Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1)…

Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Brandon Sanderson

4,780207973 (4.27)1 / 484
Member:trickster42
Title:Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (2006)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (202)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (206)
4.25 out of 5. The best way can put my experience is this way: I'm glad that I am unemployed because if I had a job while reading this book, I would have certainly been fired for not showing up to work.
It takes me a little time to get into epic fantasies, and this one was no exception, but once I had a grasp on the world and it's characters I was hooked. I skipped a few meals as well as nearly peed my pants because I did not want to put it down. If that's not a glowing recommendation, than I don't know what is.
I will, without a doubt, continue with the next book. ( )
  beertraveler | Feb 5, 2016 |
Ah, I love Brandon Sanderson. A lot of fantasy authors try to break free from tired-out fantasy tropes, but Sanderson is one of the only ones that actually succeeds. Mistborn has all of the best things about fantasy--fascinating magic systems, well-rounded characters, a fictional world that feels real--but without the predictability of most epic fantasy series. Even better, this book works wonderfully on its own. Not that I would want to, but I could stop right here and still feel like I got the full Mistborn experience. ( )
  AngelClaw | Jan 31, 2016 |
I really enjoy this series, but it's darker that I think most people would enjoy. This book has a very depressing, dark, oppressive Dark Ages dystopia feel to it, which can make it difficult to enjoy. A lot of it is very angsty with emotions, which also might be hard to get through for a lot of readers. With that said, as is a staple with Brandon Sanderson, the magic system is fantastically unique, creating a wonderful fantasy. Also, the book has his staple avalanche finish, and doesn't not disappoint. ( )
  atoponce | Jan 29, 2016 |
It is hard to write about the books we love. It is even harder to write about the books most people have already written about and have done it much better.

The Final Empire has a great premise at its core. It deals with failure. Since anything else about the fact would be a major spoiler, I'll stop here (it is so huge that I don't want to tempt people with spoiler tags).

The Final Empire is a bleak land. People have forgotten that grass and the trees should be green since the nearby mountains cover the land in dark ash. The skaa, enslaved ordinary people, live in misery and fear. It was hard to read about the things the skaa have to endure. "...an official cursed and shoved a man out of the line. The skaa worker fell hard, but eventually picked himself back up and shuffled to the end of the line. It was likely that if he wasn’t let out of the city, he wouldn’t be able to do his day’s work—and no work meant no food tokens for his family."That is one of the milder examples, and it is more than upsetting. The nobles use the skaa for manual labour and other, worse things. But they don't own them. The one who owns the skaa is the Lord Ruler, who has ruled this now horrible land for a thousand years. The skaa are slaves to their own superstitions as much as they are slaves to the nobility and the Lord Ruler.
And as it is always the case with repressive societies, there will always be someone who could offer a thread of hope. There is no completely black and white division in this world. There are a number of protagonists, but the story mostly revolves around the two major ones - Kelsier, the brilliant master criminal who survived things no ordinary person could and kept on smiling and Vin, a street thief who learned the true meaning of friendship and trust."He forced himself to smile—not out of pleasure, and not out of satisfaction. He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler—and to himself—that he wasn’t beaten."How can you not love a character like that? It almost broke my heart reading that. Kelsier became one of my favourite heroes.

The magic system is interesting too. The way it is introduced is brilliant. You don't simply get to read that this metal does this or that metal does that. It is done through Vin's training. Each member of Kelsier's crew has something to teach Vin, an ability or in Kelsier's case abilities, and through them Vin learns how to use allomancy.

The main story is finished in this book, but certain comments made in the last few pages left an opening for another great fight against the odds. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
DNF- I just don't understand why so many people liked this book and why there are so many five star reviews. May be it is the reading mood I have been in lately, but I own this book and have tried 3 to 4 different times to read it and I just couldn't get into it. I don't know if it is too slow paced or what it is. I did get a couple hundred pages into it which usually by then you want to know what is going to happen. I am going to one day try to re-read this and hopefully I end up liking it a lot, but right now I just don't have a desire to read it because of how slow and kind of boring it is right now. ( )
  baumallison | Jan 25, 2016 |
Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Jul 1, 2006)

The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 15, 2006)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,080,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible