Breakfast with Bonhoeffer: How I Learned to…

Breakfast with Bonhoeffer: How I Learned to Stop Being Religious So I…

by Jon Walker

199537,190 (2.44)3

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this book, but it's just another post-modern diatribe against "religion" (a/k/a the Church) filled with excuses for why it's no longer necessary for believers in Christ. Give this one a pass. ( )
  kpjackson | Jun 25, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There were parts of this book that I really enjoyed and other parts not so much. There were a lot of good spiritual insights, but many of them were harvested from the author's own stories, many of which were painful and tragic. Of course faith is not grown out of the happy, Disney parts of life, but out of those difficult parts. But man, sometimes I really squirmed at how difficult some parts were, and how close to home they came. We aren't really used to our spiritual leaders being so transparent with their own failures. We want them to be 'experts' and a 'success' at all they do. That's not true with Walker, the book is sort of a slow slide downward that you wish had a happy ending, but does not. However, as Solomon said of himself, Walker takes his faith along with him the whole way and there are some very interesting and difficult things to learn along the way.
  tkraft | Jan 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In John Walker’s new book “Breakfast with Bonhoeffer: How I Learned To Stop Being Religious So I Could Follow Jesus” we have a great devotional read that I find as a great introduction to Bonhoeffer’s theology and thought in the context of practical application. John Walker writing style in this book is what I would consider warm and simple to make it an easy read for anyone. Each chapter in the book consisted of a personal crisis in the author’s life then he reflects on God’s word peppered with a quote from the writings of Dietrich Bonhoeffer which then culminates with some practical application which in the end results in perseverance through the crisis of faith.

Much of the biographical dilemmas the author experienced were during the research and writing for his other books “Costly Grace: A Contemporary View of Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship” and "Invisible Fellowship: A Contemporary View of Bonhoeffer's Classic Work Life Together".

While experiencing these trials of faith the author would spend time reflecting on his personal crisis of faith in his Christian walk and then reflect on God’s word and pour over the classic writings of Bonhoeffer and see how they applied to the struggle at hand.

What I found refreshing and inspiring was the author’s openness when discussing his own personal struggles with divorce, miscarriages, depression, suffering and grief. I found myself encouraged, entertained and inspired many times as Walker reminds us of the relevance still today of God’s Word and the writings of Bonhoeffer. But also as I read the book I wanted to read more of the primary sources written by the martyred German Lutheran pastor, Bonhoeffer.

If your going through some crisis "Breakfast with Bonhoeffer" will remind you that God is with you in the midst of the storm and that total reliance on Christ is the only way. If one is looking for a more in scholarly in depth study of the writings of Bonhoeffer this would not be suffice. In the end I would also recommend this book to those who have maybe heard of or wanted to read Bonhoeffer but have not and would like to get a more practical introduction into his works and thought on living out the Christian faith. ( )
  moses917 | Nov 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Breakfast with Bonhoeffer was a good book. I enjoyed most of the chapters but found myself wanting to read the 'other' book the author had written on Bonhoeffer. The 'other' book was the impetus for this one. Each day during the writing process of the 'other' book the author would spend time reflecting on what he was learning about himself through the writings of Bonhoeffer. These ponderings are the basis of BwB.

The stories and experiences are nice and I found myself along for the ride...but it also felt a bit too tidy for me. The writing style is simple and easy to read and I believe that this book could be a wonderful introduction for 'new to Bonhoeffer' folks. Having read much of Dietrich B. I found myself wanting a bit more (I may buy that 'other' book - so maybe 'this' book has served its purpose).

Overall I'd recommend this book to those that have wanted to read Bonhoeffer but desire to ease into it. This book is a good 'night-stand' book - something to breeze through before drifting off to sleep (or maybe over breakfast would be more appropriate).

**I received a free review copy of this book from the publisher** ( )
  pa5t0rd | Oct 28, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is autobiographical as he ponders Bonhoeffer's writings and how they impact the author's life. There are several soundbites that are memorable: "Most of us try to live with one eye on Jesus and one eye on the world. The only thing that does is give us double vision."! "Why do we ask what Jesus would do instead of asking Jesus what he wants us to do?" "One reason so many of us are stuck in spiritual immaturity is that we commit to Christ rather than submit to Christ." "We do not suffer outside the sovereignty and power of God. Whether it is righteous suffering or self-inflicted, God uses suffering to lovingly squeeze out the things out of us that we might otherwise ignore or excuse - the sin, disobedience, and apathy that will get us flagged by security at the gates of the Kingdom of Heaven." "How is it possible to live the life of faith when we grow weary of prayer, when we lose our taste for reading the Bible, and when sleep, food and sensuality deprive us of the joy of communion with God?"
  Agape | Oct 24, 2012 |

Reading like a non-fiction novel with a story both heart-breaking and heart-warming, Walker reveals how God used the writings of Bonhoeffer to push him past the Christ-less beliefs and religious thinking that had come to represent his faith.

While Jon Walker was encountering Bonhoeffer every day as he wrote the books Costly Grace and In Visible Fellowship, he found his world collapsing and his faith faltering. After almost twenty years in ministry, Walker was laid off twice, lost his home and savings, was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder, and then his wife filed for divorce just a few days before their twenty-fourth anniversary.

Bonhoeffer saw the storms of political upheaval and pressure on Christians coming at warp speed, and he called believers to meet it head on by following Jesus, who bids believers to come and die.

In BREAKFAST WITH BONHOEFFER, Walker brings to a new generation the timeless teachings of Bonhoeffer, especially the teaching that calls Jesus' followers to break free from the tyranny of popular culture and religious thinking. It also o!ers hope for those who face loss or have been hurt by the economic downturn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jon Walker's book Breakfast with Bonhoeffer was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible