A Woman's Right to Rest: Fourteen Types of…

A Woman's Right to Rest: Fourteen Types of Biblical Rest That Can…

by Denise George

197537,190 (4.17)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a great book. In our hurried culture it is difficult to justify time spent in thought, reflection and rest. I think this is especially true for women. Women have so many responsibilities in the home, in our communities and at work for some.

Our churches are continually demanding more and more of us and while my recent studies in Nehemiah convict me that we are to be servants for God- it is important to refill ourselves so that we can be servants without demonstrating bitterness and resentment.

A worthwhile read- I definitely recommend it. ( )
  TABrowne | Jun 26, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's taken me a while to actualy work my way through this book, I wanted to address it as a study not just something to read. So glad I did! I would highly recommend getting a copy and working through it, especially with some female friends, you won't regret making time for it. ( )
  VirginiaGill | Apr 2, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Among a gathering of Christian women, you'll probably find each individual 'owning' a particulart chapter. This writing really works well if you stay with it - use it as a fun, thought-provoking group study, then keep it with you to review throughout the week. I'm always drawn to study books that reference scripture; no better book to prove a point, and this book is loaded with scripture references. ( )
  totsgram | Feb 15, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
'A Woman's Right to Rest' by Denise George has 14 chapters on ways the Christian needs to rest. Like most of the female population, at this time, I didn't feel like I should rest. There is so much to do in life! And, besides we feel guilty when we do, believing rest is the same as laziness. Even though I don't have an outside job, I feel like I have to push myself to get it all done!
I found out that rest is even encouraged in the Bible, citing the many times in the Bible where Jesus rested. (I didn't know that I can even nap when I need to!) There are many types of rest besides just physical rest, such as resting in peace, resting in friendships, even resting in a crisis.
This book can be used as a private study guide, or as a group Bible study for discussions.
If you are feeling like you can't keep it all together, with jobs, mother, wife, and everything else we do, read this book and learn to rest in life, too. ( )
  jbbkelsey | Dec 30, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
How do you explain a book that frees you from something you did not know you were enslaved to? How do you tell women that what they have been taught for centuries is --- if not exactly a lie --- is at least not the whole truth? How do you convince them that God has a far more beautiful, more loving plan than the round of ceaseless toil that so many have become accustomed to?

Denise George has done just that with A Woman’s Right to Rest, published by Leafwood in September 2012.

Divided into studies of fourteen different types of rest and showing how each is both Biblical and necessary to physical and spiritual health, this book addresses the needs of the whole woman. Dealing not only with the obvious needs for physical and emotional rest, George covers the need for the rest that comes from such unexpected sources as friends, forgiveness, contentment, beauty and peace, memory, and prayer. She also addresses the need for rest during times of crisis or when involved in demanding care-taking situations. She dispels the common myths about rest with mandates and inferences drawn directly from Scripture. (If God Himself rested, she says, “How can anyone refer to rest as unscriptural, or to those who rest as lazy?”)

Far from a dry bible study, however, George makes the lessons come alive by illustrating the lessons with compelling personal examples and stories from other women who have struggled to learn to rest. George writes “God never intended his daughters to live in this continual survival mode filled with hectic schedules, deadlines, chaos, and unrelenting noise.” And, in this book, she explains that God intends --- indeed, commands --- that his daughters should rest, and offers practical ways for them to learn to enjoy following that often forgotten command. ( )
  Editormum | Oct 6, 2012 |

This book presents the fourteen different types of biblical rest and shows how tired and overworked women can incorporate them into their everyday lives.

Today's Christian women are tired. They battle exhaustion--physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. They have too much work to do, and far too many people who depend on them. While they may treasure their roles as wives, mothers, church volunteers, and career women, oftentimes, in trying to manage everything well, they forfeit personal rest and refreshment time. Without necessarily meaning to, family members, employers, society, and even the church often urge women to work harder and accomplish more. Some women today believe they have no ''right'' to rest. Many have never been given permission to rest.

Some Christian women admit they feel guilty or selfish when they rest, as if they are wasting their time. These women have never discovered the life-enhancing secrets of biblical rest--the type of rest God's Word clearly teaches. Women need to know that God created them to rest, both the ''put-up-your-feet-for-ten-minutes-rest,'' as well as the deeply-satisfying, life-renewing rest God's Word teaches. God gives his daughters permission to rest--the right to rest!

In A Woman's Right to Rest, you will discover the fourteen distinctive types of rest Scripture teaches and encourages, and that biblical characters (including Jesus himself) demonstrate in the Gospels. You will learn how to incorporate each type of rest into your busy, everyday life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:37 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Denise George's book A Woman's Right to Rest was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,645,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible