Blood Brothers in Louisbourg: A Novel by…

Blood Brothers in Louisbourg: A Novel

by Philip Roy

711,138,814 (4.67)None

My children and I have now read ALL of Philip Roy’s books (often more than once!), and Blood Brothers in Louisbourg, as a work of historical fiction, is definitely a fascinating departure from his Submarine Outlaw adventure series. We had no idea Roy had written this novel until we checked out the author’s website (philiproy.ca). Well, we have always been impressed by his adventure series, but we were really impressed from beginning to end of this novel, especially in terms of how Roy interweaves his plot line so seamlessly with historical accuracy. It was thoughtfully and carefully crafted, and I have to say, this novel really reflects Roy’s versatility, scope, breadth, and depth as a writer. Two-Feathers is one of the most heroic characters we've encountered in YA literature yet. And his half-brother, Jacques, is also quite compelling as a character. Roy's beautifully rendered account of Two-Feathers and Jacques, and their respective struggles, is interesting, insightful, and philosophical. This novel was written with sensitivity and intelligence, and also it offers tremendous insight into what makes us human. When looking at Roy’s considerable repertoire, I would have to say that Blood Brothers in Louisbourg deserves special accolades for its sheer artistry. I would recommend this book to anyone—young or old. It’s a beautiful story, really. My kids would agree. ( )
  Isabella2 | Mar 15, 2013 |
"Evocative detail, lyrical language and good pacing make this novel a winner....Highly Recommended."

"This is exceptional historical fiction. The writing is intricate and beautifully-crafted. The author delves deeply into the time period, making it come to life for readers. The characters are well-developed, and the book can be understood on many levels. It leaves the reader with much to think about...."

Philip Roy’s young adult novel, Blood Brothers In Louisbourg (CBU Press), is a swiftly told, exciting, informative read....Roy writes economically but with sensitivity and a strong visual sense....Roy has a firm grasp of the history and culture of his setting...the novel has an immediacy and freshness that never threatens to bog down his story....Roy’s novel is remarkably entertaining for any reader, and would make a great read...."

"Roy has created a rich and vivid historical drama that readers will undoubtedly enjoy becoming invested in....it is a noteworthy young adult offering that brings our history to life in a way that will capture the imagination of its readers and invite discussion and further interest...."

As the son of an officer, Jacques was expected to pursue a career in the military. In the spring of 1744, at the age of fifteen, Jacques and his father leave France for Louisbourg, the French capital of Île Royale, where Jacques would learn the military arts – a far cry from his books and music and the comforts of his mother’s home.
In the Acadian forests that surround the French fortress of Louisbourg, a young Mi’kmaw man named Two-feathers watches the comings and goings of soldiers and citizens whose strange ways are a constant source of wonder. Two-feathers is hoping to find his father who, he has been told, is an important man among the French – they have never met.
Jacques’ life in Louisbourg is a curious mixture of military duties in the unfamiliar and harsh environment, and frequent visits to the Governor’s apartments where he is teaching the beautiful young daughter of a visiting merchant to play the violoncello.
From his discreet camp outside the walls of the fortress, Two-feathers lives off the land and watches the French, believing that he will know his father when he sees him. At night, he moves silently about the city, including the apartments of the Governor, where he befriends a beautiful young woman. The story culminates in the violent siege of Louisbourg in 1745.

In 1744, 15-year old Jacques and his father leave France for Louisbourg, where Jacques is to learn the military arts. In the Acadian forests that surround the French fortress, a young Mi'kmaw man named Two-feathers watches the comings and goings of soldiers and citizens, hoping to find the father he has never met. The two young men will collide during the violent siege by British forces in 1745.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,251,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible