The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) by…

The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Brandon Sanderson

6,308264911 (4.28)1 / 546
Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Final Empire (Mistborn, Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (2006)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (259)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (263)
This book is awesome! Like some of my other favorites, it tells an epic tale, by means of the very real people who make it happen. It's simultaneously personal and world-spanning. And, somehow, managed to grab my attention throughout 654 pages.

It also dealt with the economics of an empire sensibly and believable. It's amazing, to me, how many fantasy novelist don't seem to grasp basic economics.

This book was great fantasy, but, like all really great books, was about the people involved. Every character had realistic depth and richness, even if you didn't spend a lot of time with the character. And the core characters were all outstanding. They tended to start as stereotypes, then developed into fascinating people.

I didn't realize, when I started this book, that it's part of a trilogy. And I really don't mind. The book has a deeply satisfying end, even while leaving a couple loose ends for the next book to pick up. I'm very happy to have read this one, and looking forward to the next one. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
I was really impressed by this book. The characters are vividly drawn, and the story is wonderful. The world-building that Sanderson has done is exceptional, both in its scope and his attention to detail. I've heard people compare it to a cross between Mieville's Perdido Street Station and George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, and that's fairly accurate as things go. It conveys quite clearly the complexity, strangeness and oppression of Mieville's works, while maintaining the gritty, political, and character-driven work of Martin.

It's forced me to ask the question of whether I'd put it on the same level as my some of my favorite works of epic fantasy, such as Rothfuss' Name of the Wind, or even George R.R. Martin's work. The answer is that I'm not sure, but its so damn close that the distinction barely matters.

I cannot wait to read the next book in the series. I took a break to process the book I had just finished, and to jot down my thoughts in this review. I now intend to go immediately go back to my Kindle and start reading the second book in the series: The Well of Ascension. ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
This book was so good. In a few ways it reminded me of Divergent. But, in a lot of ways it was so so different. I loved how Brandon Sanderson built this world and explained how everything works. I love the main characters. And even the side characters were built up at the right moments to where you actually care for them. Instead of being a whole book of information dumping it just flowed so nicely. You understand everything and love everyone. 5 stars for me and I cannot wait until I read the next book. ( )
  AmandaLD | Apr 18, 2018 |
It's clear that Sanderson spent a good deal of time and energy in creating a very unique magic system that is wholly his own, and that aspect of the story felt very strong. Though it did get a tad tedious having it explained over and over in the opening of the book. I feel that the second book may be a lot more exciting and a little less dragging now that the magic system has been fully explained, and hopefully won't need to be discussed too much going forward.
As a protagonist I enjoyed Vin. I actually thought her story arch, and overall characterization was well fleshed out and interesting.
However, hers was the only characterization I actually thought was super strong. The crew members were all essentially one dimensional and felt more like filler then anything substantial to the story line. Even Kelsier and Eland, who played a larger role and felt somewhat more fleshed out, fell pretty flat for me. They just weren't strong enough to really drive the story and keep me as invested.
Overall I think this is a solid start to the series, and I one I am interested in continuing on with. I think Sanderson is a solid writer with some great ideas, and I'm curious to see how this all unfolds. I was surprised that so much was wrapped up in this one installment, and was sure some of the story elements would have expanded throughout the entire series, so it will be really interesting to see how the next books move on from here.
I think the best way for me to describe my reaction to this novel was that I liked it, I did not love it. ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Apr 15, 2018 |
A fantastic novel by a new author (for me) that had me turning pages for the past two days. This is a great fantasy story that creates a magic system that is both unique and fun to appreciate. The story does a great job of world building, and while the characters were at times typical of fantasy novels, I enjoyed getting to know them and form a connection with them. The end of the novel ties up pretty much all the loose ends of the story, but it also opens questions for future books. The final two in the trilogy are something to look forward to and I will most definitely be reading them. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stewart, IsaacMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,023,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible