The Collected Bucko by Jeff Parker

The Collected Bucko

by Jeff Parker, Erika Moen

2012 (3) amazon (1) bicycles (1) Bisexual (1) books (1) bums (1) comics (4) cops (1) drunk (1) dummy (1) ebook (1) fight (1) graphic novel (3) graphic novels (1) hipsters (1) humor (2) jail (1) kung fu (1) lesbians (1) Portland (2) prank (1) preorder (1) rape (1) read (1) read online (1) rent (1) search (1) signed (1) webcomic (1) website (1)

Enjoyable collection of webcomic - light-weight read and the McGuffin of the murder mystery is disposed of too quickly. ( )
  MikeRhode | Feb 21, 2014 |
Reason for Reading: I just couldn't pass up the dead guy in the bathroom plot even though I was a little leary that the book might be beyond my tastes of decorum.

For me, this is one of those books that I was surprised to have enjoyed so much and also somewhat embarrased as it is not my typical fare and *not* what I would recommend to my regular readers who know that I point out issues one may have with a book's moral/indecent attributes. Well, let me say, this is the first book, I've ever reviewed that I've felt necessary to lable *adult*. Now don't get me wrong, it's not really like *that*. It's all innuendo and talk. There is bad language; it is irreverent and well just plain downright dirty in parts, nothing graphic mind you. But it is absolutely hilarious and I didn't find myself offended at all. These people were just so waaay out of my realm of experience I couldn't relate to them as real people but they were downright quirky and I know such types *do* exist in the world. I was chuckling and really had a ball. A little uncomfortable at first, but the two main characters Rich (Bucko) Richardson and Gyp(sy) are adorable and so genuine I fell for them right away no matter how misguided they were.

This book will not be for everyone and probably not for my usual blog readers but those of you who are here for my graphic novel and quirky book reviews will certainly appreciate this. While this is a print edition of a webcomic, it includes major bonus material for the fan. There is an introduction by Steve Lieber and one by Parker and Moen. There is also a running commentary at the bottom of most pages by the author/illustrator. Then there is a bonus comic on the Jugalette's story of her life and a look at the process of how a page was made; finally ending with a photo gallery.

A hilarious romp, on the wild-side, but not beyond acceptable to my tastes, even though I was a little shocked here and there. Let's say I spent quite a bit of time looking up definitions of words I hadn't a clue about and got quite an education on how the "other side" lives. Really hilarious though. Loved it! ( )
  ElizaJane | Sep 24, 2012 |
ARC provided by NetGalley

When Erika posted last year that she was about ready to start her new comic project, Bucko, I eagerly and quickly signed up for the RSS feed. I didn’t need to read the description or even know what the plot was, all I needed to know was it was Erika Moen creating something new. The fact that she was working with Jeff Parker was just an added bonus.

All Rich “Bucko” Richardson wants is to finally get a job. And maybe get a chance to talk to that one cute girl he met at that party a few days ago. And maybe have a threesome (maybe) with said girl and her roommate (hey they offered.) But things hit a bit of a snag when case of alcohol-fueled diarrhea at his job interview leads him to discover a brutally murdered body! And be accused of murder! What’s a guy to do? Well with the help of the girl (Gypsy) Bucko might, just might be able to solve the case and clear his name. Along the way they explore the wilds of Portland, Oregon and encounter steampunk Makers, Juggalos, meth girls, and more.

I know that some of you are thinking “I’ve read the webcomic, why the heck should I buy the book?” Well for starters because you need a portable version to take all of those places that you don’t have wifi access. Then because of the absolutely hilarious and fantastic forward by Steve Lieber on how Bucko came to be (and a bit about Jeff and Erika as well.) I won’t tell you what it says because you should just go ahead and buy the book, but trust me it’s worth the price. Why else should you buy it? Because of the awesome author’s commentary throughout the story, because you know you want to read the inside scoop on what went on while creating this book. Trust me, you really do.

As for the actual book I really like the story that Jeff creates. He builds the characters and adventures carefully and in just a few short pages, so that we quickly understand who Bucko is and why we should be interested in following his adventure. Jeff also helps us answer the age old question of what would you do if you needed to use the bathroom and there was a dead body around (I mean seriously who hasn’t wondered that before?) Seriously though Jeff is able to make us feel like we’re part of the story and we want to know what happens to Bucko and he sets it up so beautifully. I think one of my favorite scenes in the story though are those right at the beginning where Bucko has rushed to the job interview thinking he’s late and then realizes that it's daylight savings time and he’s early. Because let’s be honest who hasn’t done this before? Jeff captures that feeling of sheer panic and “oh crap...I’m not really late now what?” moment really well and makes us feel like we’re part of the story.

For me Erika’s artwork is one of the best things about this comic. I’ve been a fan of hers for quite some time and her artwork really works well with the humor/edginess of the story. Her line work and character design in this comic really help bring the story to live, especially the character design. I really love the juggalette gang, they’re just such awesome characters, and they remind me a lot from the Jokers in the Batman Beyond cartoon. One of my favorite aspects of Erika’s work in this collection is that many of the panels, at least early on, are charactercentric, so the backgrounds are often demphasized and all of the focus is on the characters, which is where it needs to be. To me Erika’s art style is unique, I just can’t really think of anyone else that works in the same style/manner that she does, but if I had to pick someone her line work reminds me of Lucy Knisley’s or Bryan Lee O’Malley’s work.

If you’re looking for something that’s slightly different and off kilter, but a great story then Bucko is the comic that you need to read. Seriously go and buy the book and read it. You get the comic, plus the forward, plus the introduction, plus the author’s/artist’s commentary as a bonus! You can’t beat that. And I hear that Jeff and Erika are working on the sequel and I can’t wait to see what they do with him next. 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  zzshupinga | Aug 2, 2012 |

Jeff Parkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moen, Erikamain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Discovering a dead body in an office bathroom, hungover job interviewee Rich 'Bucko' Richardson is suspected of the murder. What he thinks is a quest to find the real killer turns into a weeklong romp through the wilds of Portland, Oregon, complete with bike-mounted cover bands, steampunk Makers, Juggalos, SuicideGirls, meth heads, so much absinthe, and an entire city made of books."--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,563,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible