Squish #4: Captain Disaster by Jennifer L.…

Squish #4: Captain Disaster (edition 2012)

by Jennifer L. Holm (Author), Jennifer L. Holm (Illustrator), Matthew Holm (Illustrator)

Series: Squish (4)

Member:fernhilllibrary
Title:Squish #4: Captain Disaster
Authors:Jennifer L. Holm (Author)
Other authors:Jennifer L. Holm (Illustrator), Matthew Holm (Illustrator)
Info:Random House Books for Young Readers (2012), 96 pages

Squish #4: Captain Disaster by Jennifer L. Holm

[Digging through the archives...]

I purchased this for the library of course. Squish isn't quite as popular as Babymouse, but mostly because not all the kids have realized there's another series. I probably should have shelved Squish with Babymouse.

Squish tackles the world of sports in this title, joining a soccer team, the Water Fleas, and dealing with constant losing. He's thinking of himself as Captain Disaster, when he figures out how to play to his players' strengths and they start winning.

However, his friends, dad, and coach all insist that he's being mean by not allowing everyone a chance to play and have fun and that's what sports is all about (never mind the other teams who made fun of them when they lost). Squish lets his other friends play and they lose, but everyone has fun.

I don't remember the other Squish stories having quite as much sarcastic snark, but it's been a while since I read one and I don't think most kids would notice it anyways. I didn't care much for the message of this one myself, but mediocrity seems to be the goal in education now and a lot of parents and teachers will like this. The kids just like the weird amoebas.

Verdict: If you're buying Squish, and of course you are, buy it. Library bound. Feel free to roll your eyes in private if you, like me, are not an advocate of teaching children that hurty feelings are the most important things in the world.

[Revisited: Eventually I reorganized the graphic novels and both Babymouse and Squish are now shelved together under Holm (along with all her other titles). Squish shot up in popularity and we recently used it in book club to great enthusiasm from the kids. This particular title is not much of a stand out though the series as a whole is great.]

ISBN: 9780375843921; Published 2012 by Random House; Review copy provided by publisher (added to summer reading prizes); Purchased for the library.
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 8, 2012 |
PSC REVIEW: Kids who are not yet ready to give up pictures as they read will enjoy the Squish series from the creators of Babymouse. Squish is an amoeba who has a life similar to any kid. Squish is that kind of kid with an imagination and a sense of right and wrong and is often involved in the battle of good and evil. This time he is struggling with good and evil along with his soccer team. This is a fun series. ( )
  brangwinn | Dec 5, 2012 |
Another great addition to the squish books! I really liked this one because it talks a lot about team work which is something we talk a lot about in my dance classes
  aevans1 | Nov 27, 2012 |

It's soccer season! But the Waterfleas (hey, it could be worse--Okay, maybe it couldn't) are getting pummelled game after game. Squish knows winning isn't everything, but it's something right? Can Squish turn the losing streak around when he becomes team captain? Will Pod figure out how to harness the power of lightning? And how can amoebas play soccer when they don't have any feet? Find out in the fourth electrifyingly hilarious, action packed Squish graphic novel adventure: Captain Disaster! Just right for fans of Babymouse, Lunch Lady, Sidekicks, and Captain Underpants.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

Squish, comic book fan and grade school amoeba, is made captain of his soccer team and following the example of his favorite superhero, must figure out how to turn a losing streak around without losing his friends.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,693,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible