. The intensity between them, both physical and emotional, shows Olivia that maybe Kyle wasn't the right man for her. But is Brandon?… (more)

Brenda Novak is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,214,167 books! | Top bar: Always visible