Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft by Jody Gehrman

Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft

by Jody Gehrman

I confess to grabbing this as a freebie mostly because of the gorgeous cover of gorgeousness (although it looks a bit blobby in thumbnail, it's really very pretty). So I was pleasantly surprised to find the book was rather enjoyable. It's very typical YA witchy fare: Teenager Audrey discovers she's actually a witch, and it might just be up to her to save everyone she knows. Nice worldbuilding, light on the infodumps, and the protagonist is funny, if very over-eager. I rather like that she's told flat out (more than once) she has delusions of grandeur and has to learn to walk before she can run. I also liked that the author via her heroine pokes fun at some genre tropes. The series title comes from the fact the heroine keeps a journal, and often summarises her exploits in bullet list form in it, and some of those entries are really funny. Also the format is not overused to the point it's annoying, it's just about right (it comes up often enough that "Audrey and her notebook" are her "thing", but not so often it feels like you're just reading her diary entries). That kind of format is difficult to pull off, but I really think it succeeded here. Despite being pretty typical, it's a fun read. There's an interesting and entertaining mix of a light comedic style and a really heavy dark villain of the very nastiest kind - who actually is written in a rather delightfully charming way. He thinks he's a do-gooder out to save the world, and can't for the life of him understand why people are objecting just because his methods happen to include murder, kidnapping, demon summoning and necromancy. It does end on something of a cliffhanger, but this book worked for me enough I'll pick up the next book (so far there are only two, not sure how many are planned). ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
Wonderful and fresh! Full review to come tomorrow! ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft is a quick and fun magical read. I love witchy books and this one had both a sweet romance and a good mystery to keep me engrossed.

Audrey is one of those main characters that is easy to like. She is a smart and thoughtful person, but she has insecurities, too. Her younger sister is everything she is not... outgoing, perky, a budding rock star. Sadie, too, her eccentric and vivid "cousin," also makes her feel a little tame. It is the realization that she is more than she knew that really makes Audrey grow into her own.

The romance in this story isn't insta-love, which I liked. In fact, Audrey is so certain that he will fall for her more outgoing sister that she barely entertains the thought of liking Julian for herself. I like that the romance didn't come easily, but was something that developed over time. complete with some rather unusual obstacles.

I loved Audrey's journal and I wish there had been a little more of it. It was sort of a blend of recipes and witchy notes and it was a lot of fun. I also wished we had had a bit more of her mother in the book to really understand their relationship, etc.
I do love the mythology of the witchy side of the story. There were bits of realism mixed with the fantastical and it was a great blend.

My Recommendation: This is a fun witchy read! ( )
  Kiki870 | Oct 15, 2014 |
To be honest I kind of had my doubts about this book to start with but after reading it, I really liked it.

The characters are well written and is written through Audrey's POV. Audrey is a seventeen-year-old girl who's just discovered that she's a witch. Everything in her life seemed normal until her mom goes missing, she has a feeling that something bad has happened to her but can't back it up. When a strange girl arrives at her house claiming to be her cousin, Audrey knows something's not quite right and she's determined to find out.

I liked Audrey for the most part, she's not the most confident person but she stands up for her best friend when she needs her and she's not whiney like some lead female characters, so that was a plus. Her younger sister, Meg, was slightly annoying to me. She's the blonde beauty who gets all the boys and is in a girl band named Cherry. To me she's bratty and spoiled. Sadie is a young witch sent to babysit Audrey and Meg while their mom is away. She's a laid-back animal lover and has some unusual pets, that she brings with her. Then there's Julian. He's Audrey's love interest and for a change, he's the only love interest. He sounds like a pretty awesome guy, he cares about who Audrey is on the inside and looks past her flaws. Every girls dream guy.

There wasn't that much of a cliffhanger at the end but there are some loose ends that need to be tied up. I will definitely be reading the sequel: Audrey's Guide to Black Magic.

As for the cover...I'm kind of on the fence about it. Part of me likes it and the other part doesn't but I can't seem to put my finger on what it is that I don't like.

Disclaimer: I received a this book for free from a giveaway at The Elliott Review. This in no way influenced my opinions about this book. ( )
  sayurikuchiki | Apr 27, 2013 |
Audrey’s Guide to Witchcraft has a gorgeous cover and inside there is a terrific spell-casting, character filled tale that kept me spellbound. Witches, necromancers, swoon worthy guys and a chocolate cake with raspberries that should be illegal! This witchy tale offered a great start to a new series.

The tale pulls you in from the start. We meet protagonist Audrey and things are about to turn upside down in her fairly normal little life. First, strange things happen at school that kind of freak her out, she has some weird visions/daydreams and a nagging, persistent feeling that something is wrong with her Mom. When she gets home she and her sister are greeted by their supposed cousin, twenty-one year old Sadie. Sadie informs them their mother has had to go home to deal with a family emergency. Audrey and Meg have never met their mother’s side of the family and something just feels wrong. Stranger still weird things are happening to Audrey. Mix in a cute boy who does things to her, the weird dude from her dreams and her unusual cousin and you have the makings for a witchy tale. The tale that unfolded kept me enchanted, as the tale slowly picked up speed and things were revealed to us.

Audrey is a typical teenager, who is eager to take on the world. She loves cooking and chemistry and I ended up liking this geeky, nerd girl. Her sister Meg is one of those girls who seems to have it all, from the way she walks to her ease at being center stage. Sadie was totally cool and just gave of that whole 'hippy-vibe'. I found her to be funny, quirky and quick-witted. I so want to read more about her! Bridget is Audrey’s best friend, and I liked this nerd girl with her made up vocabulary. I admired how loyal Audrey was to her, but also loved the growth we saw in Bridget. Julian is yummy, and I am very curious about him and the effects he has on Audrey. Overall the characters were fairly fleshed out but still have the potential to be more as the series progresses. The romance is sweet, funny, smexy and served on the side is this tale.

Gehrman adds her own delightful twists and colorful characters to a tried and true formula creating a fun, silly, captivating read that kept me intrigued as the tale unfolded. The tale had dark and suspenseful moments filled with evil, necromancers, zombie type creatures and witchy goodness. Gehrman made baking sensual even magical and I liked this added element. I want to test out that chocolate cake recipe..Eep! Audrey’s powers, the coven’s rules, spells mentioned and other witchy details were fascinating. The pacing was perfect and slowly built to the intense climax. While the tale is far from over, she skillfully avoided the dreaded cliffhanger.
Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer ( )
  kimbacaffeinate | Mar 30, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 061565844X, Paperback)

From the award-winning author of Babe in Boyland comes a Young Adult paranormal romance about witchcraft, black magic, and the pleasures of paranormal chocolate...

Falling in love, baking a magical cake, fighting an evil necromancer--it's all in a day's work for Audrey Oliver, seventeen-year-old witch-in-training. When her mother goes missing and her mysterious "cousin" shows up out of the blue, Audrey knows something's gone horribly, dangerously wrong. Now it's up to her to get her own magical powers up to speed before everyone she loves is destroyed by the sorcerer intricately connected to her mother's secret past.

Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft is more than just a novel; it's a book of spells, a collection of easy recipes, a charming coming-of-age story, an enchanting romance, and an action-packed adventure. As Audrey overcomes her insecurities and learns to protect herself against the wicked black magic of her nemesis, she grows into a heroine we can root for--a witch who knows that true power comes from deep within.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:49 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible