While It Lasts by Abbi Glines

While It Lasts

by Abbi Glines

Since I read book four, Amanda's and Preston's story first from the series, I had no idea that Cage was also a playboy or a man whore too as they were so cheekily referred to.

I have some questions here. What the heck is wrong with me? Why do I keep finding myself rooting for these shameless players to get the girl and why do I keep falling in love with their characters? Either I need help or Abbi Glines is just that good at writing flawed but still lovable characters. I think I will go with the latter.

I loved Eva, she's sweet, innocent, but not annoyingly so. I was anxious for her and Cage to finally realize their crazy about each other and just give in to their feelings already. The story within this surprising love story was compelling and profound. Glines never disappoints. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 22, 2016 |
Cage's story was great! Another wonderfully written story for the Seabreeze series. Highly recommend it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |
2.5-3 STARS

It was okay. It didn't stand off or brought up many feels, it was just typical.

My only reactions were a twitch of a lip or a frown here and there, *sigh* I do not know if I'm loosing my hype or these NA books are just all the same.

I used to love my NA fix but gotta say that this one was not really dissatisfied me and a bit disappointed me. ( )
  Leila.Khouane | Sep 2, 2015 |
Older YA for language and sexual content)

(My thoughts, with possible SPOILERS. Definitely swearing)

Well, crap. The prologue, and I'm already trying to keep the tears at bay. Just another reminder why Ms Glines is one of my fav authors. Ever. Plus, who can go wrong with Tammara Webber, Elizabeth Reyes and Liz Reinhardt, as critique partners?

So here he is, our bad boy, Cage, him of the pierced nipple and insolent thoughts:
"........the fucking ridiculously perfect package in front of me. Damn. May
be I should have come out to the country more often. I didn’t realize they grew girls like this out here."

Despite his cocky attitude and love-em-and-leave-em lady killer ways, (yes, he is a panty dropping player) he falls for the one girl he shouldn't even be looking at. His attraction to her makes him vulnerable and like many reformed bad boys he doesn't feel that he is good enough for her.

This is a sequel, so we’ve met Cage before and Ms Glines does NOT disappoint. She has carried through with the traits of Cage's personality that made us love him in Because of Low. She's kept him exactly as he was portrayed then: loyal, protective, alpha-male.....

Eva is the quintessential, innocent “country" gal. She has known deep loss at her young age, is dependent on her loved ones, sheltered and spoilt, oftentimes brutish, but comes around when she needed to. Cage brings long-overdue smiles to her face and puts butterflies in her tummy. " ......
. I forced myself not to continue gawking at him......"
She's befuddled by how much she is drawn to him.

The attraction is instantaneous and tangible. The relationship progresses speedily, typical of young adults all over the world. Lots of uneasiness stemming from misunderstandings, jealousy, etc. The intimate scenes between the H and h are believably, passionately, provocative. I don't recall ever reading a more accurate scene depicting the thoughts, words and actions of a young woman, who is giving herself for the first time to the boy she loves and that of a young man, with all his experience between the sheets, who wavers between his needs, protecting her from pain and making her first time as perfectly memorable as possible. A combination of sweet and naughty LOL.

He's possessive: "....... And Krit, this is Eva, stay the fuck away,” Cage said in way of introduction....."

He's jealous: " “I may beat his ass just because of the w
ay you’re looking at him,” Cage growled beside me."

He loves her like all us gals want to be loved: "................and I couldn’t hold back the words hammering in my head with each beat of my heart. “I love you.”........."

A cute, sexy read. Loved catching up with some characters from "Because of Low”. Do I see Jeremy's story coming next????
  BeegPanda | Aug 2, 2015 |
As I mentioned in my reviews for Breathe and Because of Low, I had been boycotting books by this author until recently. I hoped that maybe I had unfairly judged Abbi Glines and her books. I figured out with Breathe that I wasn't wrong. And I figured out that Because of Low followed the same pattern of book badness. Still, I thought that maybe I hated Because of Low so much because it featured a more misogynistic male lead. I thought that maybe womanizing Cage would be a bit more compassionate and less of a hate-filled horror show.

I was wrong.

They say that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I don't think that fully covers it. This book inspired me to re-define insanity:

Insanity, n.: reading book after book by a particular author and expecting to make it through one without some level of degrading comments toward a particular gender, biological sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, level of ability, class, etc.

In other words, this book is so degrading toward women that I seriously started to worry about all the hate being shared. What if this sort of writing inspires more internalized misogyny? How does that help anyone? There is some serious hate going on toward Eva and all female characters. For example, the continued usage of the term "female" or "females" to degrade any woman in the book. It is used specifically and generally. No similar usage of "male" or "males" exists. What's so bad about "female"/"females"? It's a scientific term that reduces an organism down to sex. It dehumanizes women by classifying them only by their reproductive organs, it excludes the trans community and those who are not biologically female, and is used solely as a way to speak negatively about one or more female characters. There's also the grammatical faux pas of using female as a noun; it's an adjective. That's why it is 100% cool for me to say "female characters" and 0% okay for a writer to say things like "with the females"--which was actually used in this particular novel.

Cage, who I semi-respected in Because of Low, is a misogynist in this book. He makes his first ignorant observation on the tenth page because she doesn't respond positively to his flirting. I don't know why this kind of behavior is presented as acceptable for a male love interest to exhibit, but it really isn't. If a guy treats you like crap in the real world, get away from him. He's a bad dude. And if he hangs out with a group of extreme misogynists and does not call them out on it, get away from him. Quickly. This sort of thing isn't sexy behavior. He doesn't respect you, he hates you.

Eva was okay. She was a bit judgmental towards all other women her age. Her cruelty toward her female friends was appalling--even in the instances where it was exhibited solely through the narration.

There was very little respect for her personal issues that resulted from the loss of her ex-fiancé. Her grieving and behavior was presented like most of the other mental health issues that Glines tackles: like it's a character flaw. That still bothers me. And it should bother others. Any writer who suggests things like depression, grief, anxiety, trauma, suicide, drug use, alcoholism, etc. are simply signs of personal weakness is promoting ignorance and stigma. That makes struggling with these issues harder on the real patients who have them.

I did have a least favorite minor character. Eva's ex-fiancé's mother, who is also the mother of Eva's best friend, was condescending and I could not sympathize with this woman. She is so self-serving. She tears the relationship between Eva and Cage apart, which I would have supported if it had been based on legitimate factors--not Cage being poor and having a DUI. (Poor-shaming behavior is another thing I've come to expect in these books.) It strained not only Eva and Cage's relationship, but the relationships that Eva has with other individuals.

The writing in the book is horrible. Aside from the continued grammatical issues and the choice of uneducated rural phrasing, there are fact issues in this book that I would think an NCAA fan would have picked up on; especially one who is an SEC sports fan. The premise of the story is that Cage is on Eva's dad's farm as punishment from being picked up on a DUI. Who bailed him out? His baseball coach. A baseball coach, a booster, or any individual associated with the university cannot give money to a player, nor can they use their money on behalf of a player. Doing so would lead to an NCAA investigation and could lead to fines, loss of eligibility, a coach being terminated, and other not-so-great things. This flaw in the premise lowers the overall quality of the book. And, as you can probably tell, the quality was not high to begin with.

Another issue with the book is that there is a lack of depth to the story. You have a bad boy who seems like he can't hurt a fly and a good girl who is sexually and emotionally inept. In other words, you have the same exact two leads that you've had for the previous books in this series. Reinventing the wheel is pretty lazy. The shallowness of the story, as well as it's predictability, makes it so freaking boring that I was often looking for things to distract me from reading. Readers should be headed toward a book to ease boredom, not headed away from it.

I'm confused about why the Sea Breeze books are classified as Young Adult. They are quite sexually explicit. They're very descriptive of anything and everything sexual in nature. They also promote some mistaken beliefs about female sexuality: (1.) that the first time always has to hurt, (2.) that every guy can tell when the woman that they are dating is a virgin or not, and (3.) that a virginal woman is 100% naïve about sex, orgasms, etc. It's not realistic. At all. Another reason they aren't fit for YA: binge drinking. The characters in the book have a tendency to binge drink when stressed, including underage characters.

I'm sure that some people will enjoy this book, but I really think that if you've had a problem with any book by this author that you're better off just avoiding this book. ( )
  janersm | Apr 13, 2015 |

Maybe driving home after a few (or more) shots of tequila had been a bad idea, but hell, he did it all the time. The cops had to have been freaking bored to have pulled him over. He wasn't even swerving! That's Cage York's story and he's sticking to it. Unfortunately, his baseball coach isn't buying it. Cage has a free ride to the local junior college for baseball -- or he did, until he'd gotten a DUI. Now, Cage has to decide: does he drop out and give up his dream of getting noticed by a college in the SEC, and possibly making it into the Major Leagues -- or does he give in to his coach's demands and spend his summer baling hay? Eva Brooks planned out her life step by step when she was eight years old. Not once over the years had she lost sight of her goals. Josh Beasley, her next door neighbor, had been the center of those goals. He'd been her first boyfriend at seven, her first kiss at ten, her first date at fifteen, and her first tragedy at eighteen. The moment she'd received the phone call from Josh's mother saying he'd been killed along with four other soldiers just north of Baghdad, Eva's carefully planned life imploded in the worst way possible. Cage isn't real happy with his closet-sized bedroom in the back of a foul smelling barn, or his daily interactions with cows, but he knows that if he doesn't make his coach happy then he can kiss his scholarship goodbye. Only a sick and twisted man would decide his punishment was to be working on a farm all summer. No hot babes in bikinis waiting to meet a Southern boy to make her vacation complete. Just him and the damned cows. Oh -- and an uptight, snarky brunette with the biggest blue eyes he's every seen. But she doesn't count, because as hard as he's tried to charm her out of her panties - he's pretty sure she'd rather see him hung from the rafters than let him get a taste of her pretty little lips.… (more)

Abbi Glines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible