dismiss

Mistborn: The Final Empire

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (1), Cosmere (2)

7,749322780 (4.28)1 / 570
Experiencing an epiphany within the most daunting prison of the monstrous Lord Ruler, half-Skaa Kelsier finds himself taking on the powers of a Mistborn, and teams up with ragged orphan Vin in a desperate plot to save their world.
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (318)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (322)
Wow. This turned out as good as everyone says! I feel like that rarely happens for me, so this was exciting. The action could be a bit overwhelming with all the allomancy, but it got a lot easier as everything went on. The book was long enough that I got to understand the metals.

All the character's were pretty well done. I love Vin. At first, her personality seemed off, but I think that was partially intentional and, later, her character flows flawlessly. Kell, I also liked, though not as much. I dunno he was really amazing, but it became kind of unbelievable at the end, though I was more than willing to ignore such a tiny misgiving. The addition of the third POV at the end was interesting. When I saw it, I was kind of upset, but the parts were short enough and the POV interesting enough that it actually worked out quite well.

Overall, a very awesome book. Totally lived up to expectations. I can't wait to continue the series! ( )
  Isana | Jul 7, 2020 |
Honestly, I couldn't get past the first 5-6 chapters. The system of magic is really interesting, but the characters just aren't compelling enough for me to keep reading. Even though the magic system is interesting, I was bored stiff reading about the characters using it. ( )
  miketmoore | Jun 29, 2020 |
"It's insanity," she mumbled. "We can't do this, Dox. We're not invincible."
Dockson snorted. "We're not helpless either."

Reading THE FINAL EMPIRE is both an accomplishment and a treat. It's been shelved since January as currently reading, and I would say I really started it at the end of April. The thing is, it required concentration. I have a lot of fantasy under my belt. But fantasy, and particularly this one, where new talents, types of people, creatures, and how metals work are the utmost importance require something different. I'm reminded-or I should say-I rather see reflected in my experience with this book exactly what Alexis Hall said in a GoT blog post...http://www.quicunquevult.com/gots8e6-the-real-iron-throne-was-the-friends-we-made-along-the-way (Don't read the post if you care/don't want spoilers, otherwise, it's quite fun--I hated the series after the third(?) season (and stopped watching) and I think he helped nail down my issues. It has inspired many great discussions within my family) NO SPOILERS BELOW FOR GoT though:
Because my writing and my reading both hop around between genres, I think I might be more aware than many of how much of an acquired skill reading in a genre is. Some time last year I finally got around to reading Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn series (I know, I know, what have I been doing with my time?) and it genuinely took me a while to gearshift back into fantasy mode and remind myself that if I wanted to have any hope of understanding what was going on I had to really pay attention to how Allomancy works. And that was a shift I could make fairly easily, because I am a giant fucking nerd and Sanderson’s mathematically elegant system of magical metals (each pushing or pulling on either the internal or external manifestation of some fundamental principle, and forming pairs containing one pure metal and one alloy) is exactly the kind of thing I enjoy thinking about. But taking a step back it’s also fairly easy for me to realise quite how many people there must be for whom the idea of what-a-particular-sort-of-person-can-do-by-swallowing-a-particular-bit-of-metal being a fundamental aspect of your enjoyment of a story is wholly bizarre and alien.

So that was a lot of Hall to post in my very own review, but it ALSO sums up my fits and starts with this book. And I have to say, when I was in the mode, I was in the mode. While the majority of the beginning 35% of this book were taken in hour pieces or less over a couple months, the final 65% was basically two sittings--45% of in the the last 12 hours. (The book is LONG. But much of it doesn't feel that way even a little)

This book is fucking good. I tend to love uprising/revolutionary type fantasy. And what a world Sanderson has built. His heroine with growth to do during the novel doesn't hurt one bit. She spends much of the book distrustful, dealing in duality, and I think it's going to be a really interesting trajectory.

There's no doubt in my mind why this exists as one my favorite fantasy's readers favorite fantasy trilogy...(yeah. you got that right) I know I'm late to the game and writing a review is essentially pointless, but if any of you out there are fantasy fans and haven't found this book yet, I would suggest diving in with very little hesitation. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
The first 75% takes a bit to get through, but the last 25% is worth it. ( )
  konahart | Jun 16, 2020 |
I know I'm in the minority, but I'm honestly perplexed why people like this book (or this author) so much. It's fine, but I didn't enjoy it. The main character is your typical OP not-like-other-girls girl, and the rest of the characters are your standard faire mis-matched RPGs questing team. The plot is self-important, substituting last minute reveals for substance (m night shyamalan acting as if he's alan moore). And the constantly lauded world building is a sketchy city and some early victorian aristocracy nonsense. Oh, with PLOT.

Then there's the cherished magic system... I feel like, if it's something that takes you a long time to master it shouldn't be able to be believably summarized in a short table in the appendix. Like, I shouldn't feel like I could do the magic in this world after reading an appendix, I certainly don't think I can fence or win a knife fight, which should conceivably be the same level of difficulty?

I also don't get why it's a "good" magic system just because it's simplistic, the actual abilities gained by burning various metals don't make any sense in relation to each other. Like, the explanation "different metals do different things" doesn't actually make any more sense than those people just having those abilities innately and getting tired once in a while instead of running out of metal. It's internally consistent, sure, but it's also boring and mechanical. Which, to me, is the opposite of magical...

If you enjoy this book, good on you! Great! I didn't! It will all be ok. ( )
  systemfailure | Jun 16, 2020 |

Stewart, IsaacMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,882,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible