Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon…

Mistborn: The Final Empire (2006)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (1)

4,2481851,167 (4.27)1 / 465
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (181)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (184)
Let me start by saying its been a very long time since I have read a fantasy novel. Frankly I became bored with the genre. Then I was forced to read this book. Well perhaps that's too strong, challenged is more like it. In the beginning (of the book) I found myself thinking "Ho hum"...same old story. But then I got about 60 pages in and BAM. Maybe its the same old story, but with a great twist on the whole magic bit and then the whole setting, kinda post apocalyptic. This became that 574 page book that got finished in about 5 days. It was one that I decided I needed to stay up late to finish. And payed the price at work the next day.Completely worth it. Now I need to get the next damn book to read. Thanks alot book boss. Like I needed another series to get sucked into. ( )
  jaddington | Feb 16, 2015 |
Absolutely loved this book! The world Brandon Sanderson created is amazing. The magic system is so in depth and makes the action scenes some of the best written action scenes I have read. The beginning of the book is great as you discover the world. But the ending is so well done with so much excitement and unseen turns. It was great through and through. The best part is that there was a good deal of characters, but you loved them all. They were all individual and important to the story. The ending of the book is an actual ending of the story line, even though it is a trilogy there is closure. ( )
  renbedell | Feb 11, 2015 |
A trilogy constructed along classic Aristotelian lines, and according to Chekhov's maxims, with depth and humor.

Sanderson completed the Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan died. ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 10, 2015 |
BLOG REVIEW: http://chaibooks.blogspot.ca/2015/02/...

Brandon Sanderson is consistently receiving shining reviews from me because he consistently pumps out amazing books. I've read some other books by him, but clearly not enough. Mistborn was an amazing read and is by far my favourite read of 2015 so far!

The world-building is to die for. The city of Luthadel and its outlying regions were described so vividly, yet just subtle enough that it didn't take away from the plot of the story. From the ash, to the plantations, to the deep pits and beyond, the world was beautifully crafted and my whole reason experience was very immersive and wonderful.

This being said, the magic system in this novel is absolutely top. While there were lovely, slower-paced parts in which I got lots of back-story that enhanced my experience (such has Sazeed's parts and the log book), there were also these crazy, action-packed scenes which I believe Sanderson writes beautifully. Sanderson is so good at writing action scenes that feel like a movie in my mind. The physics and science is accounted for as well, keeping the magic system both exciting and complex.

The characters were so lovable and had so many layers of depth. It wasn't always good vs. bad, there was a lot of overlap. The motivations of each character weren't always obvious and often there were hidden reasons why characters did what they did. Kelsier, the mythic rebellion leader, with this charismatic and easy-to-love nature had inner demons, our protagonist Vin still surprised me with her backstory and her personality. Mistborn has a colourful troop of characters, each of them are diverse and interesting.

Also, possible spoilers, but the last 100 pages or so had SO MANY TWISTS AND TURNS. I gasped and cried and yelled and laughed. Everything came together, and then fell apart, and then a huge secret was revealed that made so much sense, then everything was destroyed again. I left Mistborn so satisfied. Brandon Sanderson is a WIZARD. That's the only explanation. How does someone create such vividly beautiful yet subtle and clever works consistency without magic? Perhaps he is using some form of literary Allomancy. Whatever it is, I need to go read more. I cannot recommend Mistborn more. ( )
  Naomi_ChaiBooks | Feb 6, 2015 |
I normally only give a book fifty pages to get good, but this one took a hundred - I wouldn't have kept going if I weren't reading it for my book group. In the end it does start doing fun things with the genre and I really enjoyed the book it turned into, although I wasn't terribly impressed with the prose. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Feb 2, 2015 |
Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Jul 1, 2006)

The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 15, 2006)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:42 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,790,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible