In Search of Cleo: How I Found My Pussy and…

In Search of Cleo: How I Found My Pussy and Lost My Mind (edition 2012)

by Gina Gershon

Rating:**
Tags:nonfiction, cats, Hollywood, ER, studio

In Search of Cleo: How I Found My Pussy and Lost My Mind by Gina Gershon

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The best word I can think of to describe this book is "unnecessary." The "racy" subtitle - unnecessary. Much of the crude language and sexual content - unnecessary. The narrative jumps all over the place and parts really stretch your belief. The best thing I can say about this book is that it's short and has a happy ending. Maybe fans of the actress would be interested in this book, but cat lovers can skip it. ( )
  BookLizard | Nov 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The subtitle "How I Found my Pussy and Lost My Mind" should be a warning -- this book is not really about a cat or even a cat/owner relationship but about the author's bizarre search for her cat in the weird world of Hollywood. The author is a Hollywood actress, whom I never heard of. Her cat was lost while she was gone. I had been expecting touching stories of her relationship to the now-missing cat. Instead, the stories were about her meeting some strange people.

The writing was okay -- not great, not too many typos, but not gripping nor compelling. The language in some spots was very foul. The story read as a collection of badly written short stories, pasted together. The truly upsetting thing for me, a confirmed cat-lower, is the author's attitude and some comments which makes me wonder if she even cared for the cat, other than as an object.

If you are fascinated by Hollywood starlets, read this book. If you are interested in cats, there are lots of better written and more moving books out there. ( )
1 vote LMHTWB | Nov 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am fond of felines and "cat lit" (e.g. "Dewey, the Friendly Library Cat" and "The Feline Mystique") and of Gina Gershon's turn in "Bound." However, I do not think this memoir ought to have had resources from a major publishing house wasted upon it. The ramblings contained in this tome would find a better place in a blog, or if their author felt they must see print, a vanity press. Gina Gershon should not quit her day job. ( )
1 vote imaginiste | Oct 31, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is really a 3 1/4 star book - but I rounded it up to 3.5.

Its one of those books I liked, but didn't like. Gina is an interesting character and leads a rather unusual life. But, I found her to be shallow, not learning very much from her encounters with the spiritual in the search for Cleo. I also found myself loosing interest in this book - I only finished it because it was so short. One thing I really liked - is that Cleo is a cat. Not a human in a furry suit. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an Early Review copy. Being a quirky cat lover, I thought I was set up to love this book. I was amused at times but overall disappointed in what I thought would have been better served as a short story. The language and crudeness would offend some people, so I would be hesitant to recommend it to others. ( )
1 vote biblio112 | Sep 24, 2012 |

A founding member of the New York City theater group Naked Angels traces her life-long relationship with cats while recounting the loss of and search for a beloved feline companion, a quest through the back streets of Los Angeles that led to encounters with numerous personalities.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

In Search of Cleo by Gina Gershon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible