The Sons of Jude (Sons of Jude Series) by…

The Sons of Jude (Sons of Jude Series) (edition 2012)

by Brandt Dodson

Member:Draak
Title:The Sons of Jude (Sons of Jude Series)
Authors:Brandt Dodson
Info:Monarch Books (2012), Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

The Sons of Jude (Sons of Jude Series) by Brandt Dodson

They say to never judge a book by its cover. And I don’t. But the cover of the book has to make sense in relation to the story. The cover of Sons of Jude by Brandt Dodson features a young female cop, but there is no young female cop in the story. The story’s main characters are two male cops and a young female reporter. While reading the book, I kept expecting to see a young female cop appear, but it never happened.

While the cover doesn’t make sense to the story, the story itself was good. Amazon features this description:
“The body of a young woman is found in a dumpster in Chicago and detectives Andy Polanski and Frank Campello are charged with finding the killer. The two are polar opposites. Polanski is the son of a disgraced Chicago police officer and is fastidious about his reputation. He has also recently been transferred from another district having blown the whistle on some corrupt cops. Campello, however, takes a live-and-let-live approach to his life and job.
It soon becomes clear, as another young woman--a potential witness--is murdered, that a sex-trafficking operation in Chicago is preying on illegal aliens. As the ill-matched pair dig deeper, an influential alderman and his son are implicated. Then Polanski is framed for a narcotics offense, devastating the cases against the corrupt officers and the alderman. Only when Campello is challenged by a local minister, whom he meets when visiting Polanski, does he find the motivation to seek justice.”

The story itself features interesting characters, all of whom are flawed, which is important to any story. Without exciting and flawed characters, the words on the page can fall flat. The chapters are short, which makes for an easy read, but the book is only 256 pages long and I found the story didn’t really start picking up until halfway through the book. Campbello and Polanski are at odds with each other, but for a main character, Polanski seemingly disappeared halfway through the book, with only a few mentions here and there. Although it’s integral to the story why he stopped appearing on the pages, it still didn’t make sense because his character is integral to the plot of the story.
Sons of Jude is a decent read, if you are a fan of Chicago and police fiction. There’s no question that Brandt Dodson is a former police officer himself. The best part about the story is the accuracy regarding police operations. There was less suspense than I was expecting, and by the end of the book I wasn’t surprised at the outcome, which was a tad disappointing because I like to be surprised and caught off guard when I read crime thrillers or mysteries. I expect a twist that I didn’t see coming, or some great revelation about a character that came from left field. Overall, for a police crime thriller, the book is a good read and should be recommended to fans of crime genres. ( )
  celticlady53 | Feb 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When a good cop exposes bad cops, you would expect that he will be the hero. Well - yes, he is. But not for the other cops. And not for a cop that just lost his partner.

This is how the book opens. And what you follow is what you would expect - noone is what they look, corruption is in places one least expect, people start turning up dead and somewhere along the lines there is love, new partnerships and a lot of action and backstabbing. A lot of the cliches of the genre are there but then you almost cannot write this kind of story otherwise. I wish people stop setting these stories in Chicago though.

And then Dodson remembered that he is actually writing a Christian book - and threw in something about it. Almost like a patch. And an afterthought. It did not change anything and if the parts were removed, the book will not loose anything in any way or form. Which suits me fine - I almost passed on this book because of the publisher and the expectation. ( )
  AnnieMod | Jan 28, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm so sorry its taken so long to review this book.I've have other books from the library that had to be read in 7day.Put this one on the back burners,but so glad I never lost this one.It's so worth the time to read.This is one of the best new authors I've read in a long time.Hope this is not his last one,,,plan to keep reading his books in the future. ( )
  JJKING | Dec 24, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a pretty fun book. Like others, I was a bit surprised by the fact that this was put out by a Christian publisher, so I approached it cautiously. However, I was quickly drawn in, and ended up enjoying the read. ( )
  lisabee | Dec 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fast-paced, thrilling story about good cops, bad cops, the mob, and the people caught between. In this story there's a lot of ethical questions raised on just where the line is that makes a cop good (upholding the law) or bad (on the take or behaving above the law). Frank Campello and Andy Polanski have to learn first to trust each other then everyone else on the squad, and with the corruption in Chicago, it's not an easy task. Fortunately, Christy Lee, a reporter, joins in solving a murder when it becomes clear that the investigation is being thwarted from all sides.

Outside of Dodson's expertise with law enforcement and his believable well-crafted story, what also helps make this story a great read are the refreshingly short chapters, between 2-5 pages each. This technique really made the story flow at a quick pace, almost like watching a movie.

I look forward to reading more in the series. I'm depending on Campello, Polanski, and Lee to clean up Chicago! ( )
  leesalogic | Nov 15, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0857212052, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:44 -0400)

"Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes - and police officers. When Chicago detectives Frank Campello and Andy Polanski are assigned to investigate the murder of Trina Martinez it seems like an ordinary homicide. An unfortunate young girl in the wrong place at the wrong time has been brutally murdered. But their investigation is halted by a wall of silence, a wall erected by powerful interests that will render their inquiry a lost cause. Then they enlist the support of reporter Christy Lee - and come under immediate fire. Polanski is arrested. Campello threatened. Christy is attacked. It's the case that every cop gets. The one that changes his life. The one where justice is elusive and the hunter becomes the hunted. Frank Campello and Andy Polanski are The Sons of Jude."-- Publisher's description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sons of Jude by Brandt Dodson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible