Blaze by Joan Swan

I read Fever, the first book in this series, years ago but didn't know until recently that it was the first book in a series. Blaze was the story of Kiera and Luke both of whom had developed powers after being caught in a fire that contained unique chemicals. They were in love before the fire, but separated due to Kiera's insecurities about having her own family. Even though some of the parts were melodramatic, the description of the psychic powers was believable enough to make the story enjoyable. I'm anxious to read the next book in this series. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jun 28, 2017 |
What an adrenaline rush this book was from start to finish. Blaze kicks the conspiracy of what happened in the warehouse fire to the seven members of a fire fighting hazmat unit into high gear.

We met Luke in Fever. He was the man that had taken in his niece when his brother in law had been sent to jail for killing his wife - Luke's sister. We knew Luke was still hurting over his girlfriend Keira leaving him with one of the reason's being she didn't want kids and he did. The "powers" they also got from being in the fire which were intensified when they were together played a small part in her leaving too.

This book starts out with both Keira who is a FBI sharpshooter now and Luke who is with ATF both being on the scene of a alleged cult-compound where the leader was holding children hostage. One of whom is a little boy Keira has a psychic connection to and had been looking for over a year. What she didn't expect to see was Luke show up who she hadn't seen in 3 years and now working with ATF. Immediately their psychic connection kicks into gear and even though they are both reeling from seeing each other again the connection ends up saving both there lives.

From here things start rolling and I think a lot is spoiler territory.

A lot more is told about each of the team. Many things you thought that happened in both in the first book and even during this one was not the case. I love how the author is keeping us on our toes and surprising us at every turn.

I cannot wait for the next book in this series.

CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
This romantic suspense had a good plot with lots of exciting action throughout but I did not like the heroine's repetitive behavior toward the hero which was so irritating I started skimming it. She isn't romantically trustworthy even at the end. FBI sharpshooter Kiera is surprised when her old love Luke joins her team during a mission. ( )
  Dawn772 | Jan 29, 2015 |
“BLAZE”, by Joan Swan & published by Kensington, is the second in the Phoenix Rising series. I found redemption for the author in this novel (if you recall my review of “Fever” was pretty ambivalent) and appreciated that with this second book in the series, she found a way to give more of the backstory while bringing in the whole “crew”.

“Blaze” focuses on Luke (remember him? The mean brother-in-law?) and Keira, who have been estranged for three years due to her unwillingness to commit to having children. Since they were both in the infamous warehouse fire, and both have “special” powers now, she’s afraid their child would be a super freak. That’s even BEFORE we dip into the issue of her crappy childhood and her fears that she wouldn’t be a good mother. One of Keira’s “skills” is her ability to “hear” things, especially if she’s touching something of the person’s – and for the past year, she has been “connected” to a young boy, Matteo, whom she is trying to rescue from a religious compound. It’s here that she and Luke bump into one another and discover that not only is their love connection still tight, but their proximity to each other increases their “skills” (he becomes bullet / flame resistant).

We meet more of the firefighting team, and get into the head of Ms. Darden – and it takes a really good author (in my opinion!) to make the “bad guy” sympathetic. I was also so involved in the story that my typical mind wanderings didn’t happen… so I was COMPLETELY blindsided by a facet of the ending. (Kudos to Joan Swan LOL!)

Okay, now off to read book #3! YAY!! ( )
  SnarkyMom | Aug 26, 2013 |
This series just keeps getting better and more intense. I am absolutely in love with these characters! From the very first page, Blaze is full of action. I loved Keira, she was strong willed, could kick some series A-- but yet has so many insecurities due to a terrible past. She has to be one of my favorite heroines now!! I cannot wait to get more of all of these characters and hope that all of them get their HEA. ( )
  hcollins | Aug 18, 2013 |

"Ever since FBI agent Keira O'Shay started tracking a young boy named Mateo, she's felt a connection even her empathic abilities can't explain. She needs to save Mateo from the cult leader holding him hostage. Nothing can interfere with that--not even the reappearance of Luke Ransom, the hot-as-hell fire captain she's regretted walking out on for three long years. Losing Keira left Luke vulnerable--in every way. When they were together, the powers each possesses were mysteriously enhanced. But it's the sexy, surprising woman beneath the tough exterior that Luke's really missed. Even if she betrayed him utterly. And even if agreeing to help her uncover a government conspiracy means watching his life and his heart go up in flames again..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,104,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible