Devil in the Dollhouse by Richard Kadrey

Devil in the Dollhouse

by Richard Kadrey

Pardon me while I geek the fuck out...

*flails around like the T-1000 in an industrial-sized smelting pot*

Fuck yeah! This! This is why I love the Sandman Slim series. Yes, the third book did not live up to my expectations, but this one went back to what made the series fun to begin with. Action for days. Twists around every corner. Vulgar, sarcastic dialogue and narration. And I'm actually excited for the next book, which I wasn't after finishing Aloha From Hell. To top it all off, I realized why I disliked the last book as much as I did. Too many feels. Too many questions. And, of course, it took Stark over half the fucking book to make it to Hell. I'm down with character development, but not an entire book of it. The action in AFH was too little, and the drama was too much. What should have been fun urban fantasy turned into some weird amalgamation of literary fiction meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Devil in the Dollhouse fixed all that.

Narrator MacLeod Andrews is as fantastic as ever here. I highly recommend this series on audio book.

In summation: If you disliked Aloha as much as I did, don't give up on the series yet. This novella has more action and story than the entirety of the last novel-length venture. So, so looking forward to Devil Said Bang now.

Geek-gasm over. I think I need a towel. ( )
  Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
I picked up Sandman Slim after absolutely adoring another one of Kadrey's novels, Butcher Bird, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. While different from Butcher Bird, Kadrey still makes use of his awesome writing skills, and describes for us the world as it is, or at least as he or maybe better yet, as Sandman Slim sees it. It's a quirky, action packed novel for those of us who can't get enough of the horror genera, but isn't so off-putting that someone who isn't so into horror wouldn't get a kick out of it. As always, I love Kadrey's humanization of both The Devil and angels and demons, and how everything is so gritty. The language and attitudes of the characters fit perfectly and I don't think I've stuck with a series as long as I have with the Sandman Slim books. No holds barred in this series. There are times (as in a lot of books) where the narration drags a little, but it in no way takes away from the epicness that is Sandman Slim. This series has everything - angels, demons, revenants, vampires, and whatever else you can think of, all wrapped up in an ugly little package of awesomeness. ( )
  morgtini | Feb 25, 2014 |
A post-Aloha from Hell, pre-Devil Said Bang interlude, complete with haunted house. No one ever said making people love you would be easy... good thing Stark's not in the market for hearts & flowers.

Not sure how well this would stand alone, but when you're familiar with all the players, it's a great lunch-hour read. ( )
  SunnySD | Aug 18, 2013 |
A quick, fun little short in between books three and four in the series. Don't read it unless you've gotten at least that far; it will make no sense on its own. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Jul 22, 2013 |
Sandwiched between Aloha from Hell and The Devil Said Bang, this Sandman Slim short covers his first few days as the new Lucifer. It's obvious he's not happy about his new role.

Here's what he has to say on the matter, "Hi. I'm the Devil. No, seriously. I used to be James Stark or sometimes Sandman Slim, but then the Lucifer 1.0 pissed off back to Heaven and stuck me running Hell. I thought that was the worst thing that ever happened to me. That was three days ago. Today things got worse."

If you're not reading Richard Kadrey, you are really missing out. Some of my most enjoyable reading moments over the last few years have been with a Kadrey book. It started, for me, with Butcher Bird, one of my favorite reads from the last five years, and now with the Sandman Slim series.

"Run like a zebra at a waterhole and a pride of lions just showed up with ketchup and silverware." Yes, run to your local book-seller or online merchant and get started with the first in this wonderful series, Sandman Slim. Just remember, I told you to do it. You can thank me later. ( )
  FrankErrington | May 7, 2013 |
The Unimog bounces down a shattered freeway that looks like a set from Crackhead Godzilla Goes on a Bender and Fucks up Everything.
There are just as many assholes in Heaven as there are in Hell. The only difference is the ones in Hell aren’t slick enough to hide it.

James Stark, a.k.a. Sandman Slim, has a new job, but being the new Lucifer in town gives fresh meaning to the word "Hell." Especially when he hears of hideous massacres near a haunted fortress out on Hell's frontier.

As far as Stark's concerned, the more dead Hellions, the better, but he still has to prove that no one screws with Sandman Slim. And facing creatures so terrible even Hell does not want them is no cakewalk, even for Lucifer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,609,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible