Cleanup by Norah McClintock

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This would be a good book to recommend for someone who likes an easy mystery and doesn't consider themselves a readers. Connie gets to work and discovers her coworker, Maria, a Colombian who is working as an illegal immigrant, standing over the body of their employer, Richard Withers. Maria swears that she did not kill Richard and begs Connie to solve the mystery so Maria doesn't go to jail for a crime she didn't commit. Fast and enjoyable, although I had trouble believing parts of the story.
  JRlibrary | May 31, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The biggest problem with this book is that it's incredibly short. I'd barely started it and realized that it was almost over and we were entering the climax of the ending. The plot was also weirdly complicated, with lots of weird love entanglements and other things that didn't make a lot of sense. If it were more fleshed out, it could've been good.

I also never felt anything for the main character. I didn't get to know her at all. Sure, I learned her basic backstory, but I can't remember ever learning anything about her that made her a person and not just a point of view.

To be fair, the other characters were just as one-sided. They had their personality and they stuck to it. When secrets came to the surface, they were just kind of pasted onto the character. Nothing ever really took me by surprise because I barely knew the characters to begin with. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jan 16, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When Connie Suarez's friend Maria is suspected of a murder she did not commit, she does everything in her power to clear Maria's name.

I have to say, this was not the best book I have ever read. It wasn't the worst, but it could have been better. For example, it was kind of predictable. I knew that Maria didn't murder anyone and I had an idea of who did.

Also, this book brought up more questions than answers. For example, why would a man in his eighties fall in love with a young woman who works as a maid? That puzzled me.

Other than that, it was an okay book. Not one of my favourites, but not one of the books that I hate either. I recommend this to all of my family and friends. ( )
  IreneReads | Nov 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When Connie Suarez gets to work she finds her employer, Richard Withers, murdered. And standing over the body is her coworker Maria, an illegal immigrant from Colombia. Maria begs Connie, a former attorney, to help her find out who killed him and prove her innocence. Connie agrees and finds herself discovering that Maria has not been completely honost with her and is still keeping secrets from her. It up to Connie to find out who killed Mr. Withers and clear Maria's name.

This book is very short and easy to read. I was able to finish it on less than two hours. This story could have been better if there had been more added to the story. The characters seemed unrealistic and the dialogue didn't feel natural at towards the end of the story. This book does have potential but it just seems too short. It feels unfinished.
  Kevinbw309 | Oct 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I gave this book 4 stars based on it being a good quick read. I have read several books in the Rapid Reads series and have enjoyed them all. This book, like the others, was well plotted and with sufficient character .development to make a pleasurable reading experience. I am not normally a fan of short stories or novellas because I like details. I like to understand the motivations of characters and to experience the setting. Therefore, the fact that I enjoyed this Rapid Read and the others is probably due to good authors and editors. ( )
  Alice_Wonder | Oct 28, 2012 |
For Sarah and everyone else who cleans up other people's messes.
Maria called me before I got out of bed.

When her employer is murdered, Connie Suarez, a former legal secretary who now works as a maid, must do whatever she can to protect her co-worker and friend, Maria, an illegal alien who is the prime suspect in the crime, from being arrested or deported.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Norah McClintock's book Cleanup was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,361,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible