Silent Slaughter (Lee Campbell) by C.E.…

Silent Slaughter (Lee Campbell)

by C.E. Lawrence

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Silent Slaughter by C.E. Lawrence is an outstanding murder mystery/thriller pitting NYPD profiler Lee Campbell against a psychopath calling himself The Professor. In a game of cat vs. cat Campbell races against time as The Professor kills victim after victim while leaving very cryptic clues, including letters directed to Campbell. Gruesome at times, this book keeps the tension high and the action swift. Great characters in the supporting cast keep the book from becoming just a 1 on 1 duel between Campbell and The Professor with help arriving from an unexpected direction. My only complaint is that now I have to read the rest of the books in the series, because I am hooked. ( )
  lpg3d | Feb 1, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a copy of Silent Slaughter by C.E. Lawrence from Library Things as an early reviewer. I was unaware that Silent Slaughter was the fourth book in the series and while I enjoyed many aspects of Silent Slaughter, I do not feel compelled to go back and read the previous three books in Lawrence’s Lee Campbell Mystery series. Silent Slaughter is a faced paced book which and an enjoyable psychological thriller, yet I found myself wishing there had been a tad more to the book. Again, I must point out I did not read the previous three in the series and that could indeed cloud my judgment. I enjoy this genre immensely and would recommend others who enjoy suspenseful thrillers to give Silent Slaughter a try. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Nov 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received to review. This is a fun read. All the issues of the present TV shows on television with with the meat that pages bring to the story. Lee Campbell searches for his sister's killer and also for the "Alleyway Strangler" Both demand more than usual skills.
The alleyway strangler preys on young girls and leaves messages for the investigators. A bit weak in how he knows who they are, it does provide the clues to solve the mystery. Really liked the use of the autistic brother in solving one of the clues.
The sister storyline will continue in to the next book as well as the romance. Will go back to read the older books but this stands alone pretty well. Recommended ( )
  oldbookswine | Nov 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wow! I really liked this mystery thriller. I particularly liked the way the author sketched his killer as being above average intelligence and of course therefore he thinks he is smarter than the law, but he is wrong. I like the way the writer tied that in with what happened to the detective's sister years ago. I really enjoyed this book! ( )
  angelswing | Oct 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was the first book I've read by Lawrence and I'm happy to say it won't be the last. While books with catching serial killers is fairly common and having profiles as a main character as well, this book still has plenty to make it worth reading.

A new serial killer announces himself by sending a letter to the detective in charge of the case. He's thumbing his nose up at the police and Lee is hoping to catch him when his arrogance causes him to make a mistake. Also amongst the chase of the new serial killer, a new development has come out of the darkness in his sisters missing persons case. What he finds could be very dangerous for those involved.

Overall while I enjoyed reading the book, I found the story dealing with his missing sister to be better than the main story arc for this book. The serial killer felt a little thin and really they caught him pretty easily. If Lawrence had put as much effort into serial killer as was put into the missing sister I think this would have been a much better book. Still 3 1/2 starts ain't bad. ( )
  readafew | Oct 25, 2012 |

"When the killer's first letter arrives at the station, NYPD profiler Lee Campbell suspects the writer is daring him to match wits with a dangerous and brilliant criminal mind. But once this 'Alleyway strangler' starts leaving specially targeted messages with each surgically carved corpse, Campbell realizes it's not just personal, it's perfectly calculated to destroy him"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

C.E. Lawrence's book Silent Slaughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,941,999 books! | Top bar: Always visible