The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) by…

The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Brandon Sanderson

6,599279891 (4.28)1 / 554
Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (2006)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (275)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (279)
Mistborn. Born in the mist. Wears a Mistborn cloak. Knows everything and is a pretty cool fighter. Great with Allomancy, which is magic that uses metals that you eat. Cool, yeah?

I very much enjoyed the story, the twists, the Allomancy, and the fight scenes. Sanderson is a great action writer and knows how to make you turn the page. The magic system using different metals is original, well thought out and highly interesting. However, his characters are one dimensional, and his writing is too juvenile, naive. Most annoyingly, he has a tendency to explain things too many times. This ruins one’s own discoveries.

Overall, I both enjoyed it and rolled my eyes often. The crew plans the great heist/rebellion, yet much of the action is initiated by impulsive bravado. They are fighting to free the skaa, but we spend way more time among the aristocracy. The final showdown was awesome, but they end up with a young, naive, inexperienced nobelman as King! So much for skaa freedom. Why set up a kingdom after a rebellion? And why with a King who was not even one of the leaders? And is a nobleman? . The entire “Vin as noblewoman” storyline is an excuse for balls, pretty dresses, and a rather naive and awkward romance story - she barely learns anything important.

I am in trouble with my rating, as this was both good and not so good - I am going with four stars because overall I enjoyed it and read it rather fast - even with the occasional eye-rolling. And I definitely will read the sequels. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
HOLY CRAP THIS BOOK IS SO DAMN GOOD I CAN'T EVEN!

This has to be one of the best damned book I've ever read.
The world building was freaking amazing! I loved the magic system and how detailed and well constructed it was, I loved the history and politics involved, the mysteries the world holds are just amazing and they just intrigued me even more.

I have to admit, before starting this, I was a little skeptical because it's such a hyped up series and I was afraid it wouldn't live up to its reputation, but once I started it, I knew that couldn't be the case.
Now that I've finished this book I can say for certain that not only did it live up to its reputation, it surpassed it.

The Final Empire starts off by a band of thieves who got the job of their lives, one that would not only make them rich, but also make them the most known in their domain. But as the story progresses it turns out there's more than meets the eyes about this job.
The story had such strong and interesting friendships (old and new) and I really liked how well constructed the relations between the characters were in this book. Not to mention how very likable the characters themselves are.
I loved Vin, Kelsier, Ham, Breeze, Marsh, Clubs, Spook... and the whole squad basically.
I also really liked Elend Venture, he was so fun to read about.

Then there was that ending, bloody gory damned hell what the actual fucking fuck was that?????

It starts off with normal executions then it's actually Lord Renoix and Spook and the next thing we know Kelsier is fighting an enquisiter, then BAM he's dead!
And for some reason, his death just didn't resonate with me, I just refused to accept it, even though it made sense, Kelsier made himself the people's new god, he was asking about this religion and all. But my brain just refused to acknowledge that and I kept waiting for him to show up again.
Then everything was just a blurr of action for me; First Vin is off to fight the lord ruler and she's captured and her dad is exposed and then Elend is there to save her and then Marsh is actually alive and then the lord ruler is dead and Elend is the new king??????
Like whaaaaaaaaat?

This part basically fucked me up, broke me, burned me and scattered my ashes.

All in all, this was such a great book, I'm so glad I finally picked it up.
Now *singing* Off to the next one ( )
  Ray_ | Feb 18, 2019 |
4.5/5 stars.
FYI, it says I read it twice, but I've only read it once

I don't often read fantasy books anymore, but I needed a change. It took a long time to get through this book. It certainly felt like I read a lot more than 600 pages. It took me twice as long than it normally would.

Overall, I really liked it. I'm not certain if it's a favorite or not. I liked reading it and wanted to see how things would go, but I also feel like there is something that holds me back from being one with all the characters. I did really like the group of people. I would've liked a bit more shocks and surprises. ( )
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
What is not to like about this book? The world building is awesome, the characters I loved and felt connected to. There was plenty of action to move the story forward with some surprises thrown in along the way. The prose was good. This is everything an epic fantasy needs for me to love it.

I especially liked there was no huge cliffhanger. I know there are plenty of places the story can go from here. I am super excited to read the next one in the series. ( )
  purpledog | Jan 28, 2019 |
I checked this book out from my local library.

Let me start by saying that I really admire Brandon Sanderson's creativity and imagination. He has created a wider variety of magics in his worlds than I have seen from any other author.

I was not as captivated by this book. It was a good read with some slow parts. The magic was very interesting and the ideas were unique and well worth reading. I felt that the characters lacked depth. I was not drawn in to really care about them, which to me is the earmark of a great novel or series.

I give this book a C . ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,368,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible