A Leprechaun's Lament by Wayne Zurl

A Leprechaun's Lament

by Wayne Zurl

431,664,912 (4.33)None

No tags.

Prospect Police Department Chief Sam Jenkin has been conducting background checks on all department employees using funding from the Patriot Act. He find that Murrary McGuire, their middle-age office equipment repair man for nearly thirty years, didn't exist before 1975. Murrary has no background records to find. Then he is murdered and the Chief finds a British passport. Before you know it, the FBI, CIA, and British Intelligence, Irish Garda, and a beautiful Irish Republican Army woman have their hand in this trip down memory lane.

Revenge and intrigue in a small Tennessee town. ( )
  bemislibrary | Jun 23, 2013 |
Sixty-year old retired New York City Police Detective Sam Jenkins and wife Katherine pack up their belongings and Scottish terrier Bitsey, and relocate to the Great Smoky Mountain small town of Prospect, Tennessee. But Sam's retirement is short lived when he becomes the town's next Chief of Police. With three months under his belt as Prospect's Chief of Police, Sam's police department is approved a grant under the Patriot Act to conduct background investigations on all civilian employees who work with the police department. But the routine background investigations on the nine current civilian employees turns into a complicated mystery when one of the civilians, Murray "Typewriter Murray" McGuire, the middle-aged Irish office equipment repairman for the past twenty-eight years, has no past! When Sam and his staff investigate Murray's background, they find that there is no trace of the man before 1975, the man simply doesn't exist! And Murray isn't very forthcoming or helpful in supplying his background information, when he is confronted with his lack of past history, he provides vague responses which leads Sam to wonder what is the man hiding? All hell breaks loose and drama ensues when Murray turns up murdered and Sam finds Murray's British passport, so he calls in some help from the FBI, and the murder investigation turns into an international intrigue when the CIA, British Intelligence and the Irish Garda get involved! Who would want a little Irishman like Murray McGuire dead? Come along with Sam as he embarks on an intriguing international murder mystery investigation adventure!

A Leprechaun's Lament is the second Sam Jenkins Mystery series book that I have read, and once again author Wayne Zurl has been able to grab my attention and draw me into another intriguing mystery story featuring the witty and sarcastic Sam Jenkins. Author Wayne Zurl weaves an intriguing tale of murder and international intrigue told in the first person narrative by Prospect Police Chief Sam Jenkins, who takes the reader along for the ride on his latest investigative adventure. The author's writing style engages the reader with a story that has a mixture of humor, intrigue, drama, and romance; and enough suspenseful twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the surprising ending.

With rich details and descriptions of the Great Smoky Mountains setting in east Tennessee and the international intrigue of Ireland and Great Britain; to Sam's brash personality, witty and sarcastic humor and banter, and flirtatious ways with the ladies; to the quirky Prospect townsfolk and their equally quirky local dialect; A Leprechaun's Lament is one heck of an entertaining murder mystery adventure that you won't be able to put down!

Author Wayne Zurl utilizes his prior police experience and past case investigations to weave an intriguing Sam Jenkins Mystery series that crime/mystery fans will thoroughly enjoy!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review, and for hosting a virtual book event on my book review blog site.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/12/a-leprechauns-lament-by-wayne-... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Dec 29, 2012 |
Chief Sam Jenkins a thoroughly enjoyable and loveable character...he is in charge of the Prospect Police Department in TN. What an adventure you begin from the start of the book to the very end! He is engaging and a people's person...and loves his wife! Love how he flirts in a comforting way...others would have gotten in trouble!
What begins as an innocent request for funds under the Patriot Act...a security check on employees, ends up as an international killer being loose in TN. Murray McGuire the office equipment repairer, seems to not have existed for part of his life?
We have the FBI called in, with the way the Chief works his magic way of getting what he wants. When the FBI also comes up with dead ends...he also has a friend in the CIA. From there we use British Intelligence, and the Irish Garda.
We travel along on a page turning read....really wild and entertaining. The way things turn out is nothing less than amazing. I love it. There are also some unanswered questions...and don't know if they will be answered in the future? I for one will be reading more of Chief Sam Jenkins mysteries!!

I received this book through Pump Your Book Virtual Tour and the Author Wayne Zurl, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Aug 23, 2012 |

Wayne Zurl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,248,932 books! | Top bar: Always visible