La déchéance d'un homme by Osamu Dazai

La déchéance d'un homme (original 1948; edition 1990)

by Osamu Dazai

429None24,534 (3.9)12
Member:bergg
Title:La déchéance d'un homme
Authors:Osamu Dazai
Info:Gallimard (1990), Edition: GALLIMARD, Mass Market Paperback
Collections:Fiction, Your library, To read, Favorites
Tags:ebook

No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai (1948)

English (10)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (12)
One of the few novels I would call perfect, alongside A Clockwork Orange and such. It really should be better known outside of Japan.
  OtherStoriesBooks | Dec 29, 2013 |
This is a remarkable book. Loneliness and suicide, but with a new look. Sparse and moving words. ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 30, 2013 |
No Longer Human has a certain cult reputation due to its bleak storyline and unremittingly pessimistic main character. With the exception of the notebooks' final line, which was quite a punch to the gut, I was strangely unmoved by the novel. Some people complain that Catcher in the Rye is just one long whinge; I'd disagree with that but such a complaint would match my thoughts on NLH. Perhaps that's because there's so little written in the novel to make us feel sympathy for Yozo. He's a completely wretched character and apart from one vaguely addressed incident when he was a child you're presented with little that makes you want to root for him. Yozo doesn't even help himself and seems only determined to ruin everyone else and debase himself as much as possible. This isn't a story like David Foster Wallace's The Depressed Person that highlighted the issues such individuals can face, the adverse problems that result from that, whilst simultaneously making you feel sympathy for a person who could be viewed as a pain in the neck.

A human element does seem lacking from this novel and, despite the novel's title, I don't think that's the point. It made for quite a detached read that failed to bring me in to Yozo's world and feel his pain. The other pieces of fiction already mentioned in this review are works that succeed much better, in my opinion, at portraying a person feeling depressed or alienated and stoking emotions in the reader. For something sad, I'd recommend them, rather than NLH. ( )
  DRFP | Sep 18, 2012 |
i thought this was great. though i was more accustomed to dazai's fantasy writing, i was surprised how well he can handle this type of material, too.

absolutely loved how the main character became a total crackhead in the end. gee, i didn't see that coming... ( )
1 vote coolsnak3 | Jun 4, 2011 |
No Longer Human is only the second work by Osamu Dazai that I’ve read, the first being The Setting Sun. The Setting Sun was also the first of Dazai’s works to be translated into English. In 1958, No Longer Human became the second. New Directions then later republished Donald Keene’s translation in a paperback edition in 1973. The novel was in the middle of serialization in Japan in 1948 at the time of Dazai’s death. Along with The Setting Sun, No Longer Human is one of Dazai’s most well known novels. It also remains one of the top bestselling books in Japan to this day. The story has received several adaptations, including a manga adaptation by Usamaru Furuya to be published in English by Vertical in 2011. I have been meaning to read No Longer Human for some time now. Since it played such an important role in Mizuki Nomura's Book Girl and the Suicidal Mime, which I recently read and enjoyed, I figured it was about time I got around to it.

To all appearances, Oba Yozo is a normal young man. The youngest son of a respectable family, leading a good life, and well liked by others, very few people would guess at his personal turmoil. He feels completely alienated from human society and finds it difficult to understand what exactly it is that is required of him. To cope, he becomes the class clown, hoping that if he can keep people amused and distracted they won’t notice his failings as a human. He is absolutely terrified that he will be revealed as a fraud. Because of this, he finds himself easily taken advantage of and subject to other people’s influence and desires for better and for worse.

No Longer Human spoke to me on a very personal level and considering how well received the novel is I’m assuming I’m not the only one. I identified very closely with the protagonist and his worldview, although admittedly we have dealt with our issues in drastically different ways. It is this potential for empathy that makes No Longer Human so compelling. There are very few people in this world who haven’t felt some sort of disconnect between themselves and the rest of society at one point or another. Dazai captures this feeling of alienation honestly and completely in No Longer Human. The novel almost reads like a confession. In some ways, while being very personal, Yozo’s struggles are also incredibly universal.

As with many of Dazai’s other works, No Longer Human incorporates many semi-autobiographical elements, lending to the novel’s sense of authenticity and immediacy. The story is tragic and probably not something you would want to read if you’re already feeling down or depressed. Yozo is arguably an unreliable narrator, certainly other characters don’t entirely believe him and assume much of his story is exaggerated, but I am convinced he is being truthful. In fact, the others' disbelief helps to emphasize his feeling of separation from those around him. The structure of the novel is interesting in that Yozo’s narrative is bookended by a prologue and epilogue by another, unnamed character who provides a supposedly objective view of the events described. No Longer Human is not a particularly long novel but it is still a potent story. I wouldn’t be surprised to find myself returning to read it again.

Experiments in Manga ( )
2 vote PhoenixTerran | Apr 13, 2011 |

Osamu Dazaiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Keene, DonaldTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mine has been a life of much shame.
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible