The Infinity Gauntlet by Jim Starlin

The Infinity Gauntlet

by Jim Starlin (Writer), Ron Lim (Illustrator), George Perez (Illustrator)

A re-read for me, but it has been a while and I wanted to see how the original Infinity Gauntlet story stands up against the MCU version. While there are obvious differences, I think both The Infinity Gauntlet and Avengers: Infinity War both stand up very well for their respective mediums. Also, given that The Infinity Gauntlet was published almost 30 years ago (how did that happen?!), I was pleasantly surprised that it still held up as well. It's also fun now to try to anticipate what is going to happen in the next movie based on the events that have been occurring in the MCU films. It's also interesting to see how the groundwork was laid for future events in the Marvel Comic Universe, even if they didn't know at the time that this story was going to have such long lasting affects. ( )
  tapestry100 | Jun 18, 2018 |
This was a fun one. I loved seeing all of the characters from both Earth and the galaxy. It's a great intro to them if you aren't familiar. Action-packed, funny, smart and just plain fun. Will be interested to see how they handle the movie. ( )
  ctkjs | Jan 3, 2018 |
I loved the huge cast of characters in this and the insight into Thanos, but it seemed kind of lame that in the end it comes down to "snatching" the gauntlet away from the wearer, it just seems too easy. Also it seemed that even though Adam could hide his presence from Nebula, there were 3 people standing around thinking about his presence, so I guess he was blocking her from seeing this in their minds as well?

I did like Mephisto and how he talked Thanos into evening the playing field to impress Death. It allowed from superhero fighting action to happen, rather than him just snapping his fingers and ending it in a single frame. I definitely didn't understand why Gamora and Pip had to land on Earth and then change into themselves. Did love him being chased around by the Minotaur in Dr. Strange's mansion. ( )
  ragwaine | May 24, 2017 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com by express permission of this reviewer   Synopsis Thanos, a super villain, gets a hold of all 6 of the Infinity Gems and becomes the new god of the universe as we know it. And only Adam Warlock is Super Enough to possibly stand against him.   My Thoughts First off, I know this isn't manga. But I'm lumping all comics, graphic novels and manga into Manga Monday. Besides, Graphic Novel Monday doesn't really roll off the tongue you know?   I not only read the actual graphic novel which is comprised of the Infinity Gauntlet issues 1-6, but also all the crossovers and histories. So in total this was about 47 comics instead of just 6.   While I understand that this is a comic aimed at the teen and younger crowd and that hyperbole is the Word of the Day in comics, several things just didn't make sense.   The Infinity Gem supposedly grants all power, wisdom, knowledge, etc, etc to its holder. But my goodness, it really doesn't. It is limited by the wearer's limitations, which makes its power pointless. As Thanos finds out. After killing half the multiverse, taking down the most powerful entities that ever existed and humbling Earth's Heroes, he is defeated and the Gauntlet taken by Adam Warlock. Who nobody trusts but is now so powerful that the Heroes don't really want to fight him. And thus it ends. Thanos is back to normal, the whole universe restored by Warlock, the Infinity Gauntlet still exists and nothing is truly resolved.   I'm just too old for comics. The level of Suspension of Belief needed is more than I can muster. I'm still going to read the next two Sagas, The Infinity War and The Infinity Crisis. Both have 50'ish comics associated with them, so it'll be a slow read, even more than this.   Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Author & Artist: Various " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Overall a pretty lackluster tale. Simply another example of bad guys being incredibly stupid. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |

Starlin, JimWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lim, RonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Perez, GeorgeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
There can be no denying it: You are supreme.
Collection of the six issues of the Infinity Gauntlet.

For the dark Titan, Thanos, the Infinity Gauntlet was the Holy Grail, the ultimate prize to be coveted above all else. With it came omnipotence: the absolute control of all aspects of time, space, power, reality, the mind and the soul. The gaining of supreme might meant the beginning of a black nightmare for the entire universe. Now, on the edge of Armageddon and led by the mysterious Adam Warlock, Earth's super heroes join in a desperate attempt to thwart this nihilistic god's insane plunge into galactic self-destruction. Should the heroes fail, the astral gods of the universe wait to step into the fray. But in such an awesome cosmic conflict will anyone prevail? Will anyone survive? Collects Infinity Gauntlet #1-6.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:00 -0400)

The few superheroes remaining after Thanos destroys half the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet stand with the cosmic forces of space and time, love and hate, and order and chaos in an effort to save what is left of the Earth, but it will take a nearly-forgotten hero from another era to strip Thanos of power.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,269,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible