Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon…

Mistborn: The Final Empire (2006)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (1), Cosmere (2)

5,033222896 (4.27)1 / 497
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (217)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (221)
Absolutely loved this book! The concept of allomancy is completely genius. This book had everything I love in a fantasy novel. Can't wait to continue the rest of the trilogy. ( )
  pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
And this, folks, is why I rarely give up on any author, particularly one writing out of his or her standard genre, after a single try![return][return]Brandon Sanderson has created a mystical world that effortlessly envelops his reader. His prose is eloquent without being stuffy, and his characters' voices very well developed, so that no matter how many new friends or foes are brought into the fracas, it is simple to keep track of names, alliances, and actions.[return][return]Only a single item had me puzzled, though it was one I noticed right away and kept track of from the first mention. I will likely re-read this series in a couple of years, so I'll be on the watch for this singular potential inconsistency. It certainly wasn't enough to really distract from the book, but because of his well-crafted definitions and introductions of other pieces of his world that are not of our own, it stood out.[return][return]Overall, Sanderson has a gift for capturing the nuances of character, and for action that engages both mind and body. His style isn't such that you feel hurtled toward the end, but it is compelling enough that I often had to stop myself jumping to the next dialogue to see what was coming. A very strong start to a series; I'm greatly looking forward to the sequels. ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
This one grew on me... to a point... I still find the characters and the writing a little simplistic, but on the whole an enjoyable read ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
A great start to the series. I can't wait to get into the next one. Vin is a great character that you find yourself sympathizing with right at the beginning. She grows so much as well. Kelsier is a very fun character. Pretty much all of the characters are great. The storyline was very interesting right from the beginning. I'm definitely interested in where Sanderson will take the next book. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Jul 1, 2006)

The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 15, 2006)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,455,694 books! | Top bar: Always visible