Badger's Waddle by N.G. Edwards

Title:Badger's Waddle
Authors:N.G. Edwards

Badger's Waddle by Nigel Edwards

I'd like to give 3,5 stars

this is a really weird book, consisting mainly of short stories about the happenings in the small town of Badger's Waddle. It is a weird mixture of SF, Fantasy, Horror, twisted humour, ...
I especially liked the chapters about the tourists and the figure of Egon. I could have done without the birth-stories, it was a bit much for my taste.
Some parts reminded me of the Pythons, some of Christopher Moore, and probably some others.
But all in all I enjoyed reading it ( )
  Releanna | Apr 10, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not my usual choice of reading material, I'm not sure why I requested it. I started the book several times before finally plowing through to the end. Quirky and surreal humour. Yet, I enjoyed the plot and the way that the characters challenge those of the typical english village stereotype. It all comes together at the end. ( )
  Mike-Fitzgibbons | Apr 9, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Disclosure: I won a copy of this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers programme.

Badger's Waddle is one of those books that just cannot be classified. A small village unaffected by the rest of the world but thanklessly protects Earth from whatever might come through an otherworldly portal at the end of the garden. However, it's not just about this, in fact, that is but a morsel of what Edwards offers.

This book is replete with quirky characters who go about their day as if there is nothing unusual. To them, this is probably true; but to us, it is a bizarre way of life. Procreation is not dependent on love, emotion, choice of genetic preferences or even a normal gestation period. Heavy artillery is accepted as a necessity for defence of small cottages where the locals visit for tea.

Yet despite its peculiarities, Badger's Waddle is a quintessentially British village, with a bit of Torchwood added to the mix. It's a place where waste management is the purview of one individual and apathy can be used to empower.

While I enjoyed this bit of curiosity, it is not for everyone. Some of the notions of progress might be a bit much for some readers to accept, and the first few chapters seem disconnected but all make sense by the end. Therefore the slow burn effect might not wet everyone's appetite. ( )
  d_bookworm | Jan 13, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought Pratchet when I read the description and I wasn't far from the mark. Possibly a less complicated plot but it moved along and the characters were interesting. Maybe a little more description of squishing various vermin than stricty necessary but a good read.
  gimboid13 | Nov 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Try as I might I couldn't get into this book at all. Reading the blurb I thought it sounded a lot like a Terry Pratchett style of writing, and as a big fan of his I thought to myself "Where could I go wrong?"

For whatever reason I just didn't get this at all. I managed to perservere to read around about a third of the ebook, and that was hard enough, but I couldn't get any further than that. I feel bad for only giving this one star since I didn't finish it, but this book just wasn't for me in the slightest. I was very disappointed, perhaps it was my fault for going in expecting something a little different. ( )
1 vote NickDevonald | Nov 6, 2012 |
Badger’s Waddle is your typical middle England village (or hamlet, if you like). With a village pub (The Waddling Badger), village store (Truckle’s General Store and Post Office), a church, school, Cupid’s Bank (not your typical bank…) and a couple of yokels on the green, life seems fairly idyllic to the masses of tourists visiting. What they don’t know though, is that Badger’s Waddle is a (if not the) focal point of existence, where multiple dimensions converge.

On one side, a dimension filled with giant, blood-thirsty rabbits called Mordults, on the other, another populated by cute but evil marsupials called Curserippers. An eternal war exists between the Mordults and Curserippers, fought on the territory between dimensions, Badger’s Waddle.

Much like the titular hamlet, Edwards’ novel straddles multiple genres – part fantasy, part sci-fi, part surreal comedy. The humour isn’t over-stressed, making this a very easy to digest and enjoyable romp, and the sci-fi aspect isn’t overly complicated, with tongue firmly in cheek (“…weakening the meniscus interface” as just one example).

If you’re fond of Jasper Fforde or Robert Rankin, have a look at Edwards’ work. Badger’s Waddle is a great first novel, and I eagerly look forward to his future output.
On the outskirts of Badger’s Waddle, in the heart of a wild and rambling countryside stood Little Twee, cottage home to the Prae family for many generations.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Badger's Waddle by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,874,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible