Fire Watch [short story] by Connie Willis

Fire Watch [short story] (1982)

by Connie Willis

English (3)  All (1)  All (4)
This novelette which won the both Hugo and Nebula, serves as a good primer to [a:Connie Willis|14032|Connie Willis|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1199238234p2/14032.jpg]'s works.

I just read [b:To Say Nothing of the Dog|77773|To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)|Connie Willis|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327943222s/77773.jpg|696] a few days ago, so I thought it would be good to read this novelette before reading [b:Doomsday Book|24983|Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1)|Connie Willis|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1332036910s/24983.jpg|2439628].

But my advice to anyone interested in her books would be to start directly with [b:To Say Nothing of the Dog|77773|To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)|Connie Willis|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1327943222s/77773.jpg|696] or [b:Doomsday Book|24983|Doomsday Book (Oxford Time Travel, #1)|Connie Willis|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1332036910s/24983.jpg|2439628]. Arguably, these two books could be considered to be her best efforts. ( )
  Veeralpadhiar | Mar 31, 2013 |
This was my first Willis read, and I quite enjoyed it. It's a story about time travel, and the main character goes back in time to the Blitz and is put on the fire watch for St. Paul's cathedral (for some kind of Time Travel U degree - it's basically his final exam).

It was good, Willis handles time travel well. Apparently characters from her novels are in this story, so I will look forward to reading it again after I've read those.

I would have probably enjoyed this story more if I hadn't just read a series of stories/novels that seemed to have sucker punched me emotionally. This story doesn't give me a strong emotional reaction, and so I can't say I really enjoyed it more (though I did enjoy the break). ( )
  suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |

suzemo | Mar 31, 2013 |
September 20 -- Of course the first thing I looked for was the fire watch stone.
This is the entry for the novelette. Please don't combine it with the collection.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,018,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible