Mistletoe Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs) by Carolyn…

Mistletoe Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs) (edition 2012)

by Carolyn Brown

205515,329 (3.78)None
Member:rhonda1111
Title:Mistletoe Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs)
Authors:Carolyn Brown
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2012), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:read, Your library

Mistletoe Cowboy by Carolyn Brown
Sage Presley heads home in time for Christmas to help her grandmother out. Problem is she's left before the snow storm and in her place is a man who will take care of the cattle ranch before she returns in 3 weeks time, as per their agreement.
If he can handle the ranch she may just sell it to him. She is an artist and paints and sells most of her work in Colorado.
Creed Riley loves taking care of the ranch, they have no electricity or phone service but with propane and a wood stove they manage to prepare meals that are hearty.
They share with the chores. He always seems to arrive in the house with mistletoe in his hat and he wants a kiss.
They encounter many surprises...Loved hearing about the snowball fights, Christmas tree decorating and the baking. Hot steamy sex just adds to this book. Birthing of the snow children was wicked hilarious!
Love his version of the mistletoe and the berries. Not a typical romance book, it's so much more! This is a series but the books can be read as standalones. ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 5, 2013 |
Read in December, 2012

Read for Review (NetGalley)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 3.75

Part of my 25 Books for the Holidays for 2012

How Mistletoe Cowboy put me in the Holiday Spirit: There is nothing sexier than a Cowboy Romance during the holidays! Maybe it is that I am a Texas Gal but cowboy romances hold a special place in my heart. Throw in a snowstorm, a stray dog (and cat), flannel shirts and I am pretty much in the Christmas Spirit by page 2!

What I thought of the Characters/Story: Mistletoe Cowboy was a very much the fun kind of story that we have come to expect from Carolyn Brown. As always it is her characters that make you just fall in love and cheer them on. I liked both Sage and Creed both from the beginning and was rooting for them to fall together. I am usually not a fan of "insta-love" but during Christmas I can totally buy the shortened time frame. Something about the season screams "FALL IN LOVE" and boy did they ever. Of course I think Gran played a big role in them meeting, that wise old woman and her super smart Indian senses. This story was a great Christmas time read and I am glad it made my holiday reading list! ( )
  thehistorychic | Dec 6, 2012 |
4 STARS
Mistletoe Cowboy is the 5th book of the Spikes & Spurs series.
I like the plot line but too many love scenes and details for me. I skipped over a lot of scenes. Cute animals will still your heart.
Creed Riley has the chance to buy the Rockin' C Ranch cheaply but first thier are some conditions set by Gran Presely.
1.He has to stay at the ranch for 3 weeks taking care of the animals, while she is going to take care of her older sister. If the animals are not well taken care of she can cancel the sale.
2.Her grandaughter Sage can live on the ranch her whole life if she wants to.
3. Either party can cancel the deal after the three week period is over if they want.
Creed agreed he felt right at home when he first got thier at the ranch.
Sage is an artist who was raised by her Grandma after her parents died when she was around 5. She can't believe her Gran wants to sale the ranch. She is going to talk her out of it.
Sage just makes it home to the ranch before the roads are closed because of bad snow storm. It does take the power out at the ranch and trap them together. Sage finds her Gran has already left the ranch before she got thier and Creed was thier to take care of the animals.
Sage has never wanted to have pets. She is afraid that everyone she loves will leave her like her parents and grandfather have. Someone has dropped off a ugly dog who is having puppies soon and a cat that is going to have a litter of kittens. The dog and cat get along really well.
Sage & Creed start to get along really fast and hard for two scared of committment people.
Thier is humor,Christmas traditions,romance,cute animals and family.
I will read more from Carolyn in the near future. I was given this ebook to read in exchange for honest review from Netgalley.
10/02/2012 Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca 352 pages ( )
  rhonda1111 | Nov 8, 2012 |
Mistletoe Cowboy is the first book by Carolyn Brown I’ve read. It will definitely not be the last one. I loved this book. In fact at times, I found it to be very funny. Hopefully, I was supposed to be laughing. Ada Presley, Sage’s grandmother, and her Aunt Essie, Ada’s older sister, are so funny when they’re together.

Mistletoe Cowboy is the story of Sage Presley and Creed Riley. While this book is a part of a series, it is completely stand alone. In fact, I didn't realize it was part of a series until I was looking up information on the author. Sage is a woman who doesn't want to commit herself to anyone or have anyone commit to her. She has a problem with people leaving her. Her father died when she was two and her mother died two years later. Sage was raised by her grandmother on the Rockin' C Ranch. Creed Riley on the other hand is from a very big family. He is one of seven boys. For Creed, ranching and farming is all he knows. He wants to own his own ranch apart from his family, not that he isn't close to his family. Creed is very much a family man.

With the help of a couple of stray animals in need of food and a warm place to stay, and some magically appearing mistletoe, Sage slowly but surely changes her outlook on things.

Ada Presley decides that she needs to move to Pennsylvania to take care of her older sister, Essie. She feels it is now time to force Sage to stand on her own two feet. When Creed first stepped on the porch of Rockin' C, Ada knew he was the man to buy, run, and own the ranch; and also the man for her precious granddaughter.

A snow storm bigger than what has appeared in the canyon in years, forces Creed and Sage to spend a week alone together with no electricity. What happens seems to be almost magical. Part of the agreement with Ada is that Creed has to spend three weeks at the ranch before he can buy it. Creed has to also agree to let Sage stay on the ranch for as long as she wants to.

One thing that struck me about this book was that I felt like I could actually hear the characters’ voices and the way they sounded.

Two people who didn't want anything serious suddenly realize they do and they aren't exactly sure how to handle their feelings. One of which who doesn't really want to admit it.

To paraphrase a couple of lines from the book, "The past is gone. The future is just a dot on the horizon. Today is all we have.".

Mistletoe Cowboy is a wonderful story. I am looking forward to reading more books by Mrs. Brown. ( )
  ReadYourWrites | Oct 29, 2012 |
4.5 STARS

Great book! Creed and Sage are trapped together during the worst snow storm of the century on Sage’s small family farm. Sage tries to fight her increasing sexual attraction to Creed as he is the potential buyer of the family farm that Sage does not want to sell.

I thought the novel might drag on a bit since almost the entire story takes place on a farm where the two characters are snowed in, but this was definitely not the case. There is just enough laughter, sexual tension, and heartwarming scenes to keep it interesting.

This novel is a fun, light, heartwarming read that will be perfect to curl up with in front of a fire this fall. If you enjoy a book with hilarious dialogue, sizzling romance, and super hunky cowboys then I would definitely recommend this book.

So glad I received this book from goodread’s first reads program! ( )
  erinhill01 | Aug 2, 2012 |

Determined to get her granddaughter Sage a cowboy for Christmas, the Widow Presley chooses Creed, the man interested in purchasing her Rockin' C Ranch, and sets her clever plan in motion.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,779 books! | Top bar: Always visible