The Mad Lord's Daughter by Jane Goodger

The Mad Lord's Daughter

by Jane Goodger

202515,329 (3.5)None

“The Mad Lord’s Daughter” by Jane Goodger was a most interesting book to read. It seems that Melissa has been locked away in her suite of rooms her whole life by a father who was scared to death that his daughter would contract some disease and perish as her mother had done years before. Picture this, in this day and age, that a young woman would go into the world never having been exposed to any interaction with persons other than her parent, servants and tutors. She may have been taught the correct things to say and the proper ways to act, but was never in a position to use what she learned. How debilitating would this be, when after the parent dies, she is forced into the world and worse than that, forced to find a husband who would take care of her as she has no way of providing for herself. I found this fact the most interesting part of the book. Nevermind the romantic situations of the characters in the novel, the way they interact and live, this was the foremost thing I thought about throughout the book. What would I have done in that situation? This I found fascinating. I think you’ll like reading this story. I also think you’ll like the ending, which I won’t even hint about in this review. Just read the book and see what you find is the main reason to keep turning the pages.

I received a free copy of this book for my honest review from the publisher. The opinions expressed here are my own.

You can find a review of this book at http://wp.me/p2pjIt-2H
  SilverShrew | Feb 20, 2014 |
There's nothing worse for a reviewer then the fear that one's review of a beloved book will be weighed, measured and found wanting.

Ms. Jane Goodger is very new to me and after only two books, her writing leaves me breathless. She weaves her stories with out most care and I find her characters, even the ones on the periphery of the story, were given an element of humanity, which brought them to life for me.

Her broken heroes or heroines always rise like a phoenix from the ashes and my heart is filled with joy watching them reach their happily ever after.

She never takes her secondary characters for granted and she cleverly incites our curiosity with them that in the end we're left asking to know and want one of their own stories. That was the case of Miss Diane Stenhope, our heroines chaperon and Lord Braddock, the hero's father. Their happily ever after was as much interesting as John and Melissa's. That kind of writing takes forethought and ingenuity and the author has achieved both in this novel.

The story was paced to perfection, as our hero and heroine slowly ....http://bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/the-mad-lords-daughter-by-jane-goodger/

Thanks for reading this on our blog.

Melanie ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Aug 13, 2012 |

Locked away by her reclusive and intensely protective father, the recently deceased "Mad Lord of Northumberland," Melissa is beautiful and educated but painfully naive about the real world - and the dark secrets of her birth. Now in the care of her uncle, the Earl of Braddock, she must prepare to enter London society and find a proper husband, a task that grows complicated when she falls for the one man she can never have. Just as a promising new life begins to eclipse her tragic past, she'll find herself consumed by a forbidden love that could destroy it all.

Painfully naive about the real world and the dark secrets of her birth, Melissa, the daughter of the late "Mad Lord of Northumberland," enters London society to find a proper husband, a task that becomes complicated when she falls in love with the one man she cannot have.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible