Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible by Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible (2012)

by Tim Gunn

Other authors: Ada Calhoun

A fun read, but not a lot of depth. I liked it because it was like having a long chat with Tim Gunn! ( )
  bookweaver | Jul 15, 2015 |
I read this book in bits and pieces over a period of time that worked out well since each chapter covered a different piece of clothing. Nothing was gone into huge detail but there were numerous footnotes and several other books were mentioned that would cover a certain article of clothing in much greater detail. Bits of fashion advice were sprinkled throughout the book and neat tidbits of history as well. A good gift book for someone fashion forward to see the roots of what they love so much. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
An enjoyable read, which I got through in a weekend! It was a nice balance of information, humor and useful advice for dressing yourself. However, I was frequently frustrated by the choice of pictures. I'd rather see a picture of an older or more obscure garment being discussed, than the the more-well known images that were found throughout. I know what a flip-flop looks like, thank you very much! ( )
  JessieP73 | Apr 6, 2013 |
The fashion history is interesting, and the illustrations are fun, and the fashion advice is useful, but the best part is Tim Gunn's random asides and reminiscences. The best was when he said something like "one of my favorite parts of Pee Wee's Big Adventure is..." and I was like, ONE of your favorite parts? You have multiple favorite parts of Pee Wee's Big Adventure?? Tim Gunn you are adorable. ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |
It's a bit of fluff for the most part. There are some good notions for how to dress, but mostly I read it because it's Tim Gunn, and there's no reason not to read it if you are interested in fashion even the least little bit beyond "what will I wear today?" ( )
  Tonestaple | Jan 26, 2013 |

Tim Gunnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Calhoun, Adasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"From a bestselling fashion guru--a fascinating, meticulously researched history of Western fashion covering every topic from the history of the high heel to the origin of blue jeans.America's favorite fashion expert, New York Times bestselling author, beloved mentor on Project Runway, and a frequent guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Dr. Oz, The Biggest Loser, and others--Tim Gunn is also the chief creative officer of Liz Claiborne and a former faculty member and chair of fashion design at Parsons' New School for Design. Now he pours this undeniably impressive fashion knowledge into this category-killing tome, Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible. From togas to Crocs, beloved fashion guru Tim Gunn presents the fascinating and exhaustive history of every item of clothing and accessory ever worn. In his new, authoritative, witty Fashion Bible, he traces the origins of everything in your closet from its earliest incarnation to the present day, covering everything from the cultural history of the garment to current fads. From suits to sportswear, Gunn recounts the contributions made by revolutionary designers and surveys Western fashion, educating, enlightening, and entertaining us all! Marked by Tim's personable tone, this comprehensive volume not only informs, but reminds us that fashion is ultimately about innovation and fun!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,694,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible