Devil's Pass (Seven the series) by…

Devil's Pass (Seven the series) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Sigmund Brouwer

Member:march13
Title:Devil's Pass (Seven the series)
Authors:Sigmund Brouwer
Info:Orca Book Publishers (2012), Paperback, 256 pages

Devil's Pass by Sigmund Brouwer (2012)

Another great adventure story from Seven the Series. Would be a good readalike for fans of Gary Paulsen, Gary Schmidt, and other outdoorsy-adventure-survival stories. ( )
  RussianLoveMachine | Mar 31, 2014 |
It has been a very long time since I read this author. I read, and enjoyed, a handful of his books way back at the beginning of his career when I lived in Alberta and he was a local author of decidedly children's Christian fiction. He's come a long way since then, entered mainstream publishing, yet from the book I still see, though unobtrusive, a Christian message. Just when I thought Jump Cut was the best of this series, I read this one and it's just as good ... better? hard to say. Some of the books give the grandfather's will and handing out of the quest only a brief set up at the beginning, some reference the grandfather tie-in frequently, others barely at all. Brouwer's book is quite different from all the others (I only have one left to read). He heavily concentrates on the Grandfather, the reading of the will, and the actual circumstances regarding the set up of his quest. This told through a past and present narrative as chapters switch from "Then" to "Now". This was a brilliant way of telling the story and gives the most insight into the Grandfather as a person, equalled only by "Lost Cause". Set in the Northwest Territories Webb's quest involves following the Canol trail with a guide to retrieve something his grandfather left behind during his days as a pilot just after the end of WWII. This is a wilderness survival story, as well as a teen's survival on the streets of Toronto. This is probably the most intense of the books in the series as it deals realistically with child abuse from a stepfather. I found the ex-military stepfather, a bit of a stereotype but nonetheless Brouwer brought a realistic portrayal to the table. An excellent entry in the series! One more book to go, by my favourite author represented in the series, then we shall see which I really thought was the best ... Will it be Ted Staunton's, Sigmund Brouwer's or Shane Peacock's? ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This very well may be one of my favourite books that I’ve read this year. From the moment I picked it up, I knew I had my hands on something GOOD. A fast-paced book, Devil’s Pass gripped me from page 1 and didn’t let me go under after I read the last sentence in the book.

While a fast read, Devil’s Pass wasn’t an easy book on some levels – it deals with being homeless due to child abuse. The main character, Webb, has been abused by his step-father and this book looks at both survival and this particular character’s healing process. It’s gritty and emotional; it all felt so real, yet was hope-inspiring. This book shows how much our actions affect other people, and how that can change who they are – both for better and worse. I am so thoroughly impressed with how Brouwer handled the subject matter in such a mature and relatable way.

I love the concept of this series – seven authors wrote seven books about seven grandchildren who are all affected by the death of their grandfather and the tasks he’s outlined for them in his will. I am definitely looking forward to reading more of these books, but I love that I don’t have to read them in any particular order, or that I don’t even have to read all of them if I don’t want to. This is a brilliant concept, and in the instance of Devil’s Pass was executed perfectly. It left me craving more, but still gave me full closure with the one story I was focused on.

The Bottom Line
I highly recommend this book, and am looking forward to reading both more from this author and more in this series.

Review originally published: http://books.moonsoar.com/archives/2012/11/21/seven-the-series-devils-pass/ ( )
  moonsoar | Nov 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Seventeen year old Webb is living on the streets of Toronto, Canada, alone except for his beloved guitar and the $2,000 in pre-paid bank cards he had stuffed against his body in a money belt. He was about to embark on a cross-country journey to the Northwest Territory on a mission for his grandfather. Two weeks ago, his beloved grandfather passed away. At the funeral, the lawyer showed the family a video that grandfather had filmed when he knew he was dying. Each of his 7 grandsons were sent on a mission, fully funded, by grandfather. Webb's journey would take him to Devil's Pass in Alaska. It was a long trip and along the way, Webb had plenty of time to think about his life thus far, his relationship with his family and would learn more about his grandfather's past. He also learned that the most dangerous animal on earth isn't a grizzly bear...it's a man.

Devil's Pass is one of seven books written by seven different authors all of which were released simultaneously in Oct. 2012. Each book follows one of David McLean's teenaged grandsons as they embark on missions all over the world, sent by their grandfather. The authors are well-known, recognized children's or YA book authors. Devil's Pass, written by Sigmund Brouwer, is exciting, with plenty of danger and adventure experienced by the teenage protagonist. The books will appeal especially to boys in grades 5-8. ( )
  lrobe190 | Nov 8, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not a good judge of young adult fiction, however I very much enjoyed this story. It is a simple enough plot and story, but Brouwer gives it a fast pace. I was hooked early and quite enjoyed this story. ( )
  gslykhuis | Oct 12, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155469938X, Paperback)

Seventeen-year-old Webb's abusive stepfather has made it impossible for him to live at home, so Webb survives on the streets of Toronto by busking with his guitar and working as a dishwasher. When Webb's grandfather dies, his will stipulates that his grandsons fulfill specific requests. Webb's task takes him to the Canol Trail in Canada's Far North, where he finds out that there are much scarier things than the cold and the occasional grizzly bear. With a Native guide, two German tourists and his guitar for company, Webb is forced to confront terrible events in his grandfather's past and somehow deal with the pain and confusion of his own life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:21 -0400)

"Webb, a young street musician, faces grizzly bears and a madman on the Canol Trail when he tries to fulfill a request in his late grandfather's will"--Unedited summary from book.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sigmund Brouwer's book Devil's Pass was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,810,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible