Blood's Pride by Evie Manieri
962125,712 (3)1

A subjugated people, the oppressors and a third people on the fence. It all comes to a head when the balance finally starts to topple. Vision inducing elixirs and telekinesis mixed in with a fantasy backdrop. Enjoyable read, and yes I gave it 5 stars as the other reviewer said it would get, lol. Yes, was hard to keep in mind who was who to begin with but then if you just go with the flow it usually becomes clear, and it did. ( )
  libgirl69 | Jun 28, 2015 |
Disclaimer: Received this from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Rating: 2.5 stars. It was better than okay, but I don't have a strong enough sense of "like" to fully commit to the 3 stars "I liked it!" rating.

A little quote to start this off, from one of my favorite movies, The Princess Bride:
Grandfather: "Does it have action? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, True Love, miracles!"
Grandson:"Doesn't sound too bad; I'll try and stay awake."

In this case, both the grandfather and the grandson would be correct. This book dragged for me.

The cover is enticing. You see "the Mongrel", King Jachad of the Nomas, and one of the flying mounts of the Norlanders, a triffon soaring above them. It really sets you up for a good, epic fantasy tale. So why the lukewarm rating?

It's hard to pinpoint it. Obviously reviews are very subjective; things that work for others may not work for me and vice versa.

There is SO much going on in this book. You have the Norlanders aka the Dead Ones, the Shadari, the Nomas, key players, little jerkwads, pissing contests among the soldiers, etc. and a whole bunch of history that just...didn't come together very well for me. That's not to say that there isn't a story line there, it's just that with the POV switching every few moments I thought it felt incredibly disjointed. You have these relationships that could be explored a bit more, but instead you get snatches of feelings or conversations here and there.

There isn't a big aha! reveal moment or anything that feels quite conclusive. However, that is not to say that the book didn't end. It did and with room for a sequel or two. And I did find the personalities of the characters well-developed. I had instant loathing from single conversations, an intense dislike for another, mediocre "meh" emotions towards one of the Norlanders, and a moment or two of absolute rage where I wanted to strangle or slap a character.

The tale continues in the next book, "Fortune's Blight" - and that alone should tell you who the next tale is about. However, I thought this first book fell short of its title and the character it should have focused around. She was the target as the antagonist, but you only ever see her in snippets, and all of those snippets are wrathful, sneering, or jaded and all lack explanation.

Despite my lukewarm reaction, I have a feeling that this will get 5 star reviews from people who adore everything that tries to be epic fantasy. There is action and heartbreak (I disliked that kid, Dramash, but at the same time pitied him) and sword fights and vengeance.

Thank you very much, TOR, for the read! ( )
  a_tiffyfit | Sep 21, 2013 |

A generation has passed since the Norlanders' great ships bore down on Shadar, and the Dead Ones slashed and burned the city into submission, enslaving the Shadari people. Now the Norlander governor is dying and, as his three alienated children struggle against the crushing isolation of their lives, the Shadari rebels spot their opening and summon the Mongrel, a mysterious mercenary warrior who has never yet lost a battle. But her terms are unsettling: she will name her price only after the Norlanders have been defeated. A single question is left for the Shadari: is there any price too high for freedom?

Two decades after being forced into slavery by seafaring Norlander invaders, a small faction of Shadari rebels hires the infamous mercenary Mongrel to assist their uprising, unaware that her ties to the region render her a volatile ally with an agenda of her own.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible