Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott

Help, Thanks, Wow (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Anne Lamott

277None40,928 (3.97)32
Member:coppers
Title:Help, Thanks, Wow
Authors:Anne Lamott
Info:Brilliance Audio (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:audio, read in 2013, read in Jan 2013, spirituality, memoir, prayer, non-fiction

Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott (Author) (2012)

Finished Anne Lamott’s “Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers” today. A small yet powerful book, may well be the best book on prayer that I’ve ever read. Just open oneself up to the great mystery, she says, unclench, loosen the death-grip the fingers have and let light in, let air and space in, let joy in. At a not so small least – just get through what you have to get through with some chance at hope, some chance at kindness. I’m all for people being kind to me; I have a much harder time being kind to others. Something always goes wrong, somehow it always leads to aggravation and frustration. Reading Anne Lamott is joy,because as much as I know, I am quite absolutely sure she is a nicer person than me or at least able to make conversation with people which I just completely fail at, as much as I know that is true, she doesn’t write as if that were true. She writes as if she’s just a normal sort of selfish person with flashes of light, flashes of hope, little moments. It gives me tremendous hope. Thank you God for Anne Lamott and her deep rich luminous writing. ( )
2 vote RaeBear | Jan 13, 2014 |
As usual, an honest effort to communicate w/God and ask for help and explanations. Also, the rejoicing in answered prayers. Understanding dimensions previously not even thought of.
  fcaccese | Oct 1, 2013 |
Audiobooks have been my friend as of late and I am flying through them with all my driving. This one was given to me at work and it was a fun and inspiring comedy hour and a half about the three essential prayers we say and who we say them to.

Lamott breaks it down into Help, Thanks and Wow and while she talks about what higher power she believes in, she always goes through her journey to find it, and how it doesn't matter who you are praying to, we all pray to someone and that's all that matters.

It was hard to get out of the car without waiting this adventure to finish. She was a lot of fun!
  blondierocket | Jun 11, 2013 |
Anne Lamott graciously reminds us that it's not difficult to stop for a few minutes, to be mindful and thoughtful, to breathe. This little book is nice to have in a desk drawer; pull it out, read a few pages, and feel a little less stressed. ( )
  Milda-TX | May 27, 2013 |
Lamott encourages her readers to “not get bogged down on whom or what we pray to.” Rather one should identify prayer as communication from our hearts to “something unimaginably huge and not us.” Her slightly irreverent humor allows one to experience the distillation of anything one says “to the amazing energy of love we are sometimes bold enough to believe in” regardless of the name we attach.
In Help, Thanks, Wow Lamott has identified the content and context of prayer that asks for assistance, that appreciates the good we witness, and that expresses one’s awe at the world. These are the words that get us through the day, and show us the way forward.
Through anecdotes and stories she puts skin on those times one can be in motion, and stillness, and energy – all at the same time. All three prayers are the beginnings of a conversation with God about anything – barely, honestly, bitterly, insanely or brokenly – “probably the best possible conditions under which to pray.”
The simplicity of theses three prayers opens the complexity of our lives, our relationships, and our world into our messiest places and our greatest needs. Like flossing one’s teeth prayer must be repeated until it becomes habit, not because we can get our way, or can change God, but so God can change us, so we can “pray constantly between bouts of trying to live life on life’s terms.”
Whether a beginner or veteran user of the spiritual discipline of prayer, Lamott, once again leads us to breathe, to slow down, to pay attention so no opportunity to love and help God’s children, including learning “to love our depressing, hilarious, mostly decent selves.” Although most of the formative pieces of Lamott’s personality, sense of humor, descent into and ascent from addiction, deep spirituality, and intentional writing are mostly caught in the reader’s peripheral vision.
This is one book I want to take up space on a shelf, because she speaks to my meaning through her meaning formed by words seemingly strung along, but intentionally placed.
Other titles by Anne Lamott: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/)
Novels
• Hard Laughter. Viking Press. 1980. ISBN 0-670-36140-2.
• Rosie. Viking Press. 1983. ISBN 0-670-60828-9.
• Joe Jones. North Point Press. 1985. ISBN 0-86547-209-2.
• All New People. North Point Press. 1989. ISBN 0-86547-394-3.
• Crooked Little Heart. Pantheon Books. 1997. ISBN 0-679-43521-2.
• Blue Shoe. Riverhead Books. 2002. ISBN 1-57322-226-7.
• Imperfect Birds. Riverhead Books. 2010. ISBN 1-59448-751-0.
Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Anne Lamott
[edit]
Non-fiction
• Operating Instructions: A Journal Of My Son’s First Year. Pantheon Books. 1993. ISBN 0-679-42091-6.
• Bird by Bird : Some Instructions on Writing and Life. Pantheon Books. 1994. ISBN 0-679-43520-4.
• Traveling Mercies : Some Thoughts on Faith. Pantheon Books. 1999. ISBN 0-679-44240-5.
• Plan B : Further Thoughts on Faith. Riverhead Books. 2005. ISBN 1-57322-299-2.
• Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith. Riverhead Books. 2007. ISBN 1-59448-942-4.
• Some Assembly Required: A Journal of My Son's First Son. Riverhead Books. 2012. ISBN 1-59448-841-X
• Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers. Riverhead Books. 2012. ISBN 1-59463-129-8.

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/19/164814269/anne-lamott-distills-prayer-into-help-th... ( )
1 vote JorjaADavis | May 9, 2013 |
For Sarah Chalfont
and
Jake Morrissey
I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the past twenty-five years, that there's something to be said about keeping prayer simple.

"I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the last twenty-five years, that there's something to be said about keeping prayer simple" -- Cover verso.Lamott has coalesced everything she knows about prayer to three simple fundamentals. Asking for assistance from a higher power, appreciating what we have that is good, and feeling awe at the world around us-- that can get us through the day and can show us the way forward. Lamott recounts how she came to these insights, explains what they mean to her and how they have helped, and explores how others have embraced these same ideas.… (more)

123 wanted2 pay8 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible