La déchéance d'un homme by Osamu Dazai

La déchéance d'un homme (original 1948; edition 1990)

by Osamu Dazai

Member:bergg
Title:La déchéance d'un homme
Authors:Osamu Dazai
Info:Gallimard (1990), Edition: GALLIMARD, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Fiction, Your library, To read, Favorites
Tags:ebook

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai (1948)

English (11)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (13)
I mustmustmustmust read this book.

I watched the anime adaptation - crazy @ - @
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
One of the few novels I would call perfect, alongside A Clockwork Orange and such. It really should be better known outside of Japan.
  OtherStoriesBooks | Dec 29, 2013 |
This is a remarkable book. Loneliness and suicide, but with a new look. Sparse and moving words. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
No Longer Human has a certain cult reputation due to its bleak storyline and unremittingly pessimistic main character. With the exception of the notebooks' final line, which was quite a punch to the gut, I was strangely unmoved by the novel. Some people complain that Catcher in the Rye is just one long whinge; I'd disagree with that but such a complaint would match my thoughts on NLH. Perhaps that's because there's so little written in the novel to make us feel sympathy for Yozo. He's a completely wretched character and apart from one vaguely addressed incident when he was a child you're presented with little that makes you want to root for him. Yozo doesn't even help himself and seems only determined to ruin everyone else and debase himself as much as possible. This isn't a story like David Foster Wallace's The Depressed Person that highlighted the issues such individuals can face, the adverse problems that result from that, whilst simultaneously making you feel sympathy for a person who could be viewed as a pain in the neck.

A human element does seem lacking from this novel and, despite the novel's title, I don't think that's the point. It made for quite a detached read that failed to bring me in to Yozo's world and feel his pain. The other pieces of fiction already mentioned in this review are works that succeed much better, in my opinion, at portraying a person feeling depressed or alienated and stoking emotions in the reader. For something sad, I'd recommend them, rather than NLH. ( )
  DRFP | Sep 18, 2012 |
i thought this was great. though i was more accustomed to dazai's fantasy writing, i was surprised how well he can handle this type of material, too.

absolutely loved how the main character became a total crackhead in the end. gee, i didn't see that coming... ( )
1 vote coolsnak3 | Jun 4, 2011 |

Osamu Dazaiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keene, DonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mine has been a life of much shame.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,309 books! | Top bar: Always visible