The Orphan Factory by James Morcan

The Orphan Factory

by James Morcan, Lance Morcan

This wasn't nearly as fast paced as the first book, "The Ninth Orphan". That is not a criticism of the book, its just the nature of the story.

I found the first half to be somewhat slow. I think that has more to do with my preferences than it does with the book. The nature of the story does not lend itself to the same kind of suspense "The Ninth Orphan" provided. The second half picked up and had more action, but still lagged behind its predecessor.

grandpahobo | Mar 22, 2015 |
The first book in The Orphan Trilogy was great, but this one's better. In fact, it's easily one of the best books I've read in the thriller-type genre. From the first page to the last, I was utterly absorbed in this ambitious story of twenty three genetically super-enhanced orphan children, being prepared for a life of conspiratorial espionage at the top levels that go beyond the law. This work simply doesn't put a foot wrong.

Perhaps surprisingly, this feels like a coming of age book more than anything else, as we follow Nine, the main protagonist, from childhood to the beginnings of adulthood; but it's a coming of age book of a boy living in a dark, extreme, secret, isolated world- and that makes all the difference.
There's so much depth to all the characters and their interactions, the various geographical locations and settings like the orphanage are all vibrant and expertly detailed, and the structure and story of the book weaves together in a fascinating, page turning frenzy which builds and builds throughout. I was just as captivated by such everyday characters like the homeless Ace or by the scenarios of teenage first love yearnings, as I was by the gripping action finale chapters in Guyana.
I don't want to give away too much of what actually occurs in this tale, as that's for the reader to discover- I want you to experience the spellbinding freshness of this book for yourself.

I'm not hugely into the thriller category, but this book transcends the genre. It's simply a damn great read, regardless of classification. And I already can't wait to read the last instalment in this brilliant trilogy. ( )
  HarryWhitewolf | Feb 12, 2015 |
A sci-fi thriller.

The Orphan Factory is the prequel to the Ninth Orphan . This book tells the story of how the Orphans come to be. These are genetically created super humans. they live in the Pedement Orphanage. The story is centered around number nine. Plenty of action and drama. I loved that it is based mostly in Chicago my Home town. I was really able to connect to what was happening. Some of the characters i loved others i did not. Number Nine is a very like able character and it was great to learn about his beginnings. I look forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  Georgiann | Nov 30, 2014 |
The children are born inside of the orphanage and each mother is not allowed to ever see them again. As Nine is born, as he doesn’t know his name and is only ever called by a number, his mother is allowed to hold him for only a moment before he is taken away from her forever.
Nine grew up with other babies and children his own age and several that were born 18months later to the same women.
They begin training these children as a government operation unknown to the public. They are raised government trained. They are taught the masters of disguising themselves, fighting, sharp shooting and many other things.
This one is just as good as the Ninth Orphan, just not sure why it came second when it was the beginning of their lives and it might had needed to be first.
Either way, it works out great and happens to be a wonderful story!

http://bitoeverything.com/?p=451 ( )
  liaburres | Apr 6, 2014 |
The Orphan Factory (The Orphan Trilogy, #2) by James Morcan

Sci-Fi Thriller, the prequel to The Ninth Orphan. This is the story of how the orphans came to be. They are genetically created super humans living in Chicago’s Pedemont Orphanage. The story revolves around number Nine.

Action and drama prevail in this exciting story. I liked some of the characters, others I did not. Loved the fact it was mostly based in Chicago, and being from there, I was really able to get the "feel" of what was happening. Number nine is very likable and it was great to learn about his beginning. I look forward to reading the third book in the series ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Apr 2, 2014 |
The Orphan Factory (The Orphan Trilogy, #2) by James Morcan

added by SheriAWilkinson | editPrinceton, Il., Sheri A Wilkinson (Dec 18, 2013)

James Morcanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morcan, Lancemain authorall editionsconfirmed

An epic, atmospheric story that begins with twenty three genetically superior orphans being groomed to become elite spies in Chicago’s Pedemont Orphanage and concludes with a political assassination deep in the Amazon jungle.
The Orphan Factory, a coming-of-age spy thriller novel, is book two in The Orphan Trilogy and a prequel to The Ninth Orphan. Go on another frenetic journey with the ninth-born orphan as he busts out of the clandestine orphanage he knew as home and goes on the run across America.

In the late 1970’s, in Chicago, Illinois, the secretive Omega Agency initiates the Pedemont Project – a radical experiment utilizing genetic engineering technologies – to create twenty three orphan babies with the plan to turn them into the world’s most effective assassins.

One of the prodigies will rebel: meet Number Nine, an orphan with a mind of his own.

In 1998, when Nine reaches adulthood and graduates with honors from the Pedemont Orphanage, he is already an adept of the deadly espionage arts. Ordered by his Omega masters to assassinate a survivor of the Jonestown tragedy in Guyana’s Amazon rainforest, Nine is forced to draw upon all of his advanced training just to stay alive.

Written by father-and-son writing team Lance & James Morcan (authors of The Ninth Orphan and Fiji: A Novel), The Orphan Factory is the second book in The Orphan Trilogy. The third and final book in the series, a sequel titled The Orphan Uprising, will be published by Sterling Gate Books in 2013. A feature film adaptation of The Ninth Orphan is also currently being developed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,308,592 books! | Top bar: Always visible