Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott

Help, Thanks, Wow (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Anne Lamott

3821928,205 (3.92)38
Member:coppers
Title:Help, Thanks, Wow
Authors:Anne Lamott
Info:Brilliance Audio (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:audio, read in 2013, read in Jan 2013, spirituality, memoir, prayer, non-fiction

Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott (Author) (2012)

Many thanks to Terri (Tymos) for pointing me toward this book. Small in pages, large in content, Lamott finally is off her political high horse. I gave up on reading her books primarily because I didn't want to have her political views be thrown surprisingly in my face when the titles did not indicate that political content would be smattered throughout.

This is a lovely book about prayer. She lists three primary reasons, or times when we seek prayer. Help -- when we are at our wits end and simply literally need help, either for ourselves or others. Thanks -- when we thank God for blessings, or maybe simply to say, thank you I am alive and my life is good today. Wow -- reserved for times when we are overwhelmed with the sheer beauty of nature, a person, a situation and or life.

I enjoyed this book tremendously. It wasn't preachy. It was well written, chocked full of wisdom and resonated with me at the current time in my life.
  Whisper1 | May 7, 2015 |
Seems like Lamott dashed this off in a hurry without much thought. Nothing fresh or new here about prayer. Just a bunch of disconnected thoughts strung together.

I'm usually an Anne Lamott fan, but this one just didn't feed the bulldog. ( )
  dmcco01 | May 4, 2015 |
Good little book. Leave it to Anne Lamott to write a non-preachy book about prayer. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
I really appreciated this book, both for Lamott's delightful writing style and for its contents. I liked it so much that after reading the library copy, I ordered my own. I found the Help section the strongest and can definitely see myself consulting it in the future. Thanks was next best, with Wow somewhat weaker. Lamott writes from a Christian viewpoint, but not so much that it put me off. However other Jewish readers might be less tolerant than I was. But I highly recommend this short book, for its concerns and stories are universal.

[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
A great, readable, practical book about recognizing when or how to ask for help, how to be infinitely grateful and how to be an appreciative human being. While I know (from reading her other nonfiction work) that Lamott comes from a particular religious tradition, I consider this to be a love letter to having a relationship that is bigger than oneself --- even if you don't know to whom you are addressing these prayers. A quick read that will be opened again and again. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | May 4, 2014 |
For Sarah Chalfont
and
Jake Morrissey
I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the past twenty-five years, that there's something to be said about keeping prayer simple.

"I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the last twenty-five years, that there's something to be said about keeping prayer simple" -- Cover verso.Lamott has coalesced everything she knows about prayer to three simple fundamentals. Asking for assistance from a higher power, appreciating what we have that is good, and feeling awe at the world around us-- that can get us through the day and can show us the way forward. Lamott recounts how she came to these insights, explains what they mean to her and how they have helped, and explores how others have embraced these same ideas.… (more)

123 wanted5 pay8 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,192,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible