Mindful of Him by Hollis Hughes

Mindful of Him

by Hollis Hughes

322,001,085 (4.5)None

No tags.

After both his parents die, Rob feels completely out of sorts. Things aren't going quite the way he had imagined them. After a fight with his wife Beth, she leaves him. Rob is suddenly left with the task of trying to make sense of the what remains of his life. He decides to take a journey he had always dreamed of taking to find the source of a river he grew up near. This journey takes him to some beautiful places, and allows him to meet some wonderful people. It also allows him to think about his life, his belief, and his faith. These things can change his life into something entirely different from what it was before, if only he will let it.

This was an interesting book on a couple levels. First, there is the story itself. The idea of taking this journey he had always wanted to take was very interesting. In some ways you could taste the freedom Rob suddenly enjoyed. This book moves at a slow pace, very much resembling the slower pace Rob was experiencing traveling down the river. It's full of interesting characters as well. The people Rob meets on his way have wonderful ways of seeing the world, and they very much shape Rob's evolving world views.

The most interesting part of this book to me was the fight between Rob's intellect and his evolving world views. The main idea of this book is that a man can find God during his journeys though life. Rob was someone who relied heavily on the philosophies of so many of the great thinkers throughout history. This took him away from the basic religious beliefs he had once held though. While traveling, Rob was really forced to reevaluate all the things he held to be true. This is an interesting journey that many people will relate to. For me, I wish the book had moved a tiny bit faster, but I think this is something a lot of other people will appreciate. Overall, this book will leave you with many things to ponder in your life as well.

Book provided for review. ( )
  l_manning | Nov 8, 2012 |
I loved this book. It was very emotional and starts tugging right at the beginning. The story is one of journeys – physical, emotional, spiritual, personal. It really delves into the human existence on so many different levels.

Rob’s story is a hard one. Life goes from being normal to being turned upside down in an instant. He’s left to deal with the emotional aftermath of death, while he feels he’s alone on this journey – as he’s given up on faith – he forgets about his wife at his side. Then the unthinkable happens and his already tumultuous life is stirred into a frenzy yet again! This time he set out for a journey all alone – no one to turn to and nothing to have faith in.

In his journey he meets a few people who share their lives with him, but yet their influence doesn’t do much to lighten the emotional load he’s carrying with him. The further he travels the more alone he feels. His mind is in turmoil while making his trip. He often questions the purpose of life, his actions, fate, free will, spirituality, and so much more. While there is a physical goal for this journey it’s about so much more than just making it to the end point.

I know I’ve been through a phase in life where I questioned religion, not so much questioned my beliefs, but rather questioned which path is the right one. So while my journey wasn’t quite like Rob’s I could relate to it so well.

It was a really good story, and despite the erratic changes in the narrator’s point of view (1st person to 3rd) I still have to say this was an amazing book. I couldn’t wait to see how it ended, but I didn’t want to put it down! ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Aug 4, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,283,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible