I Ate The Sheriff by K. Bennett

I Ate The Sheriff

by K. Bennett

Zombie attorney, Mallory Caine, is back at work with her usual crew. With her father and herself being arrested for murder, and the end of the world at hand, life is crazy for Mallory. Mallory is full of snarky commentary while fighting the good fight. But which side is good?? A fast read with quirky characters. ( )
  LeleliaSky | Oct 24, 2015 |
I’m not into the horror genre at all. I’ve never watched any of the zombie movies or television series.

I read the first of K. Bennett’s legal zombie thrillers, Pay Me In Flesh, for review and because K. Bennett is the nom de plume of one my favorite writers and (mentors) James Scott Bell.

Mallory Caine is an LA lawyer, full of snappy retorts and an intense hunger for human brains. She was shot and killed and reanimated as a zombie. She’s in a Twelve Step program and trying to convince herself that cow brain is just as yummy as UCLA grads.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. So I picked up the latest Mallory Caine book with less trepidation.

I missed the second book, The Year of Eating Dangerously, so my only concern with I Ate The Sheriff was if I’d be able to follow the story without knowing what exactly happened just before.

Mallory’s doing well with her Zombies Anonymous meetings. Her only relapses are serial killers, so it could be argued that she’s performing a public service when she eats them.

Evil is infecting Los Angeles and much of the malevolence seems targeted at Mallory. The sheriff threatens her and tells her to leave town. She’s busy with her father’s upcoming trial and a custody case for a werewolf client.

Then the sheriff pays her a late night visit and insists she leave. He shoots her which only enrages her. When she wakes up, she’s wanted for a double homicide.

Even though the premise of a zombie lawyer in an LA full of demons, ghosts, vampires, and werewolves is over the top, the stories themselves have heart and humor. Bennett’s writing is sure and deftly shows that there is a real battle in the world today between good and evil. And like Edmund Burke said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Mallory Caine may be a zombie but she’s a good person and she proves it.

The ending is a satisfying resolution without being smarmy or cloying.

I highly recommend these books, especially to someone who loves the zombie entertainment but wants some hope as well.
  cclpad | Sep 24, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078602626X, Mass Market Paperback)

You Have The Right To Remain Dead

What's worse than killing a cop? Eating him afterwards. Which is exactly what happened to a Los Angeles County sheriff in the office of one noted Los Angeles lawyer. Now Mallory Caine, zombie at law, faces the toughest trial of her life - her own - since she's the prime suspect. Ironically, Mallory's been suppressing her undead desires in a 12-step zombie recovery group. It's her human desires that scare her. He's one hot werewolf named Steve Ravener, and he's Mallory's latest client. His ex-wife wants to keep him from seeing his kids. He needs a lawyer whose bite is worse than his bark. Needless to say, family law has never been this hairy. And with a murder charge hanging over her head, a snake goddess charming her mother, and all kinds of hell-spawn taking over L.A., Mallory's plate is full. And she's dying to take a bite.

Anyone You Crave Can And Will Be Held Against You

He's one hot werewolf named Steve "Rawhide" Ravener, and he's Mallory's latest client. His cheating wife has run off with a rival pack, and if he hopes to see their cubs again, he needs a lawyer whose bite is worse than his bark. Needless to say, family law has never been this hairy. And with a murder charge hanging over her head, a snake goddess charming her mother, and all kinds of hell-spawn taking over L.A., Mallory's plate is full. And she's dying to take a bite. . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:01 -0400)

What's worse than killing a cop? Eating him afterwards. It has happened to a Los Angeles County sheriff on Mulholland Drive and Mallory Caine, zombie at law, is the prime suspect despite the fact she's been suppressing her undead desires in a 12-step recovery group. But it's Mallory's human desires that worry her. Her newest client is a hot werewolf names Steve "Rawhide" Ravener. His wife has run off with a rival pack and if he desires to see their cubs again he needs a good lawyer whose bite is worse than his bark. Added to this are Mallory's troubles of a snake goddess charming her mother. Mallory's plate is full and she's dying to take a bite.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,340,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible