Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy…

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen

by Lucy Knisley

In her unique graphic memoir style of part journal, part story, Lucy Knisley reminisces about food and the impact it has had on her life.

This is a book guaranteed to make you hungry. In her twenties when the book came out, Lucy Knisley's tastes might seem odd to the average reader (well, okay, she admits having a craving for fast food from time to time), but she uses food as a way of exploring memories of growing up, from moving to upstate New York with her mom, to visiting a friend in Japan and navigating a foreign culture with different tastes - and a soy allergy. She's not afraid to laugh at herself or to seriously reflect on her memories. And, interspersed with the stories, are illustrated recipes that will have your mouth watering in no time. A thoroughly enjoyable read. ( )
  bell7 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I found this book in the biography section of our library and it had the "Graphic Novel" and "Young Adult" stickers on the spine. It still looked cute, so I took it home. I'm not sure if I'll try the recipes, but they looked good. ( )
  eliorajoy | Jan 12, 2017 |
I was very hesitant to pick this up because I'm a leeeetle snobby with food. Lucy did NOT let me down and this book was perfect for me! We have some similar experiences and the fact that she worked at a cheese counter IN chicago and went to Japan like me was awesome! Loved the Chicago setting for most of this book and recognized so much of what she spoke about. Thanks to my good friend B for making this one happen!!! ( )
  dmbkel41 | Dec 7, 2016 |
Just because I have virtually no sense of smell, or taste, (and am unable to cook worth a damn because seasoning is a mystery: "to taste"!?!? What, my taste? That's either way too much salt or way too much sugar for normal people) and am absolutely not a foodie, I do enjoy reading about other people's relationship with food. I don't care about recipes, but the emotional weight of food, and dinner parties, and all that. Knisley has enjoyed a particularly deep love affair with food, uncomplicated by so many of the eating issues and disorders. It's like reading about anything that anyone really loves: it's engrossing even when you don't see it.

Knisley's motto would seem to be "there is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing... about in boats — or with boats." Only replacing "boats" with "food." It's a charming memoir, reflecting well on family and friends, and memorable meals with same.

Library copy. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I loved everything but the narrative/memoir. The narrative is really important, so that's why it only has two stars. The facts/recipes are awesome and the illustrations are fantastic. It also has at least a few very good recipes, including my favorite juevos rancheros recipe. ( )
  valzi | Sep 7, 2016 |

"Lucy Knisley loves food. The daughter of a chef and a gourmet, this talented young cartoonist comes by her obsession honestly. In her forthright, thoughtful, and funny memoir, Lucy traces key episodes in her life thus far, framed by what she was eating at the time and lessons learned about food, cooking, and life. Each chapter is bookended with an illustrated recipe-- many of them treasured family dishes, and a few of them Lucy's original inventions" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,107,790 books! | Top bar: Always visible