The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson

The Summer Prince

by Alaya Dawn Johnson

I wanted to love The Summer Prince, I wanted it to be the next book I shared with anyone who would listen to me, but alas, my expectations were too high. This isn’t to say that the book is terrible, on the contrary I think the book is wonderfully written and I think that Alaya Dawn Johnson does a great job bringing a post-apocalyptic, matriarchal society to life. Yet, there was something missing - or perhaps, there was too much going on.

The world building was excellent! I loved that she was able to create a world without going into extensive details, yet making it real enough that it seemed to pop out of the page and take on a life of its own. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic world in what use to be Brazil. Women rule the territory and the citizen of Palmares Três live in relative harmony, in a high tech city that is also steeped in tradition. They live prolonged lives which means that anyone below thirty is on par with teens in modern society. The only hard part in the world building was slang. It took me a little while to get use to the way June spoke.

Though ruled by a queen, every few years they elect a male leader - the Summer Prince - to rule for a year alongside the queen. The prince is selected by the people and at the end of the Summer Prince’s reign he is sacrificed. It’s rather gruesome and some of the history was lost to me in the beginning, but by the end of the book it all came together.

I absolutely enjoyed Alaya’s writing. June was a great character to read. She was headstrong, sassy and lived for nothing else but her art. She was also your typical rebellious waka (young person). The one thing I didn’t get about the story was the awkward love triangle. Enki - the Summer Prince - is in love with Gil (June’s best friend), but June is in love with Enki and there are times where he showers her with affection. It’s all quite confusing and in a way it cheapened the love story for me. It seemed at times that the love triangle was needed to move things along which I wish wasn’t the case.

All that aside, the characters were vibrant. There is a lot of politics addressed in the story but it is vital to the plot, I did wish this was fleshed out a bit more, but overall it was sufficient. I absolutely loved the ending and while it wasn’t entirely a happy ending, it was a good one.

Overall it really was a good book, and I really did enjoy it, so I’m not exactly sure why I couldn’t LOVE it. Perhaps it was the awkward love triangle - I’ve reached my quota on love triangles in YA books - or perhaps I wanted to understand the politics a bit more; I don’t know. However, I would recommend it for anyone looking for a quick post-apocalyptic/dystopian read.

- See more at: http://shanellareads.tumblr.com/ ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
This book made me go "That was some fucking weird shit!" and point to the book when I finished it. While alone in the tub. It was that... that... How about this: You want to feel some crazy shit? Read this. Read this when you don't need something to make you feel good. Read this when you want a whole different world. ( )
  dathyni | Aug 5, 2016 |
The book is interesting but I feel like it takes June too long to realize what's going on. June just feels too childish for most of the book. The details are interesting though and the description of the end of the story felt powerful and moving to me. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
With grace and precision, The Summer Prince walks the line between literary lyricism and good old-fashioned science fiction storytelling. Johnson (you might know her from the charming Zephyr Hollis series, about a "vampire suffragette" in Jazz Age New York) has created a city that lives and breathes on the page, its samba rhythms and sea breezes balanced by algae stink and rusting spiderbots.
added by karenb | editNPR, Petra Mayer (Mar 7, 2013)

An art project, a rebellion and a sacrifice make up this nuanced, original cyberpunk adventure.
added by karenb | editKirkus Reviews (Jan 16, 2013)

Alaya Dawn Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Falco, PhilCover art & designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falco, PhilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frost, MichaelCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lauren and Alexis, my Johnson sisters and ultimate travel partners. Let's discover the world together, balneários and all.
When I was eight, my papai took me to the park to watch a king die.

A heart-stopping story of love, death, technology, and art set amid the tropics of a futuristic Brazil.

The lush city of Palmares Tres shimmers with tech and tradition, with screaming gossip casters and practiced politicians. In the midst of this vibrant metropolis, June Costa creates art that's sure to make her legendary. But her dreams of fame become something more when she meets Enki, the bold new Summer King. The whole city falls in love with him (including June's best friend, Gil). But June sees more to Enki than amber eyes and a lethal samba. She sees a fellow artist.

Together, June and Enki will stage explosive, dramatic projects that Palmares Tres will never forget. They will add fuel to a growing rebellion against the government's strict limits on new tech. And June will fall deeply, unfortunately in love with Enki. Because like all Summer Kings before him, Enki is destined to die.

Pulsing with the beat of futuristic Brazil, burning with the passions of its characters, and overflowing with ideas, this fiery novel will leave you eager for more from Alaya Dawn Johnson.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:52 -0400)

In a Brazil of the distant future, June Costa falls in love with Enki, a fellow artist and rebel against the strict limits of the legendary pyramid city of Palmares Tr?es' matriarchal government, knowing that, like all Summer Kings before him, Enki is destined to die.… (more)

Alaya Dawn Johnson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,138,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible