Help, Thanks, Wow by Anne Lamott

Help, Thanks, Wow (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Anne Lamott

Member:dogearedpage
Title:Help, Thanks, Wow
Authors:Anne Lamott
Info:Brilliance Audio (2012), Preloaded Digital Audio Player
Rating:**
Tags:Prayer by feel

Help, Thanks, Wow: The Three Essential Prayers by Anne Lamott (Author) (2012)

I really appreciated this book, both for Lamott's delightful writing style and for its contents. I liked it so much that after reading the library copy, I ordered my own. I found the Help section the strongest and can definitely see myself consulting it in the future. Thanks was next best, with Wow somewhat weaker. Lamott writes from a Christian viewpoint, but not so much that it put me off. However other Jewish readers might be less tolerant than I was. But I highly recommend this short book, for its concerns and stories are universal.

[a:Maggie Anton|79249|Maggie Anton|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1337899260p2/79249.jpg] ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
A great, readable, practical book about recognizing when or how to ask for help, how to be infinitely grateful and how to be an appreciative human being. While I know (from reading her other nonfiction work) that Lamott comes from a particular religious tradition, I consider this to be a love letter to having a relationship that is bigger than oneself --- even if you don't know to whom you are addressing these prayers. A quick read that will be opened again and again. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | May 4, 2014 |
Wow! They say good things come in small packages and this is it! I have been recommending this book to all of my friends. I think it will be a great Help for everyone who picks it up. Anne Lamott has written a classic with this lovely title. I was really touched by the depth of this small book. And yet it has a lightness and a humor that makes it an easy and wonderful read. Thanks! ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Finished Anne Lamott’s “Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers” today. A small yet powerful book, may well be the best book on prayer that I’ve ever read. Just open oneself up to the great mystery, she says, unclench, loosen the death-grip the fingers have and let light in, let air and space in, let joy in. At a not so small least – just get through what you have to get through with some chance at hope, some chance at kindness. I’m all for people being kind to me; I have a much harder time being kind to others. Something always goes wrong, somehow it always leads to aggravation and frustration. Reading Anne Lamott is joy,because as much as I know, I am quite absolutely sure she is a nicer person than me or at least able to make conversation with people which I just completely fail at, as much as I know that is true, she doesn’t write as if that were true. She writes as if she’s just a normal sort of selfish person with flashes of light, flashes of hope, little moments. It gives me tremendous hope. Thank you God for Anne Lamott and her deep rich luminous writing. ( )
2 vote RaeBear | Jan 13, 2014 |
As usual, an honest effort to communicate w/God and ask for help and explanations. Also, the rejoicing in answered prayers. Understanding dimensions previously not even thought of.
  fcaccese | Oct 1, 2013 |
For Sarah Chalfont
and
Jake Morrissey
I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the past twenty-five years, that there's something to be said about keeping prayer simple.

"I do not know much about God and prayer, but I have come to believe, over the last twenty-five years, that there's something to be said about keeping prayer simple" -- Cover verso.Lamott has coalesced everything she knows about prayer to three simple fundamentals. Asking for assistance from a higher power, appreciating what we have that is good, and feeling awe at the world around us-- that can get us through the day and can show us the way forward. Lamott recounts how she came to these insights, explains what they mean to her and how they have helped, and explores how others have embraced these same ideas.… (more)

123 wanted5 pay8 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,917,312 books! | Top bar: Always visible