Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon…

Mistborn: The Final Empire (2006)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (1), Cosmere (2)

5,542241779 (4.27)1 / 527
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (235)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (239)
There are some big advantages to coming to a series late, like being able to read the entire series back-to-back rather than wait those long painful months until the next exciting instalment. I guess that makes me a "binge" reader.

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series is classic fantasy in just about every respect. Normally I'd give a brief overview of the book, but I'm doing this review for the entire trilogy. And as this is a fantasy series I don't really have the space for a brief overview of a trilogy. Don't ask me to write that much, not today, Lord-Ruler not today. Oh okay. [spoiler] The story follows Vin from street thief to, powerful warrior, to god. [/spoiler] H'uh, did that easily, didn't I?

Mistborn: The Final Empire was first published 9 years ago in 2006, with The Well of Ascension following in 2007, and then The Hero of Ages in 2008; so I'm only a few years behind the times. But this gives me a decided advantage over the people who were hooked on this series back in '06. As I mentioned above, I read this series back to back, something I rarely do but something that well written fantasy series inspire me to do.

I really enjoyed the series but couldn't quite bring myself to give this 5 stars. There is a lot to like about the world Sanderson has created - the metal burning being the basis of magic skills being pretty cool - and there were several characters I enjoyed following - notably Vin and Sazed. The first book suffers a little from Sanderson's pedantic world-building, the second book is tightly written, enjoyable, but felt like it had a false ending before the actual finish, then the final book really delivered on the series. So I'm giving the Mistborn series 4.5 stars and recommending reading the trilogy back to back. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I put off reading Sanderson for a while just because the hype scared me away a bit. I've been reading through Wheel of Time and when I needed a break from the series decided I might as well give Sanderson as try, since I'd be reading him soon anyway.

So glad I finally did. What a great book, it really reminded my of the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by NK Jemisin in the way he manages to fuse a dark atmosphere with a light readability, a fantasy action novel with an intimate narrative style, a sense of breadth an history with immediacy and tension, and integrates romance naturally into a story without it seeming stuck on artificially. It wasn't perfect, some of Vin's character developments seemed to jump forward without the growth being shown, the magic system got confusing at times, and the ending that everyone loved so much was, indeed, amazing, but felt like it tied relatively little up. Those flaws can easily be excused as long as the rest of the series keeps up the great overall presentation he achieved here. Don't know why I waited so long to read him, but I definitely won't wait long to continue. ( )
  gtfernandezm | May 30, 2017 |
This book was simply amazing. I have been meaning to try some Brandon Sanderson for a while now and I saw this sitting on the library shelf so I took it home with me ... just over a week later I emerged from a world of dark lords, thieving crews and Allomancy hungry for more.

This is the story of Vin, a skaa street urchin, who finds herself suddenly thrown into the world of Allomancy (magic that gives people an assortment of powers after burning metals), nobility, power plays and one very outlandish plan to overthrow a dark power. I was hooked from page one, the world is so beautifully written and the magic system is so unique and detailed. Coupled with that is a fantastic assortment of characters to get to know, my particular favourites being the ever philosophical Sazed and of course the man at the centre of it all, Kelsier.

I've not really tried adult fantasy before, however I am a long term fan of young adult so it was bound to happen eventually. I have The Well of Ascension on order at the library and it cannot arrive soon enough. Great fun and something I would recommend to any fantasy lovers to try. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | May 23, 2017 |
A band of thieves fight to free their people from a cruel Emperor… The magic of this world is so unique and the characters so engaging—I love recommending this series!
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 4, 2017 |
a bit slow at first, but then you find yourself thinking about it all day long. ( )
  veredi | Mar 25, 2017 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,146,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible