Dying on the Vine (A Gideon Oliver Mystery)…

Dying on the Vine (A Gideon Oliver Mystery) (edition 2012)

by Aaron Elkins

Member:satxreader
Title:Dying on the Vine (A Gideon Oliver Mystery)
Authors:Aaron Elkins
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 294 pages
Collections:Your library, Borrowed from public library

Dying on the Vine by Aaron Elkins

Recently added byprivate library, MareF, eawsmom, RuthGab, charliesierra, 19anne44, shadoe.runner, Hardboiled, UPMarta

Synopsis: Gideon, along with wife and cohorts, is giving a seminar in Florence, Italy. He examines some bones and completely disagrees with the conclusions drawn by the Carabinieri. He also finds that the bones belong to the mother of the owners of a winery he is visiting.
Review: This really reminded me of our trip to Tuscany. The characterizations of the winery owners, the police and the older Italians are right on point. The story was interesting, but I suspected 'who done it' relatively early on. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 10, 2014 |
This was the first Gideon Oliver mystery I have read. I almost gave up after 100 pages, as nothing was happening and I found the characters unengaging and sometimes annoying. At one stage, the author took almost a page to describe someone serving a coffee. This was only the most egregious of the many long passages describing people eating and drinking which provided padding for the book and filled the pages which might otherwise have contained plot or character development. What plot there was was spun out by the repeated expedient of people having to dash off before the long-winded hero could finish what he was saying, requiring another session in a restaurant or coffee bar to continue the explanation.

I hate not to finish a book, so I kept going and it did get a little better, although not enough to tempt me to pick up another book in the series. ( )
  augustusgump | Apr 20, 2013 |
The famous Skeleton Detective is back in the 17th entry in this long running series. This time Gideon is in Italy on vacation with his wife Julie and his good friend FBI agent John Lau and his wife Marti. As is typical in this series he quickly gets himself involved in a murder investigation. One that the local carabinieri had thought they had already solved.

For me the book was just ok. I have enjoyed this series for a long time now, but this entry seemed a bit too by the numbers with Gideon and the rest of our returning characters just going through the motions and being caricatures of their former selves. I would even go as far as to say I would only recommend it to people who are already fans of the series. If I hadn't already read the previous 16 books I probably wouldn't have bothered to finish this one. I can only hope the next entry is better or else it may be time to put the Skeleton Detective to rest... ( )
  JJbooklvr | Apr 2, 2013 |
It had long been the unvarying custom of Pietro Cubbiddu, following that of his father back in Sardinia, to take a mese sabatico, a solitary, monthlong sabbatical each fall, at the conclusion of the arduous September grape crush.

In Tuscany visiting friends with his wife, Gideon Oliver is asked to reexamine the bones of a couple whose deaths were ruled a murder-suicide. His findings do not agree with those of the Italian police.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible