The Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de…

The Cats of Tanglewood Forest (2013)

by Charles de Lint

Other authors: Charles Vess (Illustrator)

Series: Circle of Cats (2)

Seven Wild Sisters, a Modern Fairy Tale by Charles de Lint (flying_monkeys)
    flying_monkeys: Seven Wild Sisters is a full-color, illustrated companion novel to The Cats of Tanglewood Forest.

This wonderful fantasy picture book tells the story of young girl named Lillian who turns into a cat, and her adventures and lessons as she learns about making choices in life, and about facing consequences for her words and actions. The book encourages student imagination and carries important messages about human behavior, loyalty, friendship, and trust. The book also encourages the respect of nature and highlights the beauty and honor of love.
  Kathrin.McCoy | Nov 9, 2017 |
Lillian is a girl who lives in the forested mountains in an unnamed area of America in an unspecified time period, which in my mind I picture as the early years of the 20th century. She lives with her beloved aunt. One day, while wandering in the woods, she is bitten by a snake and dies. But then comes the magic of the cats, who bring her to life... but as a kitten, not a girl. And thus begins Lillian's quest to bet back in her own body, and also have the world set right again. She meets fantastical creatures, as well as a large number of talking animals along the way, most of them friendly, a few of them not.

Personally, I would have liked the story a bit more focused, with each element having an ultimate point in the end. But some of the characters and events just existed to make an entertaining segment of the tale, without really being essential to it.

The book is also lavishly and beautifully illustrated. I don't care for the artist's style in portraying his human characters, but the forest, the animals, and the fantasy creatures are all exquisite. ( )
  fingerpost | Nov 29, 2016 |
The Cats of Tanglewood Forest by Charles de Lint and illustrated by Charles Vess is an updating and expansion of their A Circle of Cats, and is a companion piece to Seven Wild Sisters.

Lillian Kindred saves the life of her aunt but pays the ultimate price by being bit by a poisonous snake. Too surprised to die outright, her spirit lingers long enough to be transformed by the King of Cats into a calico kitten.

Much of the book is Lillian's quest to return to normal. Having read Seven Wild Sisters first, I knew that she would. I also knew that however she did it, would have a huge and fundamental effect on her. So the fun for me was in seeing what she did to get her old life back. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 4, 2015 |
A charming, magical story. Beautifully illustrated and designed. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Wild cats sharing dreams. A quest to restore oneself to who they really are - once they figure out who that truly is. Time travel / parallel worlds. An almost perfect mixture of folklore and fairy tales. What's NOT to love about this book?

I recommend reading The Cats of Tanglewood Forest first, then reading its sequel/companion novel, Seven Wild Sisters.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Feb 17, 2015 |

Charles de Lintprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vess, CharlesIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fro my two best gals: MaryAnn and Clare -Charles de Lint
For Miso (I miss you, buddy) and June, who peeked through the trees and saw the very first circle of cats -Charles Vess
And for Joe Monti, who thought a longer story was a good idea
Once there was a forest of hickory and beech, sprucy-pine, birch and oak.

Twelve-year-old Lillian, an orphan who loves roaming the woods looking for fairies when her chores are done, is bitten by a deadly snake and saved through the magical forest creatures in this expansion on the author's and illustrator's previous work, A circle of cats.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,474,165 books! | Top bar: Always visible