Living in Harmony by Mary Ellis

Living in Harmony

by Mary Ellis

The Just For Fun Challenge ended last year but we were encouraged to read reading one book that has been on the TBR shelf for a long time without doing a review. I still rated this book though and I loved it. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jan 27, 2016 |
I received a copy to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed here are my own.

All is not harmonious in Harmony Main for the main characters in this story. When Amy and Nora King lose their parents in a house fire, their younger siblings go to live with relatives and they go with Amy’s future husband to Harmony, Maine. John’s brother is the minister in Harmony. He decides that Amy and John need to wait a while so that Amy can properly grieve her parent’s death. Things are so different in Harmony. They are a stricter community. Amy is willing to try to fit in. Nora on the other hand has difficulty. Their clothes are too bright so they must make new ones to fit in with the drab colors of their new community. Where they would have had singings and buggy rides while courting, that is all banned in this community. For Nora it mean no Rumspringa, which is also banned. I applaud Amy for trying so hard to fit in to her new community. I also applaud her trying to help Sally, the minister’s wife who doesn’t feel like she fits in with the other women. Nora, I wanted to smack her for acting like a spoiled brat. When John’s younger brother Elam, the rebellious one shows up, he takes Nora down that path as well. Amy learns that she has an aunt who was shunned leaving nearby. She makes plans to meet with her and learns that is also forbidden. Will she follow the rules or follow her heart? Will Nora ever settle down and stop causing so much trouble? Will John and Amy finally get married? The answers to these questions are waiting for you in the book.

I have to say the only character I really had a hard time liking was John. He came across as too strong and almost unforgiving in some of the things he did. However, like all of her other books, I really enjoyed this and would definitely recommend it to those who love reading Amish Fiction. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jul 13, 2015 |
Mary Ellis has captured Amish life in Maine. Her description of the fictional Maine town of Harmony makes me long to travel to Maine again.

Amy and Nora's parents died in a fire and now Amy and Nora have moved with Amy's fiancé to Harmony, Maine. It is a totally different life than what they experienced in Pennsylvania and all three must learn the new and very restrictive Ordnung of their new community. Nora is have a very difficult time adjusting and Amy's fiancé, John, finds himself showing more and more anger toward Nora. In the meantime, Nora finds herself attracted to John's black sheep brother, much to the ire of John and the chagrin of her sister. ( )
  wearylibrarian | May 26, 2013 |

Living in Harmony is the first book in bestselling author Mary Ellis's New Beginnings series. It's about fresh starts and love...and how faith in God and His perfect plan for our lives provides us with the peace and joy we desire.

Amy King--young, engaged, and Amish--faces difficult challenges in her life when she suddenly loses both of her parents in a house fire. Her fiancé, John Detweiler, persuades her and her sister Nora to leave Lancaster County and make a new beginning with him in Harmony, Maine, where he has relatives who can help the women in their time of need.

John's brother Thomas and sister-in-law Sally readily open their home to the three newcomers. Wise beyond his years, Thomas, a minister in the district, refuses to marry Amy and John upon their arrival, suggesting instead a period of adjustment and counseling. During this time Amy discovers an aunt who was shunned. She wishes to reconnect with her, but this puts a strain on her relationship with John.

Can John and Amy find a way to live in happily in Harmony before making a lifetime commitment to one another?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

"Amy King--young, engaged, and Amish--faces difficult challenges in her life when she suddenly loses both of her parents in unexpected tragedy. Amy's fiance, John Detweiler, persuades her and her sister Nora to leave Lancaster County and make a new beginning with him in Harmony, Maine, where he has relatives who will help them. John's brother Thomas and sister-in-law Sally readily open their home to the newcomers. Wise beyond his years, Thomas, a minister in the district, refuses to marry Amy and John upon their arrival, suggesting instead a period of adjustment. While trying to assimilate into the ultraconservative district, Amy discovers an aunt who was shunned. Amy wants to reconnect with her, but John worries that the woman's tarnished reputation will refelct badly on his beloved bride-to-be. Can John and Amy find a way to overcome problems in their relationship and live happily in Harmony before making a lifetime commitment to each other?"--P. [2] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,145,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible