Strange Mr. Satie by M. T. Anderson

Strange Mr. Satie

by M. T. Anderson

I love many of M.T. Anderson's books, so I was hoping that this wouldn't disapoint. This is the kind of Anderson story I like. The writing is sparing and eloquent. He writes in a manner that allows a story to be understood, without sacrificing any of the artistry of true poetic form. I didn't know who Eric Satie was, but I'm finding that the more I read the more I realize I don't know. Anyway, of the many picture book biographies that I've been reading lately, this is probably my favorite. Not only was the book written at an exceptional level; the illustrations including the endpages were great. If you have the opportunity, read the quotes lavishly draped over the endpages. They are quite interesting, in an oddball style. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
I would use this book along with others about artists. I have never heard of this man and would like to hear some of his music, which the author's note identifies as being used often as background music for movies and advertisements. Along with the author's note, the information for further reading and listening makes it a good reference item. The author suggested listening to Satie's better known works, the Gymopedies, the Bnossiennes and Three Pieces in the Shape of a Pear. Several are on You Tube and they are familiar and haunting. I can see why someone would say they are both happy and sad. One listener left this comment: "I love how this song can be both sad and joyfull, terrible and beautifull at the same time. I can see images of war and suffering as well images of nature and its beauty or think about wonderfull days. It is very universal and timeless. I guess that is why it is so great. Everyone hears something different. But it offers something special and personal to each listener. Does that make sense? Dont know .. maybe im just a crazy man babbling :)"

Samurailord 3 months ago 107 Samurailord ( )
  kthomp25 | Dec 8, 2010 |
To me, the perfect picture book. The writing is lyrical and poetic, the drawings are quirky and totally fit the story. Eric Satie was a creative outsider who did not fit into the mainstream as a boy or an adult. In the story he is shown in a sympathetic and lovely way and the message is to appreciate the individual and that their view of the world is just different, not wrong, or something to laugh at, but to be appreciated. Everyone has a place. This book could be used to enrich many lessons. ( )
  oapostrophe | May 31, 2010 |
This was an OK book. I wouldn't reccommend it for small children. It was kind of dark. It tells of Mr. Satie's life and how he composes his music. He relates his music to real life situations.
  Sgrammer | Oct 5, 2009 |
Interesting and different. It was about a composer and he did alot of strange things. Good for different kinds of thinking. ( )
  brandaman | Feb 3, 2008 |
Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz (Children's Literature)
Satie, a composer known for his compositions which defied the conventions of the time, lived an equally unconventional life. Briefly and simply Anderson places him among his artist friends, all of whom were in rebellion against "the world of rules and polite smiles..." of the turn of the last century. He also does his best to convey for young readers how unusual both Satie's music and his life were. Satie had a terrible temper, lived eccentrically in poverty, then went back to school to obtain his music degree. His creations were severely criticized. But Anderson feels that sometimes "they can sound like him dancing, strange Mr. Satie, a child-man dancing...alone." Mathers's colored illustrations ably visualize some of the text's surreal imagery. Mixing double-page typical French street scenes with vignettes of the composer, his friends, and their creations, she creates a sort of rhythm in her low-key, oddly comical illustrations to accompany the image-filled, blank-verse-like text. Here is a book that could really use an accompanying CD to help understand the text. An author's note adds factual information. The end-papers, adapted from Satie's Memoirs of an Amnesiac, give a hint of his eccentricity. 2003, Viking/ Penguin Young Readers Group, $16.99. Ages 5 to 9.

added by kthomp25 | editChildren's Literature, Ken Marantz and Sylvia Marantz

GraceAnne DeCandido (Booklist, Nov. 1, 2003 (Vol. 100, No. 5))
Anderson, who gave us the delightful Handel, Who Knew What He Liked (2001), and Mathers, who illustrated the quirky Little Love Song (1992), team up for a deliciously offbeat look at the French composer Erik Satie, a very odd man who made very odd music: "like an old chant and wild tunes. . . mixed together." Satie threw the artist he loved out the window (but Suzanne Valadon was also an acrobat and survived), and he had some mighty peculiar personal habits (he didn't take baths, scraping himself with stones, instead). Mathers strikingly reflects the composer's life and times by using surrealistic elements in her pictures: Satie's piano's pedals look like a leg and foot; the hats people wear at the famous cafe Le Chat Noir might be plates or clocks or bumblebees. Anderson's text has a fine rhythm, and it doesn't shirk at the strangeness, making this suitable for older children, as well. An excellent author's note fills in the biography. Category: Books for the Young--Nonfiction. 2003, Viking, $16.99. Gr. 1-3.
added by kthomp25 | editBooklist, GraceAnne DeCandido

In Paris, at the turn of the twentieth century, when artists were experimenting with new ways of seeing things, Erik Satie had something new to say about music. Most people didn't understand his pieces; critics called his music surreal. But Erik Satie didn't care. He wanted to make music that followed no rules but its own. Satie's life was strange and wonderful, frenetic and lonely all at the same time. He was friends with Picasso, and with wizards and puppeteers; he scraped himself with a stone instead of bathing, and he once threw his acrobat girlfriend out a window. Now award-winning author M. T. Anderson tells the story of the irreverent French composer in a biography that is witty, accessible, and endlessly surprising, while Petra Mathers' fanciful illustrations capture all the vibrancy that was Erik Satie's topsy-turvy world.

Illustrations by Petra Mathers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:54 -0400)

Introduces the life of the French composer, Erik Satie, who spent his entire career challenging established conventions in music.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,472,981 books! | Top bar: Always visible