Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1)…

Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Mistborn (1)

4,4711961,094 (4.27)1 / 480
Member:trickster42
Title:Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (2006)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (193)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (196)
READ THIS!! ( )
  Gustavo_Penha | Aug 19, 2015 |
This one was hard for me for the first 100 pages, but then I fell in love. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Overall - Insightful, original, exciting, satisfying and bloody, "Mistborn" was a top notch fantasy read. I was pleasantly surprised by the Bran San's use of faith. However, I am unable to give the full 5 stars for it's reference to the most cliché theme ever, Good vs. Evil.

What I loved -
The magic system. By the Lord Ruler what an amazing magic system! It's beyond me how someone could make such a realistic and believable system, Allomancy and Feruchemy have definately won me over and changes the way I will forever look at magic.
The ending, blew my mind. Wow. What a fantastic way to end it, I didn't see the twist coming and I was left just star struck! For these two reasons alone, read the book.
Vin was awesome. She was everything I hoped for in a protagonist! Someone who thinks utterly different for me, and so bad ass.
Kelsier was cool, but just because someone's cool doesn't mean I'll like them. (Kinf of spoiler alert) I was honestly hoping for Kelsier to overthrow the empire and keep it for himself, but Kelsier's conclusion still was very satisfying. Way to go, Kelsier Christ!
The setting was just fantastic. I love dark and bloody worlds, and this is some of the darkest and bloodiest stuff you will encounter! The amount of death and destruction was quite heavy, not the heaviest, but man relatively this is Batista to the world's largest man.
Body modifications are readily used, something I personally have lots of interest in! I wish I could store energy in my piercings...

What I disliked -
I'm soooooooo tired of the Good vs. Evil theme, not only is it trite and way overused, but it's a naive concept! Was The lord ruler evil or good? Neither, he was a man consumed by fear, hatred and literal power, something certain people would consider "evil forces" but those are just survival instincts and tools, which were used to hurt other people unfortunately. That's another thing. Would you consider the deepness evil? Well, so far I have a very limited knowledge on the deepness, but I'm going to assume it's like every other "evil force", such as the Scourge in Weaveworld, or the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. Do I think it should be stopped? Yes, survival is an instinct of humans. Is it evil though? Is winter evil? No, death and destruction are a part of life, the world has a balance between life and death, neither of which are evil, they just are. Couldn't there be a more realistic themes going on? I would've loved for Bran San to stick more to the battle between opression and free will.
What bothers me as well is the author creates this world of "Good vs. Evil", yet the martyr, the jesus christ of Mistborn, Kelsier kills nobles indiscriminately, yet claims "Oh yeah there's good and evil". Like how fucking hypocritical.

I disliked and liked -
Brandon Sanderson's quotes on faith. Before this, my understanding of faith was a stuborness and ignorance to believe in something that has no proof or backing. Did my view change? Slightly. I think faith can also be used in a good way. Faith can be linked to hope, the feeling that when everything is pushing you down and nothing but adversity presents itself, you can get back up and persevere. I like the way Sazed put it, how it's hard to
believe in failure, and how faith is meant as a tool of perserverance. However, when you have irresputible and undeniable evidence that you are wrong, and/or your views do harm to the world (Most organized religion) then you shouldn't continue to claim ignorance and hold onto such harmful and faulty views, such is the nature of progression. ( )
  incantator | Aug 9, 2015 |
You know what? I know the globe worships Brandon Sanderson, and I must admit he is a good writer, but boy does he take his sweet time getting to the point.

I just can't. It's a massive book turnoff for me when I start to space out while waiting for things to develop in the plot. Chalk it down to writing style preference, and although I like Brandon Sanderson's world-building, I don't like his writing style. There just isn't enough to keep me on my toes for a book a book sporting this kind of page count. And it is impressive...

The concept was beautiful I must admit. A band of thieves, some of them who shouldn't even exist join forces to try and overthrow a tyrant who rules over a world filled with ash, misery and hate with an iron fist of cruelty. Working the ash fields as the beating heart of the entire Empire are the poor skaa, the slaves. The setting was taken from the old American south, with the barracks, field work, beatings, and 'masters'. The masters ware few, the slaves were many but fear and pain breed ignorance and superstition needed to keep people in line.

Masters are gifted with Lord Ruler's powers, as a thank you for their services all those years ago and the masters guard those jealously. If a master would take a skaa woman, after he was done with her he would have her killed, to ensure that there would be no child, no bastard, no halfbreed. Even a concept of a halfbreed is dangerous. The poor and the enslaved do not need someone like them developing any hope. But like everywhere, there are the few that manage to survive.

That leads us to the band of misfits and thieves that are the best in their field because of that power. Their leader Kelsier and Vin the sweet girl just beginning to understand who and what she truly is.

See what I mean? It sounds so good, and honestly it is very good, just boring at times. I felt like every powerful moment was diluted with inconsequential conversation and the sheer amount of time that passed between two important events.

What didn't help the story any was the fact that it was PG13. I am not complaining about the absences of scenes of a sexual nature, rather than that connection with adulthood. It was all so smooth and cushioned at moments and that is simply not the way life works. Especially in a world so dark and twisted as this.

Would I recommend this to other people? Yes I would. Just not my cuppa; and although it was good I won't finish the series any time soon. ( )
  IvieHill | Aug 6, 2015 |
I read 30% of this book before dropping it. The story progresses quite slowly I felt and the characters are not consistent. It feels like a great concept but there was still more thinking required to make it feel more realistic. For ex. Luthadel is the capital city and in another nearby city Sazed and Lord Renoux live... okay I forgot what exactly I was going to say because I'm really sleepy. But the main thing is that there were lots of inconsistencies in the novel - small things which don't add up properly. It's like I'm saying X was scared but then I'm getting very slight indications that prove that he was actually the exact opposite.

Anyway, Im glad I dropped the book. Now I'm free to read something else instead. ( )
  MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Jul 1, 2006)

The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 15, 2006)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
FOR BETH SANDERSON,
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.

Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,129,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible