Ink Me by Richard Scrimger
319357,052 (3.35)None
    From Charlie's Point of View by Richard Scrimger (souci)
    souci: Same writer, different boy with differing abilities.
    The Maze of Bones by Rick Riordan (Anonymous user)

it's about the life of his family life and school how it's discorant. ( )
  Dakota1116 | Mar 3, 2015 |
The events of INK ME are, for better or worse, highly topical, and the story reflects themes that have appeared in some of Richard Scrimger's other novels. There is serious violence in this text, although it is somewhat muted; the threats characters make are palpable, and the atmosphere of the story, despite Bunny's comic tone, is distinctly ominous. Readers may want to talk about the book after it ends, and the text would lend itself well to group discussion in an appropriate classroom or book group. There are so many directions this conversation could take; this is a surprisingly rich book, despite its casual presentation.

I really liked the novel. It is clever in its execution and wise in its thematic treatment. I am also intrigued by the concept of the series this book belongs to, involving seven interlocking but non-sequential texts written by seven distinct authors. I look forward to reading the other volumes in the series.

Read my complete review in RESOURCE LINKS 18.1 (Oct 2012).
  laVermeer | Jan 4, 2014 |
This series has no particular reading order and I picked this one next because two of the books take place within Canada so I thought I'd get to one of those next and this author was totally new to me; I'd never even heard of him before. I've highly enjoyed every book in this series so far but have to say this one did not do much for me. The significance of the Grandfather is quickly forgotten in this entry after Bernard (everyone calls him Bunny) gets the tattoo as instructed in the will. Every now nd then he is mentioned but we have no idea what purpose this quest had for Bunny. His tattoo quickly gets him (a white boy) accepted into an all black street gang and involved in gang activities, mostly reckless but harmless, until a deal goes down involving drugs, guns and money. The book starts with Bunny being asked to write his account of what happened in a police station and this is how the book proceeds; Bunny's written narrative. The book is hard to read as Bunny is somewhat illiterate and the writing is full of spelling mistakes and words are written in his own vernacular. Bunny is also not quite ... right. Nothing is ever said what is wrong with him. But he continually refers to himself as "stupid" and not smart enough; he also has a fixation with counting mundane things. My impression was that he may have been autistic. I didn't find the story very believable as Bunny obviously needs to be watched over to some degree and his parents leave him to his own devices to the extent that it is neglectful, his acceptance into the gang is questionable and how he gets away with giving the impression he's someone he's not is also. On top of all that the question of why this all happens in the first place is too pat of an explanation, quickly accepted by all. I enjoyed parts of it, especially the race relations when the black gang accepts Bunny as a member and Bunny's colourless (raceless) viewpoint of people, which is often a symptom of autism, and his naive yet profound race questions.

From this point my next book in the series is quite obvious as Bunny has a brother who has his own quest and he is mentioned often in this book with his texts to Bunny playing a major role in what transpires in this story. So next up will be Ted Staunton's Jump Cut. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The premise of the book is fantastic - seven grandchildren each given a task by their late grandfather. "Ink Me" follows Bernard (Bunny) as he tries to complete the task set for him, but inadvertently goes astray.

The book is written in the first person, with Bunny telling the story, but was difficult to read: the spelling is that of a teenager who has not mastered grammar or spelling.

Once past the deliberate mis-spellings (ie: dint = didn't, sum1, a gres of = aggressive) the story reads well, and the plot is very engaging, with clever and unexpected twists.
  Ceolach | Nov 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The series seems like an interesting idea: multiple books, and you can start with any one of them. Unfortunately, I started with Ink Me.

The premise for the book is mildly interesting: Bernard (Bunny) is instructed by his grandfather's will to get a tattoo. A strange request.... and that's as far as I got. I just couldn't read any more. It's told in first person, and Bunny absolutely cannot spell, though his grammar seemed fine (aside from the complete lack of quote marks for speech). (He has some sort of mental disorder, maybe?)
After struggling through the first chapter, I thought, well, ok, that wasn't so bad, a nice taste of the character, now let's get on with real writing I can actually read. No such luck. It takes so long to interpret the writing I feel like the story is moving through molasses.

As an example:
You wont beleev what grampa wantd me to do. What my task was. Reddy? OK here it is. He wantd me to get a tatoo. I no isnt that crazy? Isnt that the weerdest thing? A tatoo. Wen I red the letter I went NO WAY and startd laffing.

I suppose it's a clever way to get you into the mind of the character right of the bat (when he doesn't yet have character), but it really did not work for me.

I might try another book in the series, because it seems like a fun idea, but I do not recommend this one unless you can deal with that kind of writing. ( )
  Ignolopi | Oct 10, 2012 |
To my mom, who may not have much time for gang wars or tattoos but who loves kids and books as much as anyone around.

Bunny doesn't understand why his late grandfather wants him to get a tattoo. Actually, Bunny doesn't understand a lot of things, so it's good that his older brother, Spencer, is happy to explain things to him. But this is a task Bunny is supposed to do on his own, and nobody is more surprised than Bunny when, after he gets tattooed, he is befriended by a kid named Jaden and adopted into Jaden's gang.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Scrimger's book Ink Me was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible