Twisted Roots by Shelly Goodman Wright

Twisted Roots

by Shelly Goodman Wright

~FIRST READS WINNER~
Great design, style and layout. Prefect print.
Interesting prologue, thanks for including that. Then the line, “you don’t know how special you really are.”. That line from the book blurb got me interested, at first. Now reading it, I must find out what’s to come. The writing is really smooth, no hiccups.

Mostly its a story about a young girl that runs away from home, with added extra like the weird (magical?) swamp, bible verses and hints towards angels (Indians?) and demons. The part about the mother and daughter’s life and issues, reminds me of “Flowers in the Attic.”

I liked how in the beginning, the main character Jess didn’t believe in God, wasn’t interested in it; and no one wanted to change her. Then—she gave up and allowed to be conformed; Which got on my nerves a bit. The bible scripture part I understood, in the beginning I was able to tolerate them, but then it became tedious.

As many times as they ate, prepared and talked about food made think of “The Hobbit” and their ‘second breakfast, tea times, dinner and after dinner’ meals . LOL.

So she ran away, wound up in a strange part of a swamp, living in an old run down shack, with a new poor ‘family’ and out of nowhere all of a sudden they’re playing dress up and going to “Cinderella’s ball” (Horse and carriage included)…wth.

Incredible writing for a first- time author. Not sure how to describe this book- it wasn’t “amazing” nor was it bad. Decent story, written well but just not what I expected. Claims its YA fantasy, magic and romance but really just Christian mystery fiction.

Most interesting part of entire story was when the demons were introduced—more my speed. Too bad it was only like that on last few pages ;(. Not sure if I’ll be interested in reading book two, we shall see. Sadly, it would not be a book I would have bought, but glad I had the chance to read it.
3/5 ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Jan 20, 2014 |

"I want to tell you something now. I need you to listen closely and don't forget. I'm not sure how much time I have." He stopped again and shook his head at the sky. He then pointed out a vivid star high above them in the moonless sky. "There are magical places that exit in this world, Jess, places that the master architect created to balance good and evil. The time will come when you will leave this house and enter into another life that awaits you, a life you deserve and one with greater purpose. You don't know how special you really are." Jessica's sole priority for the past thirteen years has been to keep her father alive in the hope he will wake up from his coma and save her. Threatening to cut of his life support at any sign of independence, her mother has controlled her life, even to the point of an arranged engagement to Seth, whom Jessica fears even more than her mother. When Jessica accepts this most outrageous demand yet and then discovers her father has "passed away" anyway, she knows she has to escape. She runs until she is lost and bewildered in a Georgia swamp, where she discovers the existence of the wonderful place her father hinted at to her when she was only a child. In this magical, unreal world, jas as she beings to discover the truth about her twisted family roots, three young men set their eyes on Jessica. One will win her heart, one will try to steal it and one will try to kill her.… (more)

Shelly Goodman Wright is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,389,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible