Dial C for Chihuahua by Waverly Curtis

Dial C for Chihuahua

by Waverly Curtis

English (15)  Piratical (1)  All (16)
A friend suggested that I pick up this book, so I did. It was fun, mostly because I have seen some of Pepe's attitudes in Wolf, my long-haired chihuahua. Many are the times I have wished that Wolf could tell me what he was thinking and what he wanted.

Like many of the talking cat books, this one is cute, fluffy reading. It is perfect for a vacation book. I enjoyed the premise and the mystery wasn't bad at all. I wish the heroine had a bit more spine, but I suspect she'll grow one eventually. Pepe will make sure of it.

If you like cozy mysteries, you'll probably like this if you like dogs. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Sep 6, 2016 |
3.5 stars
Amusing story featuring Pepe the talking chi and his human ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
An okay start to a series. Enough to come come back for. Although I embrace some silliness in a cozy, this was a bit much. I am hoping for some serious elements to be incorporated in the next round. ( )
  StephLaymon | Feb 3, 2016 |
Early confession - one of the authors is a personal friend. That being said, I got a copy of the book for a fun easy read and it was just what I needed. This isn't one of those deep, detailed mystery stories. It is a light and breezy read, with fun characters including a talking dog.

I picked this up to read as a break from heavier novels that I am working on and it is a good respite for that. This is a book to curl up with, a cup of tea next to you on a rainy day (and hey, I live in Seattle and we know books and rain here) a fire going, your cat or dog or both by your side and drop out of reality for a fun few hours.

It doesn't seem to adhere to conventional mystery novels - in fact it's more about the dog Pepe, his person Geri and a host of other characters and their predicaments. There is a few pages of the next Pepe novel and the characters from the first are reprised in the second.

A rainy day or vacation novel. ( )
  ozzieslim | Dec 28, 2014 |
Dog lovers will love this fun mystery.
  Griffithb | Sep 1, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0758274955, Mass Market Paperback)

Pepe may have soft white fur, big brown eyes, and mucho attitude - but he's no furry fashion fad. Pepe is different. Pepe can talk - even if his new owner, Geri Sullivan, seems to be the only person who can understand him. When Geri takes on her first assignment for a quirky investigator named Jimmy G and stumbles over a Seattle millionaire's corpse, Pepe proves to be worth his weight in liver treats. Suspicion falls on the not-so-grieving widow, Rebecca Tyler, who wants to finance a reality TV show, "Dancing With Dogs". Normally, Pepe wouldn't be caught muerte in a sparkly costume. However, for Mrs. Tyler's caliente Pomeranian, he might make an exception. But puppy love will have to wait. First Pepe has to sniff out the real killer and keep Geri safe. Lesser dogs might flinch. But Pepe isn't the kind to turn tail and run.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

"Pepe may have soft white fur, big brown eyes, and mucho attitude - but he's no furry fashion fad. Pepe is different. Pepe can talk - even if his new owner, Geri Sullivan, seems to be the only person who can understand him. When Geri takes on her first assignment for a quirky investigator named Jimmy G and stumbles over a Seattle millionaire's corpse, Pepe proves to be worth his weight in liver treats. Suspicion falls on the not-so-grieving widow, Rebecca Tyler, who wants to finance a reality TV show, "Dancing With Dogs". Normally, Pepe wouldn't be caught muerte in a sparkly costume. However, for Mrs. Tyler's caliente Pomeranian, he might make an exception. But puppy love will have to wait. First Pepe has to sniff out the real killer and keep Geri safe. Lesser dogs might flinch. But Pepe isn't the kind to turn tail and run"--from publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Waverly Curtis's book Dial C For Chihuahua: A Barking Detective Mystery was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,738,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible