Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon…

Mistborn: The Final Empire (2006)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (1), Cosmere (2)

4,754209985 (4.27)1 / 484
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (204)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (208)
I love the ideas put forth in this trilogy. What if an evil empire turns out to be vitally necessary? What if the One True Religion actually existed, but it's been erased from history and forgotten? What if an altruist becomes a pawn of evil because of their altruistic nature? Is it wrong to worship a god who is evil, if that god's existence is real enough to be proven?

These "Mistborn" books are clever. The premise is clever, the plot is clever, the mysteries and reveals are clever. I enjoyed all three.

Readers make a big deal about the magic system--but In this first book, the rules had inexplicable exceptions. It all gets explained well later in the series.

The character of Vin stands out to me as a strong heroine in SF/F fiction, with realistic flaws and strengths.

Other books I've tried by Sanderson failed to capture me. In fact, I wasn't going to read these, but my book club voted for it. I'm glad I took the chance. This is probably his best work.
  Abby_Goldsmith | Feb 10, 2016 |
Really, really exciting. Brandon Sanderson is pretty much the master of the last-minute completely-unforeseeable twist. I want to start The Well of Ascension, but since I have a queue of about twenty books on the bookshelf by my bed, I can't decide if I want to just bump the whole series up to the front or wait and merge them into the list.

Anyway. I'll be honest, even while I was finding it really interesting, I wasn't completely hooked until fairly close to the end. In fact, for most of the book I was wondering why I wasn't feeling more invested, because of course the story is well done, and I really liked the characters. Maybe it was because of the unbelievably irritating way BS has of starting sentences with conjunctions--which doesn't bother me--and following them with a comma--which does. Literally two or three times in a paragraph, he'll say things like:

"Yet, he had to be stronger than he looked."
"Yet, no one stopped them as they passed through the room."
"But, there's more."
"But, not like you and me, right?"

I can't remember if he did this in Elantris, but I have to admit, I'm not looking forward to more of it in the next two books. I hope The Way of Kings isn't the same... It's just such an irritating thing to have to force myself to ignore every few sentences.

Yes, that's my only real complaint; the book is pretty fantastic otherwise. I love that Brandon Sanderson is such a competent fantasy writer. His style is totally accessible, and he's much easier to read than a lot of other fantasy writers. If you're thinking about exploring this genre, Sanderson is a great place to start.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
4.25 out of 5. The best way can put my experience is this way: I'm glad that I am unemployed because if I had a job while reading this book, I would have certainly been fired for not showing up to work.
It takes me a little time to get into epic fantasies, and this one was no exception, but once I had a grasp on the world and it's characters I was hooked. I skipped a few meals as well as nearly peed my pants because I did not want to put it down. If that's not a glowing recommendation, than I don't know what is.
I will, without a doubt, continue with the next book. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Ah, I love Brandon Sanderson. A lot of fantasy authors try to break free from tired-out fantasy tropes, but Sanderson is one of the only ones that actually succeeds. Mistborn has all of the best things about fantasy--fascinating magic systems, well-rounded characters, a fictional world that feels real--but without the predictability of most epic fantasy series. Even better, this book works wonderfully on its own. Not that I would want to, but I could stop right here and still feel like I got the full Mistborn experience. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 31, 2016 |
I really enjoy this series, but it's darker that I think most people would enjoy. This book has a very depressing, dark, oppressive Dark Ages dystopia feel to it, which can make it difficult to enjoy. A lot of it is very angsty with emotions, which also might be hard to get through for a lot of readers. With that said, as is a staple with Brandon Sanderson, the magic system is fantastically unique, creating a wonderful fantasy. Also, the book has his staple avalanche finish, and doesn't not disappoint. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Jul 1, 2006)

The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 15, 2006)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,192,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible