Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1)…

Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Brandon Sanderson

5,408240802 (4.27)1 / 522
Member:trickster42
Title:Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (2006)

Recently added bymeaghangray, fisofo, forgettheswan, Birkit, private library, cctesttc1, PWRD, cristabel, jgbresson, Firiel
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (229)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (233)
It is hard to write about the books we love. It is even harder to write about the books most people have already written about and have done it much better.

The Final Empire has a great premise at its core. It deals with failure. Since anything else about the fact would be a major spoiler, I'll stop here (it is so huge that I don't want to tempt people with spoiler tags).

The Final Empire is a bleak land. People have forgotten that grass and the trees should be green since the nearby mountains cover the land in dark ash. The skaa, enslaved ordinary people, live in misery and fear. It was hard to read about the things the skaa have to endure. "...an official cursed and shoved a man out of the line. The skaa worker fell hard, but eventually picked himself back up and shuffled to the end of the line. It was likely that if he wasn’t let out of the city, he wouldn’t be able to do his day’s work—and no work meant no food tokens for his family."That is one of the milder examples, and it is more than upsetting. The nobles use the skaa for manual labour and other, worse things. But they don't own them. The one who owns the skaa is the Lord Ruler, who has ruled this now horrible land for a thousand years. The skaa are slaves to their own superstitions as much as they are slaves to the nobility and the Lord Ruler.
And as it is always the case with repressive societies, there will always be someone who could offer a thread of hope. There is no completely black and white division in this world. There are a number of protagonists, but the story mostly revolves around the two major ones - Kelsier, the brilliant master criminal who survived things no ordinary person could and kept on smiling and Vin, a street thief who learned the true meaning of friendship and trust."He forced himself to smile—not out of pleasure, and not out of satisfaction. He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler—and to himself—that he wasn’t beaten."How can you not love a character like that? It almost broke my heart reading that. Kelsier became one of my favourite heroes.

The magic system is interesting too. The way it is introduced is brilliant. You don't simply get to read that this metal does this or that metal does that. It is done through Vin's training. Each member of Kelsier's crew has something to teach Vin, an ability or in Kelsier's case abilities, and through them Vin learns how to use allomancy.

The main story is finished in this book, but certain comments made in the last few pages left an opening for another great fight against the odds. ( )
  Aneris | Feb 15, 2017 |
the romance was insta-love-ish and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Also the character development of the protagonist seemed too rushed. But overall, I liked this book. The characters were amazing. I may have teared up at one point near the end... I also realized that the world has a lot in common with the Grishaverse. Did Bardugo draw inspiration from this book? Anyways, can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  bookishpeach240 | Feb 7, 2017 |
You can also read the review at Hi books! It's me JethPlain

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I Love it !

“But you can't kill me, Lord Tyrant. I represent that one thing you've never been able to kill, no matter how hard you try. I am hope.”

Set in a world where the sun is red, ash falls from the sky and at night mists envelopes the land. The society is divided in a caste system. The Noblemen (Highborn Nobles, lowborn Nobles), Terrismen (Stewards), and lastly the Skaa; all of whom are owned by the Lord Ruler who leases them to nobles. They are the serfs in this world. They do all the manual labor working in forges, mills, farms and mines. They are beaten, with little to no pay, lack or poor food. The Noblemen are the descendants of the people who supported the Lord Ruler before his Ascension and granted them Allomancy, made them taller, less fertile (so he could control them), intelligent and stronger. As for the Skaa are said to be descendants of the people who support him; he made them slower and more fertile (more workers). But after a thousand years on interbreeding the distinctions have been blurred. Nobles can bed Skaa women as long as they kill them soon after. But there those who escape thus producing Mistings and Mistborn Skaa who often use their skills with thieving crews to scam the nobles and the rich. From of these crews comes our main characters

Characters

Vin
- The main protagonist, an orphan street urchin who's a member of a thieving crew where she is valued by the leader, Camon as a lucky charm. At the beginning of the story, she is paranoid and mistrust everyone believing that everyone will betray her when given the opportunity. She's a talented Mistborn due to her father being one of the purer-blooded noble men.

Kelsier or Kell
- A crew leader who survived the "Pits of Hathsin". Smart, Charismatic, and a bit self-centered. Kelsier came out the pits changed. Instead of just fame and fortune, he wants to achieve something more. He wants to free the world of the Lord Ruler, liberate the Skaa and bring back the world to the way that it used to be. His is one of the rare Mistborn who trains Vin.

Sazed or Saze
- A Terrisman and Keeper. He's under the service of Kelsier and assists his crew in their missions and trains Vin in the proper etiquette of a noble lady.

Dockson or Dox
- Kelsier's right-hand man. He maintain's the ledger and contracts of the crew, seeing to their needs and making sure there are money and supplies.

Hammond or Ham
- is a misting pewterarms. He burns pewter which makes him very strong. He's in charge of security for the crew and acts as a General to the rebellion army.

Breeze
- is a misting soother . He can soothe emotions of quite a number of people, manipulating them according to their crews plans.

Clubs
- is a misting smoker. His responsibility is to make sure to hide the crew in a "coppercloud" so that the Inquisitors (who hunt down Skaa born Mistings and Mistborn) won't sense them using their powers or allomancy.

Elend Venture
- a nobleman, heir to the most powerful house in Luthadel. He reads a lot of forbidden books criticising the Lord Rulers Empire and dreams of a better world for the Skaa and nobles.

Photos:
Vin by Reiyeka http://www.17thshard.com/forum/galler...
Kelsier by http://nijuuni.deviantart.com/art/Mis...
Sazed by http://www.anemonetea.com/uploads/2/4...
Elend by http://www.anemonetea.com/uploads/2/4...

Clubs, Ham, Dockson , Breeze, Marsh,Tindwyl,Zane, Elend, Elend II, Vin , Valette by http://40.media.tumblr.com/ba15df2194...

View all my reviews (less) ( )
  jethplain | Feb 5, 2017 |
Another amazing magic system from Sanderson! This novel was full of adventure, action, and meaningful character developement. Each of the characters is unique and yet fits perfectly into the story. A truly fantastic read, and I plan on reading it again and again. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
I really wanted to like this book a lot. And mostly I did. Plot, characterization, theme all were good. But the setting just bothered me a lot. Each time I picked up the book, I was eager to find out what happened next, but I had to really psych myself up to deal with the allomancy* stuff. I just couldn't manage to suspend my disbelief.

I own the book, but it may go to Half-Price books next time I'm there. I don't expect to re-read it. And I don't plan to read any more of the series.

I really loved The Emperor's Soul, so I might try a different series before I give up on this author.

CarolJMO | Dec 12, 2016 |
The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.

Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kramer, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]

Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,692,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible