Breaking the Circle (The Maya Brown…

Breaking the Circle (The Maya Brown Missions)

by S. M. Hall

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Breaking the Circle is the second book of 'The Maya Brown Missions' series. This book can be read on its own. Overall I would not want my kids reading it now and would wait until they are a bit older. It was a good story though. ( )
  jeff123321 | Dec 25, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It took me a while to review this book because I had to secure a copy of the first book in the series (I hate reading books out of order!). I am a bit confused as to the audience for this book - I found the subjects a bit too mature for the 9-12 crowd but the writing style would not appeal to the 13+ crowd. I wasn't too impressed with the writing style but the topics are prevalent in today's society (unfortunately). I don't think I will seek out the third book in the series. ( )
  momtorghj | Nov 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
At the start of the second book in this ongoing series, Maya is mugged by a frightened girl, a young man and a rather aggressive dog. Through pluck and courage, she manages to get her things back but somehow ends up deeper into the crime ring that the two muggers are involved with. It ends up close to home, when the mugging boy shows up at a party as the boyfriend of one her friends, and it's clear that the friend is into drugs, which the boy is selling. Maya is pulled into a world of drugs and human trafficking.

An interesting series concept, with Maya following in the footsteps of her adoptive mother secret agent Pam. It feels a bit After School Special to me - like when Kay freely admits early on to drug use and potential prostitution. Not sure if this is appropriate for middle school, and really don't see a high school audience for it.
  mikitchenlady | Nov 11, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While Mayas mother is called away on a mission, she is mugged by a boy and his girlfriend. Later at a friends party she see's them there and learns they are drug sellers, but the drugs they are selling are laced with a deadly substance. Maya soon finds out they are also involved with human trafficking of girls. Will Maya be able to stop the drugs from reaching anymore clients and help the trafficked girls, or does she become to involved to make it out alive.
Very entertaining read. ( )
  crystaldotson | Nov 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is the sequel to "Circle of Fire". Both books are fast paced and full of action and adventure. They are written for young adults. A typical reader may not notice some the things that irritated me about the writing. The story line was good, but the writing style left me struggling to say positive things. I found the "mind message" talk very irritating. Aside from that, Maya Brown is one tough chick, but it's extremely unrealistic. ( )
  spelldavid | Oct 24, 2012 |

Escaping a brutal mugging, Maya meets a desperate illegal immigrant. But is there a connection between Kay and the frightening world of drugs that Maya's friends are getting involved in? And is Maya overreacting or is there something she can do to save Kay and make her friends see the danger they are in?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

S. M. Hall's book Breaking the Circle: The Maya Brown Missions was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible