Blood Jewel by Georgia Cates

Originally Reviewed At:Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Blog Tour
Reviewer: JCarroll

Wow! Wow! Wow! Double Wow!

This book left me extremely thirsty for more! No pun intended. I read this one as a standalone, meaning I didn’t read book one in this series before reading this second book. I haven’t happened upon The Vampire Agape books. before reading this one. Had I began with book one; I would have met Bood Jewel with much more scaffolding and a solid cache of information concerning the characters and their history. Yet, surprisingly, even though I started the book cold, I warmed up rather immediately.

From the prologue, “Becoming Marsala Dauphine”, I was hooked! This book cast its spell right from page one. I absorbed the romantic flow of the words with ease. I couldn’t put the book down. I found that I was being drawn into the magical realm of vampires, all the while keeping one foot on solid ground of reality.

The two main characters, Curry the handsome, laid back vampire and his “agape” soul mate, Chansey (I love this name), were a likeable pair from the beginning. Their pure, romantic love for one another touched me at once. However, there was a sense of foreboding, an awareness that their love would be tested and tried throughout the book.

And tried it was.

The book begins with the engagement in New Orleans, and a serious change of events moves them quickly to warm, endearing Savannah. The evil vampire, Marsala from Curry’s past haunted and threatened their lives and love. This made every decision they made based on safety and survival. I was pleased with the flow of events, and the author’s ability to keep me interested through characters’ actions and resulting consequences of those actions.

The camaraderie in the coven of the “good” vampires adds much to the story. The supporting characters are not very developed, but the way the plot unfolds and the attention put on the events surrounding the endangered love affair between Chancy and Curry, balances itself. The question of what is a Blood Jewel is yet to be answered. Much emphasis is put on the fact that Chansey is not only Curry’s Agape, but a “blood jewel” as well. When another human blood jewel is saved from the treacherous hands of an evil vampire in a nearby coven and brought to the heroic Coven of Landra, Curry realizes the importance of discovering the hidden meaning. However, this mission takes a backseat as the challenge to keep Chansey safe from Marsala’s evil clutches places itself front and center.

I have never read a vampire novel before…I’ve never actually had the desire. But after finishing Blood Jewel, I downloaded book one within five minutes of reading the last sentence. I absolutely must know the earlier events to which much of the plot referred. Was there a great need to read book one before devouring Blood Jewel? Evidently not! By devouring, I mean I could not put this one down. I cooked dinner with one hand while holding the Nook in the other. Folded clothes, rode in the car, watched my daughter’s softball game and sat at the pool, all with the book in my hand. To call me consumed does not do it justice. Obsessed sounds more like it. This action packed, edge of your seat, romantic novel should definitely be put on your “to read by the end of summer “ list. What’s hotter than a hunky, wealthy, romantic vampire…right?

My advice? Pick up book one before reading Blood Jewel. But if not, Jump right in!!! ( )
  momgamerwriter | Jul 17, 2013 |
Blood Jewel, the second installment in The Vampire Agape Series, picks up where Blood of Anteros left off. Curry and Chansey have gone to New Orleans to the compound there for Chansey's safety. Curry has proposed to Chansey and they are making wedding plans. While there, the evil Marsala uses black magic in an attempt to see through Curry's eyes and find out their location. Chansey has other plans for Marsala, and nips that in the bud in a rather entertaining way. However, due to the threat of Marsala finding them, they have to move the wedding plans up. After the wedding and the honeymoon, they go to live with Solomon at the Savannah Compound, in order to keep Chansey safe. Chansey wants Curry to change her, so they can be together for eternity, but Curry doesn't want to. Marsala continues to use black magic, and attempts to kill Chansey. This forces Curry to rethink his decision, and he is torn between keeping her human, or changing her into something he doesn't even want to be himself.

While in Savannah, a new fledgeling is taken in and she begs Solomon and Curry to save her sister, who is being held captive by another vampire cult. It is risky, but they agree to attempt to save her. What they find out is that this girl is a blood jewel. Her blood is like heroin to vampires, they just can't get enough. Solomon is forced to do something during their rescue attempt that he hasn't done in years, and he experiences intense inner turmoil afterwards because of what he has done. In the meantime, Curry and Chansey get a very unexpected surprise, one which will change things forever.

I absolutely loved this book. Georgia Cates is one of my favorite authors and she has delivered another outstanding story in Blood Jewel. The prologue to this story is so moving and just sets you up emotionally for what is to come. I fell more in love with Curry in this book. The story is told from his point of view, which I really enjoyed. He is absolutely dreamy and so hot to. I really liked Chansey also. She is just as feisty as ever. We get to know Solomon a lot better in this book to, as well as being introduced to some new characters, all of which were well written and fun to get to know. I loved the plot, and the story was fast paced and filled with romance, action, drama, and danger. Oh, did I mention that Solomon is pretty swoon-worthy himself. I really enjoyed Georgia's take on vampires. Needless to say, I am looking forward to the next book in the series, Blood Doll, and I am anxious to see where she will take the story from here. If you love vampire stories, with some romance, mystery, and drama in the mix, then Blood Jewel is one book you will want to check out. ( )
  alwaysyaatheart | Aug 23, 2012 |
This is the second installment to the Vampire Agape series. Let me just say that it was a great follow-up to the first, Blood of Anteros. It still leaves me with questions as to what a Blood Jewel is but that only makes me anxiously await the third installment.

Curry and Chansey further their bond as Vampire and Agape. The life they once owned separately is now shared together in marriage, not such an easy task when a Vampire named Marsala refuses to relinquish her passion of getting Curry back all to herself.

This is a very great read by an exceptionally talented author. ( )
  kimbershook | Aug 2, 2012 |

With the mystery of Chansey Leclaire and Curry Brennan's connection solved, they are free to explore their newfound love for one another...or so they thought. When Marsala uses a witch and black magic to discover Curry's whereabouts, he and Chansey are left with no choice. The newly engaged couple is forced to relocate away from their families at the new compound in Savannah, which causes some major changes in the plans for their upcoming wedding. Relocating to Savannah might have saved Curry and Chansey from being discovered by Marsala, but it doesn't stop her attempts to reach Curry or her efforts to harm Chansey through the use of black magic. As Marsala closes in, Curry faces the decision he never wanted to make. Will he keep Chansey human or condemn her to eternity as the thing he hates most? As Curry waits for his hand to be forced, a newly turned vampire arrives at the Savannah compound in need of help. Not only is she a fledgeling in transition, she brings reports of escaping from a vampire cult still in possession of her sister, a human. Any attempt to save the captive human from a cult of vampires puts everyone in jeopardy. Can they risk entering a large cult to save one human being? And is so, how could they possibly do it successfully? Love will grow. New mysteries will arise. A battle will ensue. A Blood Jewel will be found.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible