Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1)…

Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Brandon Sanderson

4,6201971,032 (4.27)1 / 481
Title:Mistborn : Final Empire Series (Book #1) (Mistborn, Book 1)
Authors:Brandon Sanderson
Info:Tor Fantasy (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 672 pages

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson (2006)

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (fyrefly98, souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although the authors have different writing styles, both are epic fantasy books with a caper/heist/team of thieves at their centre
    Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey (Konran)
    Konran: For those who were interested by the logbooks, Banewreaker is told from the point of view of the "evil" side of you traditional fantasy story.
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (leahsimone)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (leahsimone)
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima (foggidawn)
    Seeker by Arwen Dayton (kgriffith)
    The Dragon's Path by Daniel Abraham (ajwseven)
    Son of Avonar by Carol Berg (Konran)
    Dune by Frank Herbert (wvlibrarydude)
    wvlibrarydude: Substance gives power to individual. Lots of political intrigue with interesting characters.
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Katya0133)
    Katya0133: The tone of these two books is very different, but they way Katniss looked at the world, specifically the way she couldn't understand kindness as a motivation, reminded me of Vin in the first Mistborn book.

English (193)  Catalan (2)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (197)
The Mistborn series creates exactly the kind of fantasy world I enjoy: all the "magical powers" have well-defined rules; there is an interesting main plot with something at stake; there is an extensive mythology behind the universe; and there are a large number of fun, deep characters. All of it creates wonderful fuel for the imagination and it's hard to put the book down. It's also well written, full of fun dialog and exciting, vibrant action sequences. I'd love to see it turned into a video game. ( )
  brikis98 | Nov 11, 2015 |
It is hard to write about the books we love. It is even harder to write about the books most people have already written about and have done it much better.

The Final Empire has a great premise at its core. It deals with failure. Since anything else about the fact would be a major spoiler, I'll stop here (it is so huge that I don't want to tempt people with spoiler tags).

The Final Empire is a bleak land. People have forgotten that grass and the trees should be green since the nearby mountains cover the land in dark ash. The skaa, enslaved ordinary people, live in misery and fear. It was hard to read about the things the skaa have to endure. "...an official cursed and shoved a man out of the line. The skaa worker fell hard, but eventually picked himself back up and shuffled to the end of the line. It was likely that if he wasn’t let out of the city, he wouldn’t be able to do his day’s work—and no work meant no food tokens for his family."That is one of the milder examples, and it is more than upsetting. The nobles use the skaa for manual labour and other, worse things. But they don't own them. The one who owns the skaa is the Lord Ruler, who has ruled this now horrible land for a thousand years. The skaa are slaves to their own superstitions as much as they are slaves to the nobility and the Lord Ruler.
And as it is always the case with repressive societies, there will always be someone who could offer a thread of hope. There is no completely black and white division in this world. There are a number of protagonists, but the story mostly revolves around the two major ones - Kelsier, the brilliant master criminal who survived things no ordinary person could and kept on smiling and Vin, a street thief who learned the true meaning of friendship and trust."He forced himself to smile—not out of pleasure, and not out of satisfaction. He smiled despite the grief he felt at the deaths of his men; he smiled because that was what he did. That was how he proved to the Lord Ruler—and to himself—that he wasn’t beaten."How can you not love a character like that? It almost broke my heart reading that. Kelsier became one of my favourite heroes.

The magic system is interesting too. The way it is introduced is brilliant. You don't simply get to read that this metal does this or that metal does that. It is done through Vin's training. Each member of Kelsier's crew has something to teach Vin, an ability or in Kelsier's case abilities, and through them Vin learns how to use allomancy.

The main story is finished in this book, but certain comments made in the last few pages left an opening for another great fight against the odds. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
  Gustavo_Penha | Aug 19, 2015 |
This one was hard for me for the first 100 pages, but then I fell in love. ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 12, 2015 |
Overall - Insightful, original, exciting, satisfying and bloody, "Mistborn" was a top notch fantasy read. I was pleasantly surprised by the Bran San's use of faith. However, I am unable to give the full 5 stars for it's reference to the most cliché theme ever, Good vs. Evil.

What I loved -
The magic system. By the Lord Ruler what an amazing magic system! It's beyond me how someone could make such a realistic and believable system, Allomancy and Feruchemy have definately won me over and changes the way I will forever look at magic.
The ending, blew my mind. Wow. What a fantastic way to end it, I didn't see the twist coming and I was left just star struck! For these two reasons alone, read the book.
Vin was awesome. She was everything I hoped for in a protagonist! Someone who thinks utterly different for me, and so bad ass.
Kelsier was cool, but just because someone's cool doesn't mean I'll like them. (Kinf of spoiler alert) I was honestly hoping for Kelsier to overthrow the empire and keep it for himself, but Kelsier's conclusion still was very satisfying. Way to go, Kelsier Christ!
The setting was just fantastic. I love dark and bloody worlds, and this is some of the darkest and bloodiest stuff you will encounter! The amount of death and destruction was quite heavy, not the heaviest, but man relatively this is Batista to the world's largest man.
Body modifications are readily used, something I personally have lots of interest in! I wish I could store energy in my piercings...

What I disliked -
I'm soooooooo tired of the Good vs. Evil theme, not only is it trite and way overused, but it's a naive concept! Was The lord ruler evil or good? Neither, he was a man consumed by fear, hatred and literal power, something certain people would consider "evil forces" but those are just survival instincts and tools, which were used to hurt other people unfortunately. That's another thing. Would you consider the deepness evil? Well, so far I have a very limited knowledge on the deepness, but I'm going to assume it's like every other "evil force", such as the Scourge in Weaveworld, or the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs. Do I think it should be stopped? Yes, survival is an instinct of humans. Is it evil though? Is winter evil? No, death and destruction are a part of life, the world has a balance between life and death, neither of which are evil, they just are. Couldn't there be a more realistic themes going on? I would've loved for Bran San to stick more to the battle between opression and free will.
What bothers me as well is the author creates this world of "Good vs. Evil", yet the martyr, the jesus christ of Mistborn, Kelsier kills nobles indiscriminately, yet claims "Oh yeah there's good and evil". Like how fucking hypocritical.

I disliked and liked -
Brandon Sanderson's quotes on faith. Before this, my understanding of faith was a stuborness and ignorance to believe in something that has no proof or backing. Did my view change? Slightly. I think faith can also be used in a good way. Faith can be linked to hope, the feeling that when everything is pushing you down and nothing but adversity presents itself, you can get back up and persevere. I like the way Sazed put it, how it's hard to
believe in failure, and how faith is meant as a tool of perserverance. However, when you have irresputible and undeniable evidence that you are wrong, and/or your views do harm to the world (Most organized religion) then you shouldn't continue to claim ignorance and hold onto such harmful and faulty views, such is the nature of progression. ( )
  incantator | Aug 9, 2015 |
Intrigue, politics, and conspiracies mesh completely in a world Sanderson realizes in satisfying depth and peoples with impressive characters.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Regina Schroeder (Jul 1, 2006)
The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 15, 2006)

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Green, SamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Who's been reading fantasy
For longer than I've been alive,
And fully deserves
To have a grandson as loony as she is
Ash fell from the sky.
Women are like ... thunderstorms. They're beautiful to look at, and sometimes they're nice to listen to--but most of the time they're just plain inconvenient. [p. 307]
Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy trilogy overturns the expectations of readers and then goes on to tell the epic story of evil overturned in a richly imagined world. A thousand years ago evil came to the land and has ruled with an iron hand ever since. The sun shines fitfully under clouds of ash that float down endlessly from the constant eruption of volcanoes. A dark lord rules through the aristocratic families and ordinary folk are condemned to lives in servitude, sold as goods, labouring in the ash fields. But now a troublemaker has arrived and there is rumour of revolt. A revolt that depends on a criminal that no-one can trust and a young girl who must master Allomancy - the magic that lies in all metals. A word of mouth success in the states the Mistborn trilogy has, this year, broken onto the New York Times Bestseller list. The time is ripe for its success to cross the Atlantic

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765350386, Mass Market Paperback)

Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.
Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Readers of Elantris thought they'd discovered someone special in Brandon Sanderson. Mistborn proves they were right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:19 -0400)

"Once, a hero arose to save the world. A young man with a mysterious heritage courageously challenged the darkness that strangles the land. He failed."--Cover, p. [4].

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,946,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible